Thread: Craigs List?

Default Craigs List?

Anyone posted a for sale on CL lately?
    I posted a for sale recently, and man, i have had NOTHING but scammers contact me.
    Its pretty crazy
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Default I have a seperate

e mail account I use for gmail.
    That way it doesn't fill my normal email.
    Anything that says I couldn't see your ad, hey look here, try this site instead to sell your stuff or anything but I am interested in your (real name of item here) I delete.

Default YEP

IT's CRAP. For ever post it seems like I get 5-10 scam responses!
    But it's still a free advertising site so what can you do?
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I quit using it last year for the same reason. Too bad, it was nice while it lasted...

I recently posted some ads on Craigs, boats for sale and tranny wanted. had great response and less than 10-15 % scams???

Sold the boat, found several trannies to pick from, I also use a G-mail account and it is the best, somehow it seems to recognize the scammers and sort them into a seperate file, I open it just to check, and scammer every time..................
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default Craigslist

I post on CL fairly often. I always click on the tab that says to hide your address, and I only put in my phone number. No problems. If you dont mind calls, it is a great free way to sell stuff.

Default Alaskas List

I pretty much switched over to Alaska's List. They let you sell guns, and the owner will call you if you put an add on to help you out and make a better add. I haven't got any spam off Alaska's list, and there is a ton of stuff on there! http://alaskaslist.com/

The story I heard is that the guys started it because he was making doghouses with his school kids and selling them on Craig's list, and the PETA people kept getting his adds removed. He got sick of it, and solved the problem by making his own site.

What little I know, I gotta support a guy like that!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I'm a huge fan of CL as well, and for free, i'm certainly not complaining, but i've never had the amount of scams as i have had this last run.
    Oh well.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Default Nope

His ads were flagged off cause he was posting in the wrong area.
    He was selling as a business and those ads belong in the services. He was spamming the pets community (Uh as is rehoming pets ONLY)He was told to move them then got all p*ssy and started his own site, Which I might ad he spammed Craigslist with. He didn't want to follow CL's rules and terms of service. (at the time I was one of the helpers on the help forums and it was all explained to him)
    If you post an ad on Alaskaslist for Craigslist he removes them but was upset when CL removed his ads.

That said AL is a good place to advertise stuff

Default The rest of the story...

At least he allows you to sell guns on AL, so I support him.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default And that is his choice

Of course people all the time try to sell them on Cl but they are flagged off.
    That is the owners of CL's choice.

I am sure that if I didn't follow the rules set here at AOF that I would be banned pretty dang quick

Remember also that the servers for CL reside in California and they have to follow Calif. laws. (hence the no advertising of ferrets, they are outlawed in Calif. Even though they are not here they can't be rehomed on the site)

Same here....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    I post on CL fairly often. I always click on the tab that says to hide your address, and I only put in my phone number. No problems. If you dont mind calls, it is a great free way to sell stuff.

Yup, just put in your add you will only respond to telephone calls. Gets rid of a ton of email tire kickers with the standard line "what will you take for it".
    Sell 95% of what I list on craigslist. Best place in the world to sell for free.
    Tennessee

I went to craigslist and advertised last month, Day later got an email from someone telling me to go to alaskalist and advertise my product/... uhh ok did that, still no luck in selling them .lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I recently posted some ads on Craigs, boats for sale and tranny wanted. had great response and less than 10-15 % scams???

Sold the boat, found several trannies to pick from, I also use a G-mail account and it is the best, somehow it seems to recognize the scammers and sort them into a seperate file, I open it just to check, and scammer every time..................
    akgramps, I know what you meant but I laughed out loud when I thought about what kind of responses you might get through Craigslist posting "tranny wanted" :-)

I've used it a few times over the years, and yes it has gotten bad with spammers/scammers. I had an old subaru with a bad head gasket that I put on there for free and had so many nutcases wanting to know every little detail about the car...I had to say "dude, it's a free car...here's where it is...the first person to take it away gets it". I wished I'd asked like 50 or 100 bucks for it, just to weed out the weirdos.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    akgramps, I know what you meant but I laughed out loud when I thought about what kind of responses you might get through Craigslist posting "tranny wanted" :-)

I've used it a few times over the years, and yes it has gotten bad with spammers/scammers. I had an old subaru with a bad head gasket that I put on there for free and had so many nutcases wanting to know every little detail about the car...I had to say "dude, it's a free car...here's where it is...the first person to take it away gets it". I wished I'd asked like 50 or 100 bucks for it, just to weed out the weirdos.

Took me a minute.....LOL.......guess I didnt think about it that way??????
    Believe it or not, I didnt get any weirdos's and only a few spammers, I always put my phone number in, but they can respond to the ad thru e-mail also.
    Alaskalist is ok, but I rarely use it, only when I am totally desperate to look at ads.
    I never know when the ads are posted, the pictures are slow to load, I e-mailed them about dating the ads and never got a response.
    Cool idea, I just dont care for the way the site is laid out.
    If I am looking for guns, its hard to beat AOD for sale forum.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default Yea...

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    I went to craigslist and advertised last month, Day later got an email from someone telling me to go to alaskalist and advertise my product/... uhh ok did that, still no luck in selling them .lol
    When I get those from his site I usually think "here is a site that can't stand on it's own"

He doesn't have the web visits that CL does. But at least he is still around.

what I do is use a gmail account for CL adds, I hide the auto response address and state that they are to contact me at xxx at gmail dot com or just put a phone number.

That removes 99.9% of the scammers as they cannot get your address.

I've used Alaska list too, but have had better luck with CL on most items.

i had problem once CL couple of years ago with scammers, recently sold car in 3 days and no scammers.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's