Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's O"FISH"IAL

Thumbs up It's O"FISH"IAL

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...rimp%20_2_.pdf

Pot builder and Donalson's are gonna love this news!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Good find, thanks for the post! 8 pots it is!

Default I have to ask?

So, are you not getting enough shrimp with 5 pots. What is the appeal to using 8? I guess it's a "cause you can thing"? I notice an interesting trend amoung people in Alaska. It's a cause you can thing too! Guy goes dipping, gets 85 fish, now he's more of a man than his buddy who only got 32 fish! Neither one of them gonna eat all them fish. Out of self control and respect for the resource Ive never fished more than 4 pots and still brought home roughly 20 gals of tails last year. How many shrimp can me and Gram eat? Heck we still gave plenty away.
    Now if this is a send em down to all your inlaws in Houston thing then I totally understand
    Mike

Mike - What about the guy that has a pregnant wife and will only be able to get out once or twice this year? Running 8 pots as opposed to 5 could make a pretty nice difference in what he's able to put up in the freezer. Not everyone who is out shrimping does it with regularity, and not everyone has a spot that produces 20 gallons in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Guy goes dipping, gets 85 fish, now he's more of a man than his buddy who only got 32 fish! Neither one of them gonna eat all them fish.
    laughable...my family goes through 85 salmon by spring time...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Out of self control and respect for the resource....
    if you were so concerned about the resource, and 4 pots yields too many shrimp for you, shouldn't you use only 2 or 3 pots...out of "self control and respect" ya know...

looks like you wasted all of your self control and respect on the resource and didn't save any for your comments here on the forum.......oh dangit...I just did the same thing....oh well, I guess we all say stupid stuff every once in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Mike - What about the guy that has a pregnant wife and will only be able to get out once or twice this year? Running 8 pots as opposed to 5 could make a pretty nice difference in what he's able to put up in the freezer. Not everyone who is out shrimping does it with regularity, and not everyone has a spot that produces 20 gallons in short order.
    agreed Brian...more over Alasgun, not everyone is in the same situation as you....how many mouths do you feed at home...what is gluttonous to one man and his family may be a pittance to another...

shoot me a PM next time you get home with excess shrimp...since you give plenty away I'm happy to help ease your shrimp burden....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

So lets ask the fishcrats to put a limit on the number of pounds of tails a guy can catch for the year??? I wonder how long shrimp live?? If we're letting them spawn once and then just die ? well then lets clean them up but if they live awhile and spawn multiple times WHY do we have to wipe them out so fast. Five years down the line when were scratching our heads and wondering "where'd they all go" i'll know, we all ate them 5 years ago. 8 pots just don't make sense to me but i've been wrong before. Guess now we'll see what them weany haulers can pull ? I'm betting there is going to be a punkin' field of buoys out there this summer I'm going to file the blades on my props nice an'sharp so i can cruise through all the junk floating around in the water. Another rail car full of wire might be a good idea also

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Agreeable point Steve, seems like I remember reading them big unz are in the 7 year old range! It also bugs me that we fish so late into the season and catch a sht load of eggers after june or so.

As to the "can only go one time thing", if a fellow has listened well and is fishing decent gear, he shouldnt need a bazillion trips to get his shrimp. Besides, if you catch all you need early on, you have more time to figure out how to impregnate that wife!

Have fun guys, we can't all think alike.
    Mike

Default good post alasgun

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    laughable...my family goes through 85 salmon by spring time...lol...

if you were so concerned about the resource, and 4 pots yields too many shrimp for you, shouldn't you use only 2 or 3 pots...out of "self control and respect" ya know...

looks like you wasted all of your self control and respect on the resource and didn't save any for your comments here on the forum.......oh dangit...I just did the same thing....oh well, I guess we all say stupid stuff every once in a while...

agreed Brian...more over Alasgun, not everyone is in the same situation as you....how many mouths do you feed at home...what is gluttonous to one man and his family may be a pittance to another...

shoot me a PM next time you get home with excess shrimp...since you give plenty away I'm happy to help ease your shrimp burden....
    funny how everyone agrees w/ the moderator (yawn)....No family eats 85 fish in a winter, I don't care who you are. 8 pots is ridiculous (my opinion)

Default August 1st closure!

