Thread: When/Where Kings Prince William Sound

Default When/Where Kings Prince William Sound

I was thinking about trolling for some kings this summer launching out of Whittier. When is the best time to go and where can I find some? How Deep? Can it be good fishing or usually slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    I was thinking about trolling for some kings this summer launching out of Whittier. When is the best time to go and where can I find some? How Deep? Can it be good fishing or usually slow?

In my opinion the best early season consistent fishing in PWS is in Bainbridge, Dangerous, and Prince of Wales Passages. You will also find a number of commercial guys out there too (depends), but there are pretty good numbers of fish in those areas if you can locate schools. And most of the time you will find schools by capes, shoals, tide rips, and other promising areas where there could be bait fish. I'm sure others will chime in as well, but those areas are my favorites where I have had sucess.

Most of the Kings in PWS are terminal hatchery runs going to whittier, valdez and cordova, most of the wild fish are copper river fish. In a summer of commercial fishing we caught 3. I'd focus on places they get stocked. Not sure if granite bay does kings or not, but if they do I bet you find some out that way as well
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Reds

When do the reds run in PWS?

Red face Where in PWS

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    When do the reds run in PWS?
    Different areas have different run times. What area? Usually starts earliest the farther out and then Valdez might not get here until September. Yes there are reds here, in my back yard specifically.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Valdez. I heard the Reds were good eating and I didn't want to miss them since I won't be there till July.

Default Maybe

You might be able to find some in Robe River which is fly fishing only. Worth a shot. Silvers could be in there too at that time and some lingering pinks. So it is a shot.

the three main stocks of red are eyak, coghill and eshamay, eyak is starts mid to late may, coghill in late june/early july, and eshamay is late july early august
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default now back to the kings...

Think I would have any luck trolling around or in Culross Passage for kings?

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    Think I would have any luck trolling around or in Culross Passage for kings?
    It's possible to pick up a feeder king anywhere out there, but there aren't any rivers in that area that have spawning populations of kings. That area can be very productive for silvers and pinks, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It's possible to pick up a feeder king anywhere out there, but there aren't any rivers in that area that have spawning populations of kings. That area can be very productive for silvers and pinks, however.
    Which is why you go as far south as possible. I view the PWS king fishery an interception fishery since those kings are general going elsewhere as you wisely noted. The areas I mentioned are not what I would call in the least bit consistent, but sometimes one would run into a number of them. I would assume that these are fish bound for the Copper, or somewhere in Cook Inlet. In my opinion, Seward or Homer (especially Homer) is a much better bet for early kings than PWS is. And if not anything else, the boat ride is shorter.....

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Most of the Kings in PWS are terminal hatchery runs going to whittier, valdez and cordova, most of the wild fish are copper river fish. In a summer of commercial fishing we caught 3. I'd focus on places they get stocked. Not sure if granite bay does kings or not, but if they do I bet you find some out that way as well
    Chinook population mainly from SE rear in PWS just as they do in Kachamak Bay... I have heard some ppl target these fish and have seen pictures of fish bigger then 50 punds.. Assuming the only kings in PWS are those returning to PWSAC hatcheries is very ingonant and uninformed.