Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UHMW bottom

Default UHMW bottom

Im thinking of having the umhv on the bottom of my SJX expanded who does the best work in the valley and for approximate how much thanks Chris

Default Uhmw

Good luck, AK airboats offers it for a nice price. My husband did it himself for much less.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default uhmw

Sorry I ment to say uhmw it was a long night last night

About how much did it cost him and how did what did he hold the uhmw to the boat

Quote Originally Posted by akmommy View Post
    Good luck, AK airboats offers it for a nice price. My husband did it himself for much less.

Alaska Airboats did a custom full bottom on my Phantom and stands behind their work. They are the place to contact if your serious about getting the work done right. While you could try to do it yourself, IMO matching the old to the new (not to mention the additional seams) may prove to be problematic unless you're experienced working with the materials. Who installed the existing umhw?

Do yourself a favor; call Alaska Airboats and ask for Leonard (907) 376-6183 he can answer all your questions so you can make an informed decision.

Besides, if in the end he does take the work, he may need some time to order a special glue for the bottom of your SJX.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by akmommy View Post
    the work on this boat is most certainly better than what you'll get from AK Airboats and approx 25% of the cost....I've seen bottoms done at AK Airboats and I've seen this one....

If you have the time, do yourself a favor and do it yourself.....don't get me wrong, a guy could certainly make a mess if he tried to rush the job, but if you take your time and plan it out you'll be fine....the biggest pain in the arse is going to be getting all the stuff out of the boat and flipping it.....

AlaskanOutdoorsman makes a good point about the seams you'll be dealing with to scab on some new UH....do you ever hit areas of the bottom not already covered by UH?...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

No havent hit anything just thinking about it for now dont think I would try and do it myself. Does anyone know what AK Airboats charges for a bottom?

I'm going out there today to find out how much for my predator. i want to keep my new bottom kinda new.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    No havent hit anything just thinking about it for now dont think I would try and do it myself. Does anyone know what AK Airboats charges for a bottom?

Im a DIY type of guy, and I put uhmw on the bottom of my airboat. Before you decide to install uhmw on your boat you need to determine if it can be done with out affecting the performance. The 2nd thing you need to determine is the best way to secure the uhmw, and if your boat bottom is two thin or you do not have a lot of bracing you may not be happy after you hit a rock or two or three. You need to do this if you have it done or you DIY because the shop will tell you tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    the work on this boat is most certainly better than what you'll get from AK Airboats and approx 25% of the cost....I've seen bottoms done at AK Airboats and I've seen this one....

[...] AlaskanOutdoorsman makes a good point about the seams you'll be dealing with to scab on some new UH....do you ever hit areas of the bottom not already covered by UH?...
    It depends on the level of coverage he currently has and it also depends on the material type - my comment was general in nature. I don't know what his boat's coverage is; only that it's an SJX. As to the comparison on quality of work you may be right. Personally, the pictures above don't do the DIY kit justice compared to the work I've seen on a number of AA projects.

I'm all for saving money but sometimes its better to have someone else do the work - or it may cost you in the end. I don't believe a DIY job will improve your apprasal for re-sale like a professional job would and DIY may void your warranty and/or be an issue when it comes to dealing with your insurance company.

Just something to consider.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    Personally, the pictures above don't do the DIY kit justice
    you are correct...those pics were of the start of the project...looking at the finished product is impressive...and unlike some of the other UH jobs I've seen, it hasn't leaked a bit....

I'm all for saving money but sometimes its better to have someone else do the work - or it may cost you in the end.
    very true...but in this case it would be worth a persons time to check out both options... the extra money will not get an average person better results...if you have the time/desire, go for it...

I don't believe a DIY job will improve your apprasal for re-sale like a professional job would
    why...if you do a good job, a boat appraiser will be equally impressed...

and DIY may void your warranty
    when you drill a couple hundred holes in your boat Im pretty sure it voids the hull warranty...I don't care who drills 'em....

my comment was general in nature.
    and so are mine...I don't want to talk smack about any business, your experiences may vary....just want to point out that most average joe's can handle the job....
    pull my finger....

Skybust, PM me if you have any questions or want more photos.

AK Mike, 48'' center UHMW with 12" wings exposed. Yes, at first my plan was to cover the entire bottom, but after a couple years of raking the gravel with this boat I found that in extreme rare running did I hit the outer edge. Certainly not enough to warrant additional UHMW IMO.

Alaskanoutdoorsman,

My wife posted the pics of our boat.

From you previous posts it sounds as though you are somewhat new to jet boating (correct me if I am wrong). Great if you are, you have such great interest and opinion in boating.

I do agree if a person does not have the "ability" to take on such a task(UHMW), please don't.

Have you ever walked into the boat shop you mention prior the job being completed? I have, more than once, and all projects half done look half done....Go figure?

I did local research and thank CAC Plastics and Fire&Fastener for the materials and AK Air-boats for their suggestions/opinions.

I am very satisfied with the quality of the UHMW and its installation.We do not own an "SJX" our boat is an XS. the UHMW I installed has been flawless and has well over 600 water hours of use. TJMs testaments are based on the many hours we spend boating together, and others who have UHMW installed "Professionally".