I'm not going to say yay or nay on the 8 pot limit. It's good for some that can't get out often like my Son who works at a remote radar site at least 2 out of three months, then comes home and has plenty to do around the house, and then dealing with 4 kids - soccer - basketball - football, and on and on. For myself, I can get plenty with 5 pots, but if I feed the Grandkids, then I need help and fish 8 and get it done.

I do however, totally agree with an earlier closure. Why get the spawners? I think June would be overkill though. August 1st closure would be a good compromise IMO.

Anyone think that this may be a direct result of people under-reporting the amount of shrimp they caught last season? I remember a bunch of chatter on this site, as well as at the docks, from guys saying "you need to report a crappy catch so F&G thinks there's no shrimp out there". Looks like their tactics may have came back to bite them it their rear. F&G already had done sampling and determined the shrimp population in PWS, so when they got all the under-reported shrimp cards in the mail, they determined that there was a surplus. Since their was a supposed surplus, what better way to deal with it than a commercial fishery and an increase in number of pots for the sportsman? I hope the shrimp population in PWS doesn't turn into something like the early 90's when they closed it down for a while. I want my boys to be able to enjoy the same great stuff I do now when they're my age.

Default Enough is enough (shrimp) already

Alasgun makes a salient point, there are many who over do it, waste the resource. Maybe they give away the game, let it burn in their freezer or in the spring end up tossing it or dropping it off at the zoo. "Personal use" gets lost in the act of bagging the limit, even exceeding the limit, becoming irresponsible/abusive with the resource.

Man handling eight pots is more than I want to struggle with...I enjoy everything about shrimping, I don't want to turn into a job. Certainly its much less expensive for the average guy to buy product he can select from the local "Kodiak pick-up along side the road vendor" than own a boat and catch his own.

An experience I had this year is symptomatic of the problem:
    I was invited to go Kenai dipping from a friend's skiff this year, there was four of us. The math is simple, one heck of alot of fish could be caught, the total number became the target. I only wanted a dozen, yet, in the excitement of netting those puppies we limited.

Arriving back, tired, late in the day there was a discussion and I realized that the conversation was tending toward "what in the world are we going to do with all these fish". We ended up cleaning them all, properly vac-packed them, all were or are still being consumed.

But, it made me think. Arriving back at the dock, I remember one of our crew saying that he eats only fresh, never consumes frozen reds. Another of our crew deciding that it was late, he was tired, over did it, wanted to go home, so he only wanted a few. Another guy saying he didn't have room for any more fish.

Classic case of what Alasgun, Fullbush and Steve are talking about. If you can use the resource or need it, ok. But, if your getting carried away or abusing the resource and, at the end of the day, plainly wasting product you need to wake up. The resouce will not survive the wanton abuse, excessive harvest. Its easier than you might think to be one of the culprits, part of the problem.

On the other hand, if a family can actually consume the catch of a large amount of fish or shrimp and need more they can have mine, too.

Thumbs up Hang On There Cowboys

Remember, this is an EO. Not a permanent change to the regs. If some one wants to invest $250-300 for 3 more pots (with the assumption this will be in effect next year too), more power to'em. The EO even says that a subsequent EO may shorten the season. I don't think the bugs are gonna disappear any time soon. It'll be OK. Of course, like everyone else, that is my opinion.
    how to act in public

Default Shrimp

Shrimp live 5-6 years. Prawns start out as males for 3-4 years and then when they realize how life is easier for women they change into females. So the larger shrimp, child bearing are the larger shrimp. When you expose them to daylight you are blinding them. They may live when released, but are blind. They eggs are great dipped in butter.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

If I get 3 more pots (total of 8), then I have the option of fishing the 5 pots like I usually do (in my normal, good spots) and fishing the other 3 pots in places where I want to prospect. And if I have 8 pots, maybe I'll only pull them once or twice a day on the weekend instead of 3 times a day. Then I could spend more time fishing than pulling pots and end up with the same amount of shrimp I would normally have. There are all kinds of ways to look at this and all different kinds of ways to use 8 pots.

