Thread: Goodnews Kings on the Fly

Default Goodnews Kings on the Fly

Heading to the Goodnews this July for a float trip. Are kings accessible from the shore or is a power boat preferable? Do a substantial number of dollies usually make it into the river by mid July!

Thanks

No motor needed for fishing the actual river. If you are planning on playing in the 5 mile tidally influenced area between the forks and the village of Goodnews Bay, different story. But we took out just past the lodge and had a planned ride into the village. Most folks floating the river do this or have a float plane pick up at this location. Literally a wood sign on river right just after (below) the forks that reads "Take Out". Kind of idiot proof. We had actually opted for the plane pick up at this location but weather prevented it so our back up plan was the boat pick up from Goodnews Bay. The following suggestions are assuming you are floating the 62 mile river, then taking out at the normal take out. Consider a mesh bag (rock bag) for an anchor system as that would come in handy along with 20' of rope. Good for stopping mid river or along a few of the bluffs in lower sections of river. Also, for stopping mid stream in the middle river's braided sections while fishing for bows.

Here are some pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...22658629/show/

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

there is a dolly weir on the middle fork you can look up the run timing there. Its a fairly small wadable river, I caught my first king ever there. A power boat would be great for fishing tidewater, I bet the lodge corks themselves out though.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Its a fairly small wadable river.

OP, do keep in mind that the middle fork is smaller than the main fork.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.