Thread: Elliott Hwy Black Bears

Default Elliott Hwy Black Bears

What is the biggest Blackie anyone has taken off the Elliott Hwy area? I took a small one last year that was about 5', but I got excited. It was my first bear and I walked in on him. This year I plan to be patient and selective. I know that area is heavily hunted, but I wass just wonder the range in sizes.

I'm no expert on interior black bear hunting, but I've heard if you find a blackie at 6', you've found yourself a really nice bear. I guess they just don't get all that big up there as quickly as bears down here, but like said, that's mainly what I've heard.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Ammo View Post
    What is the biggest Blackie anyone has taken off the Elliott Hwy area? I took a small one last year that was about 5', but I got excited. It was my first bear and I walked in on him. This year I plan to be patient and selective. I know that area is heavily hunted, but I wass just wonder the range in sizes.
    Make your way to the seminar on the 10th at S.W at 1:00....we will show you some big bears :-)

every time we go to Manley Hot Springs we see a big blackie or 3, they are nice bears.

Release Lake Trout

Default bears

I know of a 7'3" and a 6'8" from that area.

You can find big bears anywhere around the Fairbanks area. You just have to be patient and NOT shoot the the little ones. If you shoot the little ones you either never see any big ones because you weren't patient enough to see one, or the little ones will never grow up and get big.

Biggest I ever took was a color phased chocolate my son killed that squared 6'10 with a head taht was just under 20". That is the biggest bear out of about 20 or so that either I shot or buddies shot. If you see a 6' bear shoot it, cus theres a heck of a lot more 5ftrs than 6 ftrs. There seems to be pockets that hold bigger bears for some reason and then in some areas its lots of dinks. The hardest part on the Elliot is finding some room to yourself with so many bait stations around you, nothing worse than sharing bears between bait stations. Makes timing em tough. The Elliot probably has more bear baiters per sq mile than any other place in the state. If you can find a place to pull off with your truck.......theres at least one bait station already there.

Default big blackies

Are buddy got a 7'2 with a bow. Most of our group got 6ftrs...

A buddy of mine shot a 6'5" bear last year. I know of several 6+ ft'rs from the Interior last year so they are here. Getting away from hunting pressure is the key- areas that are heavily baited tend to have lots of little ones running around.

Are there any reports on the snow in the area?

Default snow conditions

has anyone driven between minto and livengood recently? What are the snow conditions? The snow is pretty much gone here in Fairbanks.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

currently snowing

that area typically is a few weeks behind town, I think you will find that as May draws closer fewer people will be willing to discuss trails, access, or conditions openly, days off are made for exploring, take some snow shoes and water boots... you will need one or the other...and in another 2-3 weeks..

BUG DOPE
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Native Land

In 04/05 much of the land between the Elliott and the Tanana was conveyed to Doyon. Before you commit to the work of setting up a bait make sure you know the land status so you don't run into problems.

Aside from all that there are some big bears in the interior. I saw several in the Baker Creek area but that's now all private land.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I got a 7' 19 15/16" Pope and Young bear last year and a 6'4" 17 15/16 in a pretty heavely hunted area of the Elliott.