Someone explain something to me. The argument is that the season should be shortened so that the egg-bearing shrimp can lay their eggs. But aren't those same eggers the shrimp that you're catching earlier on in the season before they develop the eggs? So either way, you're catching what are (or would be) egg-laying shrimp? The end result being that those shrimp aren't going to lay any eggs. So using that logic, it would make more sense to only be able to keep male shrimp throughout the season and let all females go. And who's going to do that?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    When you expose them to daylight you are blinding them. They may live when released, but are blind.
    So that's why those little buggers are frantically flippin all around, they're screaming "MY EYES, MY EYES!". Makes sense now.
    how to act in public

Default Actually

Actually F&G was thinking about going to bull shrimp only and letting the cow shrimp go on to reproduce. But since both have horns, determining sex is difficult for the unknowing.

I can't believe some people, because some idiots waste the resource, we should restrict methods and means? No matter if there are 2 pots, 5 or 8, some people will waste the resource, that's just the way it is. But, some people actually only are able to get out once or twice a season and if they are willing to invest in 8 pots, what's wrong with that?

And how does this tie into dipnetting limits? As a family of 5 I'm allowed 65 fish on the Kenai. A couple of years we've limited out, and we haven't wasted a single fish, everyone of them was eaten by April, a few were given to little old ladies that aren't able to get out an fish anymore and really appreciate it. At the time I didn't have a boat and am generally too busy working and paying the bills to get out and fish and hunt every weekend. This summer I went down to the Kenai with the kids, we got 46 reds in 2 hours. I know how much work it is to process the fish, and knew that would do us for the year. We still have a case of smoked/canned fish and a few fillets in the freezer, but that's it.

If I have the time to get out this summer I'll plan on running 8 pots on two strings. I know a good spot to let the pots soak while the family is enjoying hiking on shore. If we only get out for a 3 or 4 day trip, I doubt I'll catch enough shrimp to last us til the end of the year.

Default new pot limit

Lots of good responses here.
    I have to agree on fish wastage as I see it almost every year from one of my friends. He is one of those who gets lost in the excitement while dipping.
    This will be my first year shrimping.
    I was thinking If I go this year the extra $210 for pots might be worth it.
    I figure just 1 trip to Whittier from Soldotna will cost me at least $300 so if I could make one less trip that would be great. I know a lot of people who would love some fresh shrimp. I have a couple of seniors who love getting some fresh halibut,Salmon,and Crabs from me and I am sure they would like some fresh shrimp too.
    I already have the lines to run extra pots so no added expense there.
    That and I have a good job so it is not like it will break the bank for me.
    Being my first time it might be nice to have and extra 3 pots to hunt around with.
    I am sure a lot of people will stick to the 5 pots ( 4 for Alasgun) they already have.
    Since they have already placed the EO I guess we will have to wait and see how it goes. Of course they can always rescind it at any time.
    Everyone has their own personal limits and I am sure most people can easily find people to take their excess shrimp if they have any.
    The pot thieves might enjoy this also. They will have a lot more to chose from.
    I do think people need to pay attention to their setups this year. Some may need to add extra line to get the extra 25-30% extra they need to avoid losing gear. If you snap extra pots on your line it will have to be longer than before to compensate.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Better than usual!

Normally I post one of these heart rending post and, well, they come out of the wood work to snap my head off! Thanks to those chimming in respectfully.

If you use the resource, I say go for it and like previously mentioned, if you can't make it on your take, give me a call! BUT, all you have to do is open your eyes and look around or better yet scroll down (dipnet thread)and read all the post asking what to do with freezer burnt products or similar subjects.

Here's where I believe we get headed south on the subsistance thing. How many of you ever lived somewhere before coming to ALaska where you stuck a net in the water and fish swam in? Not many.
    Im of the opinion as was also already mentioned that "it's easy to become part of the problem" because you are not use to the amount of abundance we take for granted. And again this is simply an opinion. Like Cris I've got a great job and am not concerned about where my next meal comes from and like Cris, I spread the wealth too!

My comments about the eggers are subjective as well. If there not carring eggs then like every thing else, some must not have bred earlier and I have no concious about eating them. Knowing their longivity is greater than one season makes me thing a little prudence is in order. Personally I quit in July and only mentioned June as a time great qty's of eggers start showing up. I doubt that my meager observations will have any impact on the resource.

All this will fade away in a couple weeks when the season opens. Your choices are clear, you can either fish like you always have, grab a few more pots or stay home and impregnate that wife. Which ever course you choose, have fun!
    Mike

Default Egg laying

I don't know if there is a "prime" egg time for shrimp. I have caught them in the first set of the year with eggs. Although, latter in the season there are more. But they have eggs all summer long from my catches.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast