Thread: breathable hip-waders

Default breathable hip-waders

I need new hip-length waders. I love my Cabela's Dry Plus (I think) pants, but they are quite worn now. They are also noisy. The fabric itself in krinkly and they are a bit scratchy going through brush. Anyone use any that are fairly quiet? Is neo better for this than breathable fabrics? Does neo breathe at all? Thanks. j

Neoprene does not breath. You are guaranteed to sweat wearing it.

Whatever you do, don't get Goretex breathables. They are incredibly noisy. That said, Cabelas Dry Plus is decent as are Hodgman breathables. They get quieter when you get them wet. If you are using them for hunting I would not worry too much about the noise you are hearing now while they are dry. Once you get on a river or start sloshing through some tundra you won't even hear the waders.

Smile Dry Plus, Gore tex should tremble

I think the dry plus stuff you had is probably as good as it gets. I hunted in the dry plus chest waders the past two years for moose...and loved it. The boys were drying socks while I drank beer. Stream crossings are a breeze, and your raincoat doesn't drip into your hippers. I work in waders half the year and still think these are the "best for the money" wader out there. They are light, comfy, and as long as you immediately goop the inside seam from your ankle to your knee, they are very hardy. I have a new pair of Simms bla bla bla - Tex that my work bought me and I usually wear my cheapy Cabela's.

Agreed, Gore-Tex is like wearing cymbals on your back, and you cry like a child if you tear them on a beaver stick since they are so expensive. This past year I wore a light pair of capilene longjohns and then the waders over them for a September moosehunt in marginal weather. I noted the noise just as you did and ended up wearing some old saddle cloth camo pants over them. The pants eventually got wet and somewhat heavy, but between the capilene and dry plus, I was dry and toasty...and quiet. I used Corkers wading boots with the lug outsole and found them to be no different than a normal stroll through the alders. (I used felt bottoms the year before...I am sure you can imagine how that went )

As far as hippers go though, I've also had good luck with hodgman wadewell canvas hipboots...better than neoprene, but not as nice as breathables.

Default roger that

Thanks for the info. I have used the Cabela pants with the integral boot foot, as I am paranoid about forgetting my **** boots and slogging around in stocking feet. They lasted me about 3 yrs, with a few tears, and are now leaking at the weak point; where the fabric joins the much thicker rubber. I tried wearing very thin cotton-poly pants over them once, but it seemed to be a little "binding". But, **** they are nice for crossing rivers and being able to sit and not get your buttinski wet. Glad to hear they are about as quiet as they get; I guess I'll order another pair. j

Default wow

Reading my last post, I guess that even the "d" word is not allowed here. Sorry about that. I KNEW not to use the "f" word, but, dang, I never even thought about d*&n.

Default Never understood the waist high waders

HI,

When i first got into waterfowling, I thought, hey, I'll buy some waist high waders. They look like they fit just like a pair of pants from the cabelas picture. I bet they'll be comfortable. I was told you buy according to the boot size which I wear between 11-12 size boot. I first tried a pair of hodgedon waist high waders (neoprene) and they were very loose around the waist (the boots fit though). I didn't like them so I returned them and bought the cabelas dry plus waist high waders. These too were extremely baggy around my waist even though the boots fit. What I'm trying to say is, I don't understand the whole waist high wader concept. They do not fit like pants and I don't feel comfortable in them. Soooo, on that note, if someone wants to buy a worn once pair of cabelas dry plus waist high waders (I think they were size 11 or 12 boot), I'll gladly sell them to you in about 1.5 months when I return to anchorage from Iraq.

Sincerely,
    Mike

Default Mike

I wish your feet were smaller! Yes, they are baggy, but I have worn them for days (were my only pants) and climbed a few thousand feet in them and did OK. It was great to be able to walk through deep snow and not get wet, too. Etc. They have their plusses and minuses, like anything. Noise is one. Good luck in Iraq.

Default Muck Hip Waders

Has anyone tried the Muck boot product? They make some great stuff, just wondering...