Thread: ffl to ffl shipping?

Default ffl to ffl shipping?

I have several long guns and a few pistols that I need to get to Alaska. They are not collectors items or high dollar customs. They do however have tremendous sentimental value.

I have a local (alaska) FFL prepared to receive.
    I have an FFL in the lower 48 prepared to ship.

Any suggestions or advice before I put this process in motion?

Do I choose the shipping method or is that up the FFL?

Registered? Insured?

I thought I'd seen a thread recently about shipping guns but can't seem to find it now...

Thanks...

If they are long guns you can mail them from yourself to yourself via USPS without involving an FFL dealer. Just insure them for what they would cost to replace and not a penny more because no one will pay you for sentimental value if they are lost or damaged.
    Tennessee

Snowwolf is right, i have sent myself several rifles or shotguns as well.
    If they are yours and you are putting them in the mail and sending them to youself you are legal.
    Handguns is another story you must go with an FFL.
    Long guns have to be unloaded with NO ammo in the package shipped to you with nothing on the outside stating firearms
    Hope this helps

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

hap

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Snowwolf is right, i have sent myself several rifles or shotguns as well.
    If they are yours and you are putting them in the mail and sending them to youself you are legal.
    Handguns is another story you must go with an FFL.
    Long guns have to be unloaded with NO ammo in the package shipped to you with nothing on the outside stating firearms
    Hope this helps
    You can mail long guns "from yourself, to yourself" without an FFL on either end.

If you are not there you can have someone else send them to an FFL on the receiving end.

Handguns may be shipped to yourself, from yourself , but have to go by common carrier (fedex, or UPS)...
    art

Do they have to be sent Overnight Air, or can they go by 2nd day air, or Ground ?

Which would be cheaper UPS, or FEDEX ?

hap

There is no law about how they have to be shipped... But UPS and FedEx both insist on overnighting guns... It gets real expensive real fast.

As an FFL I get to use USPS for handguns and they fit in Flat Rate Priority mail boxes, supplied by the USPS for a small fraction of UPS and FedEx... I received a package yesterday from a fellow moving up here. He sent his pistols through an FFL outside to me to use USPS and still saved money after the FFL fees...

I think I despise UPS more than FedEx at this point!

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    Do they have to be sent Overnight Air, or can they go by 2nd day air, or Ground ?

Which would be cheaper UPS, or FEDEX ?
    There are no laws about overnight or next day just the company rules. USPS mail is cheapest to and from Alaska. For long guns just mail from and to yourself, for handguns FFL to FFL through the USPS mail is usually as cheap or cheaper than UPS and FedEx. If your military there are FFLs that will do it for $10 and postage, some just the postage. I have an FFL guy in the Valley that is $10 for anyone, look at the FFL list on Gunbroker.com you will see their location price.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona