Thread: Just A Question

Default Just A Question

Can anyone here tell me where there is some good caribou hunting. Like what places are good and what places arent? Any information would be very apreciated.

Default Bou

Welcom to the fourms.
    You will find alot of info here on just about anything in Alaska.
    Your best bet is to get familiar with the search buttons and search old posts. Look at the old fourm boards as well..
    To help get you started check this link out..

http://www.hinkleyfamily.homestead.c...kaCaribou.html
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

If you can provide more information, you will probably get better results with answers to your question. What sort of hunting are you looking for? Any particular part of the state?

well for starters im new here in ak. it doesnt really matter where i go hunting i just want to get out there. preferably in the summer hehe. just any places where i could go would be cool

Quote Originally Posted by gods_huntin_budy2006 View Post
    Like what places are good and what places arent?
    Whatever you do, don't go to Mexico for caribou.

haha lol i meant i dont care where in alaska hehe

What the other forum members are alluding to is that Alaska is a HUGE state with many areas to hunt caribou. Each area has benefits and drawbacks such as # of animals, trophy quality, ease/cost of access, weather, etc. Such an ambiguous question is tough to answer. A great area for one guy to hunt might be a terrible area for another. Do you want to hike in, fly-in, float hunt, use an atv, etc? Are you looking primarily for meat, or is a large set of anters important? Do you want success at all costs, or are you happy just tromping around the woods? What kind of time can you commit - a few days, or a few weeks? There are way too many variables to give a good answer without info.

In all honesty, the best thing you can do is spend hours (or days) seaching through the forum archives - both here and the old forums (you'll see a link on the main forum page). Search for caribou hunting and you'll be overwhelmed at the amount of info. Search for info on the WACH herd (Kotzebue), the Mulchatna, the 40-mile, the Haul Road (Central Arctic Herd), Kenai Mountains, and Adak - after all of that reading you'll start to get a sense of what is out there and which herd might be best to focus on. Once you've made general decisions about access, $, and time frame you'll likely get more specific responses.

Good luck to you, and welcome - both to Alaska and the forums!

-Brian

well i guess i would like to stay somewhere around anchorage or in the near area. trophy quality would be the more important thing to me and as long as its accesible by atv ill be good. i can prolly commit about a week to the hunt but im not goin for any winter hunts yet cuz im still gettin used to the alaska winters hehe. thanks for the welcome into alaska/forums.

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    What the other forum members are alluding to is that Alaska is a HUGE state with many areas to hunt caribou. Each area has benefits and drawbacks such as # of animals, trophy quality, ease/cost of access, weather, etc. Such an ambiguous question is tough to answer. A great area for one guy to hunt might be a terrible area for another. Do you want to hike in, fly-in, float hunt, use an atv, etc? Are you looking primarily for meat, or is a large set of anters important? Do you want success at all costs, or are you happy just tromping around the woods? What kind of time can you commit - a few days, or a few weeks? There are way too many variables to give a good answer without info.

In all honesty, the best thing you can do is spend hours (or days) seaching through the forum archives - both here and the old forums (you'll see a link on the main forum page). Search for caribou hunting and you'll be overwhelmed at the amount of info. Search for info on the WACH herd (Kotzebue), the Mulchatna, the 40-mile, the Haul Road (Central Arctic Herd), Kenai Mountains, and Adak - after all of that reading you'll start to get a sense of what is out there and which herd might be best to focus on. Once you've made general decisions about access, $, and time frame you'll likely get more specific responses.

Good luck to you, and welcome - both to Alaska and the forums!

-Brian

From what you posted it seems to me that the 40-mile herd registration hunt near Chicken (which is near Tok) would be the best option for you. It is not near Anchorage, but is accessible off the road system. The nearest caribou to Anchorage are in the Kenai Mountains, but this is a drawing permit hunt and is only accessible on foot or via horseback. Success rates are low, but trophy potential is great. The next closest animals are in the Talkeetna Mountains - again, it is restricted to drawing permits and is usually only accessible by aircraft (though I know a guy who has seen these caribou on an atv.) Beyond that is the Nelchina herd, which is usually hunted out of Eureka or off of the Denali Highway. This hunt is currently restricted to subsistence hunting. That may change in the near future, but currently only long-time Alaska residents can get this permit. That leaves you with two realistic options for road accessible caribou: Hunting up on the Dalton Highway (otherwise known as the Haul Road) with a bow and arrow on foot (no atv access is allowed and no rifles can be used within 5 miles of the road), or hunting the 40-mile herd.

The 40-mile hunt begins Aug. 10th and is what is known as a Registration hunt. Any Alaskan can register for a permit at the Fish and Game offices. The hunt has a quota set before the season - lately it has been near 1,000 caribou. This quota has been met in the past few seasons within the first two weeks of the hunt. Access via atv is good, but as such you can expect plenty of company. If the caribou are in accessible areas the hunting can be good, but pressure and competition will be high as well. It's not a bad option to consider for your first caribou hunt, especially considering the price of a fly-out hunt, but it may not be the solitary wilderness experience that some picture when thinking of caribou hunting. Trophy quality varies, but some really nice animals have been taken out of that area.

Do some reading in the forums and the old forum archives. Look up 40-mile caribou, Chicken Ridge, and Taylor Highway as search terms. You should find enough info to decide if this is a hunt you want to pursue.

-Brian

Default Thanks Brian

that 40-mile thing sounds pretty interesting ill definitely have to look that up