You seem to have a bias opinion and I will not attempt to convince you on this forum.... So often words are cheap.

I am willing to share more info for those interested in the process.

BTW.
    I am not sure a sea-ark qualifies as "a tank".

Thanks

Jason

I have 22 inches of UHMW from center out is that how your boat is set up. Thanks Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kove View Post
    Skybust, PM me if you have any questions or want more photos.

AK Mike, 48'' center UHMW with 12" wings exposed. Yes, at first my plan was to cover the entire bottom, but after a couple years of raking the gravel with this boat I found that in extreme rare running did I hit the outer edge. Certainly not enough to warrant additional UHMW IMO.

Alaskanoutdoorsman,

My wife posted the pics of our boat.

From you previous posts it sounds as though you are somewhat new to jet boating (correct me if I am wrong). Great if you are, you have such great interest and opinion in boating.

I do agree if a person does not have the "ability" to take on such a task(UHMW), please don't.

Have you ever walked into the boat shop you mention prior the job being completed? I have, more than once, and all projects half done look half done....Go figure?

I did local research and thank CAC Plastics and Fire&Fastener for the materials and AK Air-boats for their suggestions/opinions.

I am very satisfied with the quality of the UHMW and its installation.We do not own an "SJX" our boat is an XS. the UHMW I installed has been flawless and has well over 600 water hours of use. TJMs testaments are based on the many hours we spend boating together, and others who have UHMW installed "Professionally".

You seem to have a bias opinion and I will not attempt to convince you on this forum.... So often words are cheap.

I am willing to share more info for those interested in the process.

BTW.

Thanks

Jason

Default Uhmw

One of many pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BTW.
    ..lol...sorry Mike....that's funny...
    pull my finger....

But guys it green. Don't get me wrong i like my boat. Couple more week and we will be one the river.

I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to do the bottom myslef or have Ak/airboats do it. I learned alot last year on the river i know were i can go and were not to push it anymore. If do the bottom myslef I'll do this winter at my dads hanger. just got to get him to park his plane outside. for a week or so.

i have been wanting to do this to my predator but the only way to cover the whole bottom would be to cut strips at an angle so they but up to the ribs along the sides, then what do you do about the little bit of rib that would stick down farther then the UHMW? is everyone using half inch? how are you bolting it? tap the hole then use lock nuts?...

[...] You seem to have a bias opinion and I will not attempt to convince you on this forum.... So often words are cheap.
    [...] BTW. I am not sure a sea-ark qualifies as "a tank".
    No bias - just my opinion based on research and discussions with others on the subject. I wouldn't do this job myself but that's me. AA put's your boat under vacuume when installing the UHMW for a better seal and bond. I've searched various threads on the internet and never heard of someone going to this degree in their garage. Somethings are worth the money to some, to others, its not. To each their own.

My Phantom is my second jet (first inboard) and fourth I've owned (excluding all those canoes, kayak's and my wife's paddle boat)

As to the 'tank', the comment (made in a different thread) may be uncanny to some, but it felt like a good comparison after comparing a Phantom and SJX to a 24' SeaArk with a 150 hp outboard jet and a welded 6' tall alum enclosure attached to the floor of a boat in Deweys yard.

Call me silly if you want, but IMO it looked like a tank!

The true test of witch method is best for applying UHMW will be the test of time.

For now screwing it down is still the best way, because there is no way to build a bottom that a person can not destroy and Alaska Rivers are full of rocks. If your UHMW is screw down it can be removed, the bottom repaired and the bad sections of UHMW also replace. If your UHMW is glued on the cost of repair is going to be several times more than using screws.

If I were to add UHMW to my boat I would want to know what the cost difference between using glue and screws? How hard is it to replace UHMW that is glued or screwed on? What is warrant if you hit a rock and the glue does not hold?

In Alaska we have a temperature range between 80*F and 60*F; I do not know if the glue that is use will hold @ -60*F or is differences between the expansion of Aluminum and UHMW is the same.

You should call airboats of alaska and ask them some questions.

1.Screwing down in not the best way no more.

2.Learond at air boats alaska said if you can knock off the uhmw on the bottom he will fix it free of charge. his words. (unless you drag you boat down the road behind your truck)

3. yes all uhmw can be removed.

4. I would say the glue works great no one on here has said anything about glue no holding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    The true test of witch method is best for applying UHMW will be the test of time.

For now screwing it down is still the best way, because there is no way to build a bottom that a person can not destroy and Alaska Rivers are full of rocks. If your UHMW is screw down it can be removed, the bottom repaired and the bad sections of UHMW also replace. If your UHMW is glued on the cost of repair is going to be several times more than using screws.

If I were to add UHMW to my boat I would want to know what the cost difference between using glue and screws? How hard is it to replace UHMW that is glued or screwed on? What is warrant if you hit a rock and the glue does not hold?

In Alaska we have a temperature range between 80*F and 60*F; I do not know if the glue that is use will hold @ -60*F or is differences between the expansion of Aluminum and UHMW is the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast