Thread: Gwen Lake Fort Rich?

Default Gwen Lake Fort Rich?

Has anyone fished Gwen Lake on Fort Rich. Is it worth fishing, it looks like from the stocking info there could be some good rainbows if it isn't fished too hard. How about pike. It is on the fish and games list as a confirmed pike lake.

Default Fort Rich Lakes

Iv'e fished Gwen a bunch in the summer months and it's a real treat as the stockies in there tend to really target insects on the surface, so fishing dry flies is a blast.
    During the winter however, I drive right by on my way to Clunie Lake.

If you going ice fishing, my advice is to keep on trucking until you get to Clunie. Great ice fishing in there!

Default Gwen Lake

That's what I've heard. I will have to check out Clunie Lake then. Thanks for the info.

I spoke to a wild life guy on Rich a few years back and he said for some reason Gwin has a big die off during the winter months. There might be a few hold overs but not much.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I spoke to a wild life guy on Rich a few years back and he said for some reason Gwin has a big die off during the winter months. There might be a few hold overs but not much.
    It is not very deep. It freezes solid except for maybe a very small area.

Clunie Rules
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Clunie Rules
    Clunie is my favorite lake on base
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Relatively new to ice fishing. What do you use...shrimp, jigs?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Clunie Rules
    SHHH. Be very very quiet.

Default Try tubing Gwen Lake

It's easy to access (if you have access to post) and a blast to float. I try to take my float tube out there a couple of times a year. You can generally see eagles overhead or picking out trout, the fish are always willing to cooperate, and there are sometimes beavers sharing the float with you. A great intro to Alaska for many Soldiers. Plus the lake's small enough that you don't kill yourself getting from one side to the other.

As for ice fishing, try single salmon eggs or shrimp.

John

This year I will cannoe around Clunie. You don't even think your on base it's so far away from everything
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default you brought back some memories

I use to fish that lake when i was stationed at rich back in the late 70s early 80s. My first time on the ice on that lake we used a rappala jigging minow in 2 feet of water and just had a hay day. we had fish all over the ice in the 20 inch range. we took enough for a meal in the barracks for 3 guys and put the rest back. i believe it was at first ice. went back a few more times but didnt do as well as our first trip . we use to fish clunie alot too.
    those were the good ole days

Quote Originally Posted by John_Pennell View Post
    It's easy to access (if you have access to post) and a blast to float. I try to take my float tube out there a couple of times a year. You can generally see eagles overhead or picking out trout, the fish are always willing to cooperate, and there are sometimes beavers sharing the float with you. A great intro to Alaska for many Soldiers. Plus the lake's small enough that you don't kill yourself getting from one side to the other.

As for ice fishing, try single salmon eggs or shrimp.

John
    Anybody can access the lakes on military property that are stocked by the State of Alaska. You simply have to get a free recreational access permit or RAP card at the front gate. Follow the procedures by using the telephonic system and presto you can fish, hunt, ride 4 wheelers or camp on military land! Military property is open for the general public if they are not using the area for military training. The State would not stock the lakes if the residents of the state could not fish the water.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com