Thread: Advice on Tongass deer hunting

Default Advice on Tongass deer hunting

Could anybody tell me what cabin on prince of wales island would be a good spot for deer.I have been looking at the cabins in Tongass but am not sure what one to pick.Any help would be great.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garyrad View Post
    Could anybody tell me what cabin on prince of wales island would be a good spot for deer.I have been looking at the cabins in Tongass but am not sure what one to pick.Any help would be great.Thanks
    What time of the year? Are you going to fly in, or take a vehicle to the cabin?

Default advice regarding deer hunting in p.o.w.

I will be going to prince of wales island in the month of september. I will be flying to a cabin when I decide which one. Any help would be great.
    thanks

Try Blackbear cabin.

Sept is alpine time for bucks on POW. Some deer are low, but your odds are much greater up high. Plus, alpine hunting is just awesome.

I think the options would be Black Bear or Josephine for Alpine Lk Cabins on POW. Both are good areas, but both get pressure because of the FS cabins and the fact that float planes can land at them. If I were flying into those cabins, I'd plan on doing a good deal of hiking each day to get away from the cabin and get into less pressured areas. As I said though, you'll be up in some big mountains at those cabins. Good luck and bring good glass. A spotting scope is your friend up on those big mountains.

Default POW BlackTail

I live in Port Protection on the North tip of POW for some time, and found that the further north you go on the island- the less crowded it will be. The island is heaviley hunted. If you are not convinced to go to POW try Admiralty Island off of Juneau. Great cabins- and no roads!