Thread: Kenai river from Kenai lake down!!!!!!! And other areas!

Default Kenai river from Kenai lake down!!!!!!! And other areas!

Is there anyone who has been down the Kenai from the lake to below russian river. Just wanted to know what the water was like, and how the fishing is? I will be buying a 12 riken raft this weekend and hope to float that area a few times this summer.

Also If anyone would like to share some other areas mabey north like little sue or even more north that would be great. Thanks
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

It's a pretty fun, relaxing float with pretty good fishing. The fishing can get a bit better below the Russian confluence when the fish have been running (the trout and dollies swarm in there to collect the eggs and carcasses), but you can get into fish all along there. The water is calm - a few little waves if you want them, but nothing that you need any whitewater skill for. A good float to take visitors on as well, as there are plenty of eagles and often a few bears to see.

-Brian

Default How far below russian?

How far past the russian have you gone? Is there a good pull out spot? Have you made it all the way down to gwens lodge around schooner bend?? Just wondering how long it would take??

Thanks

Default How about skilak lake road pull out?

How far is that if you know?

Default Map

Just a suggestion but log on to Alaska outdoor journal and buy a map, Kenai lake and vicinity from Klondike Kid. Great web site.........it will also help answer most of you Questions. .

Here is the link to the ADF&G regulations for the Upper Kenai. It has river miles on it. There are 3 landings generally used. The Kenai Lake launch, Sportsmans (the Russian River Ferry area) and Jim's landing which is the last takeout before the canyon and Skilak Lake.

The typical float for people is put in at either the lake or sportsmans and go to Jim's Landing.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...sckenaiRus.pdf

Default Sounds good!!

Thanks for the info. I will look into the map and the website. How bad is the cannon durring jun-aug?? I know it will depend on water levels!

If you put in at the Lake and take out at Jim's landing, it can stretch into a 5-6 hour float or more if you pull over to fish for a bit. If you float straight through it is at least 3-4 hours.

Haven't done the canyon in a long time, but I remember it not being too bad (class 2-3?) You need a motor once you get to the lake, though, as it is quite a distance to the landing.

-Brian

Default Are there any spots to camp?

Would I be able to pull over and camp? Again thanks for all the info.

If I told you I'd have to kill you
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.