Thread: Only 7 more months!

Default Only 7 more months!

Until sheep season begins, that is. Oh man, I'm already getting anxious about Aug. 10th, and it's only January. Somehow in the dim light of our early evening while driving home, though, it didn't seem that far off. I had to break out some sheep backstrap for dinner while dreaming of crossing scree on windblown ridges. I can't wait - all I have to do now if figure out if I scored a drawing permit or if I'll have to hoof it 20+ miles into a walk-in area off the road. I'll sleep well tonight with visions of white critters in my dreams.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default sheep dreams.

I can relate, Brian. I think back on all those years of dreaming of that first ram. I thought it would never happen.

Bagging a legal ram is as good as it gets. This year's pictures here on the forum are proof that there are plenty of great rams and great hunters out there. Luck plays a part, but hard work and dedication are where its at.

Winter is for planning and dreaming.

Frank
    Last edited by fullkurl; 10-25-2008 at 00:13.

Default I would really like to try sheep hunting some day.

My location is sub-optimal. I get a lot of inspiration from you guys. By the way, what do Alaska sheep taste like? Probably like goat?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Default at the table....

Winmag,
    It's not an exaggeration when its said that sheep meat is in a class all by itself.
    It has a mild but unique flavor and texture that the other meats don't have (especially goat! >smile<)
    Its not gamey or tough.

Do you have an '07 hunt planned? Have you been up in the high country chasing sheep? Love to read a story or two, successful or not...

Regards, Frank

WinMag - Goat meat is alright - a little tough, and a little more "gamey" tasting that many of the other Alaskan animals. It seems like sheep and goat would be similar, as they inhabit similar terrain and have similar diets. Sheep, though, are truly the best eating animal I have ever tasted - period. There is no meat that compares, in my book. I love Bison and black-tailed deer, and a August spike moose is awfully fine eating, but nothing is quite like Dall Sheep. (It is nothing like domestic mutton, by the way.)

-Brian

Default time

Once the drawing resullts come out things generally start to fly by a little faster for me. I'm just looking forward to beginning the training. Doctors have me sitting around doing little to nothing due to a blown disc.

Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Sheep Meat

This pic represents the crescendo of fall. All the planning, dreaming, scheming and training lead to this one moment. A big fat piece of sheep meat, fat dripping in the flames. I don't know how to describe the flavor, but it makes your eyes roll backwards in their sockets in pure ecstasy.

Thumbs up mmmmmm!

Ah yes, now I remember.. melts in your mouth!!!

Thumbs up Oh man, here we go...

Dreaming about sheep hunting and remembering past hunts.
    Nothing compares to sheep over a fire. Nothing.

Smile wild sheep

Ah yes, wild sheep. Well, it tastes good enough that after you get used to eating it you will NEVER want to go back to a beef steak again. I'd throw a Club Paris filet in the trash if it meant I could get a piece of wild sheep!

I cooked a sheep roast over a charcoal fire Saturday. I marinated in pomegranite juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and thyme. I seared it on the grill whole, then cut it down into steaks and seared them for a minute or two. It was excellent; it's really just about the best eating meat there is. It has a very unique and distinct flavor, sweet and blueberry like.

Mountain goat meat isn't bad, and I find that it isn't nearly as bad as most people make it out to be. If you soak it in an acidic brine for several hours it really is pretty good. I was fortunate enough to kill both a goat and a sheep this fall, but I have not done a side by side taste off. I should try that. Sheep tend to like sweet marinades, and goats tend to like more sage-like marinades, in my opinion.

I am dreaming up a Brooks Range sheep hunt for this fall, but I don't even have a partner at this point. I have a lot of planning to do still!

Default I know what we need!

I am in the lower 48 and can't wait to go back to Alaska some day - after I draw in the upcoming Statewide system. I think this site needs a Sheep Hunting only dedicated area to post. You could cover, transporters, hunt units, clothes, tents, rifles, optics, anything and everything - but just for sheep hunting.

bizy, geez man are you nuts? a forum for sheep hunters to post secrets! that'll be the day.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Smile

I already talked to my boss about getting the first week of Sheep season off. Thats how excited I am. Now all I have to do is start to get in shape.

Default pictures from our honeymoon

My new wife and I took some time to go hiking and get some pictures of sheepies on our honeymoon in Girdwood. We cant wait untill spring time to start scouting for August.

hope you enjoy,

jp

Sounds like Alaskan sheep is a delicacy that I have to look forward to. I don't know when I will be able to hunt sheep, but it is definitely on my list of things to do.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Default Bm.....

B M, Shame on you for starting this thead! How could you do this to us mountain climbing freaks?!!!!!!!! Kinda funny, the night you made this thread I was driving home from work passing Eklunta and wondering what sheep season would bring this year. AAAAAHHHHHHHHH the all mighty sheep!!!!!!!
    Last edited by AKDSLDOG; 04-03-2007 at 22:41.