Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Range on Ft. Rich

Default Gun Range on Ft. Rich

Is it true that military can shoot at Ft. Rich? When I first got here somebody told me that you just have to watch a safety video then you can use it.

Answer is YES!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Default Civilians too

Civilians can use the skeet range as well, or at least we used to be able to. I didn't go last year, so it may have changed. Nice range, though. Closer to town and not as... hmm... high-horsed as Birchwood.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default FT Rich Range

Yep, I shoot there all the time.....If you have an ID card, (military or retired) all you gotta do is watch a video (10 min) they take all your info. and give you a range card with your own number. when you want to shoot you just check in and sign in, and sign out when done....you can also bring 1 guest and sponser him/ or her.....It a really nice range especially if you want to shoot distance.

Quote Originally Posted by gristec View Post
    Is it true that military can shoot at Ft. Rich? When I first got here somebody told me that you just have to watch a safety video then you can use it.

Really you asked on an internet forum instead of calling range control?

You no longer have to watch the 1980's video you only have to read the Range SOP.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post

You no longer have to watch the 1980's video you only have to read the Range SOP.
    No more requirement for an aircraft spotter and a range safety officer for each six shooters? I think I just might drive past Birchwood if I can shoot for free with fewer people on nicer ranges.

Default YEP

Free shooting; go there all the time. Range to 400 yards. Has target stands and everything.

Get 'er done.

Default Video

Unless they have made some significant changes...

Yes - military can use the sport firing range. However, realize that the troopers, guardsman and reservists use this range as well. These types of units are the only ones who can reserve the range; in other words it can be closed without any warning.

It is free!

Other than that the range master(s) are pretty helpful... you can shoot from 0-400 yards.

Any way for a civilian to use the range without being in some club?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

The range rules are that you must be military active or retired or a dependant of military. No clubs.

Default just join the army club

there are lots of opening in the Army and you'll automaticily be in the club and can use the range.

What no more video from 1990 that was the highlight of the class... I will never go back to BirchWood or Rabbit Creek. The range here is open 7 days a week until 1600-1630... Thier is no rangemaster just the poor guy that signs for the range... It is free and I'm glad only military can use it if other folks were allowed to use it. It would turn into another Birchwood just organized chaos!

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    there are lots of opening in the Army and you'll automaticily be in the club and can use the range.
    LMAO... That is true and you also get a cool M-4 as well

I'm too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    The range rules are that you must be military active or retired or a dependant of military. No clubs.
    Doesn't the Alaska Rifle Club have meets there?

And while I don't in the least bit begrudge military or ex-military using the range for free, I DO begrudge ANOTHER RANGE in Anchorge built and maintained by taxes I pay that I'm barred from using.

I don't think that I'm unreasonable by being pissed off by this.

I guess I had better not tell you about all the other benefits for military paid for with your taxes then.

Default Need another range

I'd just like to see another range in Anchorage, or at least see Rabbit Creek extend its hours past 5:30 pm. That's a real pain. I would do a hell of a lot more shooting if I could do it outside of business hours or if I didn't have to become a member of Birchwood and have to drive all the way out there. Hey .338-06, you wanna go into the gun range business with me? As part owner, you can shoot for free any time you want (wink).

(Hijacked the thread, sorry guys...)

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Doesn't the Alaska Rifle Club have meets there?

And while I don't in the least bit begrudge military or ex-military using the range for free, I DO begrudge ANOTHER RANGE in Anchorge built and maintained by taxes I pay that I'm barred from using.

I don't think that I'm unreasonable by being pissed off by this.

Yes some of the shooting clubs have meets on Fort Richardson ranges, I believe they use the long distance range as it is the only one in the Anchorage area. I am not sure how one goes about doing that though.

As far as your taxes being spent maintaining this range remember it was built and maintained for military units to practice shooting not for people to go shoot their own weapons at. That is just a side benefit when units are not actually using it.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Plus its free to join up and you get a guaranteed paycheck twice a month! Your first four promotions are automatic and you get a yearly pay raise.

Forgot to mention you also get to see all sorts of amazing locations around the world like Afghanistan, Iraq, Panama, Vietnam, Korea, Germany, France, Italy, Africa, etc. Doesn't that sound like a lot of fun?

As far as your taxes being spent maintaining this range remember it was built and maintained for military units to practice shooting not for people to go shoot their own weapons at. That is just a side benefit when units are not actually using it.
    I can see that. I also can see it being restricted only to military units. But the range isn't restricted only to active military units, is it?

Retired military and military dependents. So why not civilians? Don't try to tell me that civilians are too goofy, I've seen some pretty goofy military dependents over the years.

Of all the government(s), that have built ranges in the Anchorage area, I'd like to have one built for ordinary people (me).

And before you mention Rabbit Creek, it wasn't built by the state, it was given to the state. With the ranges pretty much as they are, though the state just shortened the pistol range to 50yds from 100yds for some reason.

I guess what I want is an indoor range I can use, like Fairbanks and Juneau and a 600yd+ rifle range.

And guess what? These exsist in Anchorage right now, just not for 'ordnary people'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast