Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 45-70 Power

Default 45-70 Power

I have never shot or have seen what a 45-70 does on game. From mild to wild loads, what is the 45-70 capable of taking and what are it's short comings when dealing with Alaska size game. You can assume loaded pressures that of a Ruger #1 as wild and 'off the shelf' on mild. Thanks for the insight.

Ron

The only reason one couldn't kill any AK game with a 45-70 is they didn't properly place the shot. Put a hardcast 400 gr in the boiler room and games over.

The shortcoming of the 45-70 is range, it's a 200 yd round due to the trajectory. So if you have to have a 300yd round, the 45-70 isn't for you.

No limits on the gun and bullet,only on the hunter useing it. Done a full lenght body pass through on fair size brownie with a 350 gr Hornady rn at 1880fps. The 45/70 is a stalking gun but with pratice you can hit gongs at 500 yards in matches

So you guys wouldn't have a problem with brown bears then? If not looking to start that debate just a question. Or should I say would you feel ok with the 45-70 if that was your only Alaska gun? Sorry, it is just I'm asking for another person thats all.

Thanks Again

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Or should I say would you feel ok with the 45-70 if that was your only Alaska gun?
    There are better all rounds out there but inside 200 it just fine for anything in Alaska. It falls a bit short on range for sheep, goat, and boo but doable, it’s got the power for anything it hits including browns. IMO
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'd personally take a 300 win mag, 338 win mag, 35 whelen or 375 H&H over the 45-70 any day for an all around AK rifle.

It'll kill anything that walks, brownies included, with the right load. It is my go-to rifle for moose and bear. Check-out Randy Garrett's website if you want to see some impressive pictures of big game animals taken by the 45-70, he sells some good ammo too.

www.garrettcartridges.com

-J

Where would one find Garrett ammo in Alaska? I thought Randy Garrett didn't supply it to stores in Alaska.

Yea, I personally have never seen any Garret ammo in a store up here. Mostly just Buffalo Bore and CorBon.

Two brown and seven blacks so far with one shot each and one goat,lots of deer.

Default Amigo say's it

Amigo Will that's an impressive tally and testament for the 45-70. Did you use the 350gr Hornady for all of them?
    My current load for my Ruger #1 is 53gr of IMR 4064 behind a 400gr Barnes Original for 1800fps.

Ed
    Afflicted by condition human

The 45/70 won't kill a naked mole rat at 20 yds.

Just kidding.

I really should stop drinking before I post.

I use a 400 grain Barnes bullet in mine at a a lil over 1800fps.....The wound channel is just awesome. Ive only shot black bears with it, but its my carry rifle when im fishing. One good shot and its over.

Default timing

good timing on this subject, i have a good friend that is an avid hunter, sheep is what his passion is and he kills a nice ram every year with his 45/70.
    yesterday he killed a big bison (very big, horn length 22 inches) at 25 yards, the bison was territorial and when he got to close charged, the first shot (factory leverloution) went just under one horn, he said it turned the bison in a 360, and he put one in the spine, dead bison.

Default Several things

First,
    There isn't an animal in Alaska that won't go down with the 45/70. As the others say, its the shooter. Now for the right bullet - 400grn speer 50 grains of IMR 3031. Will take all but the most dangerous situations. Check the other postings....

As for Garrett - no they don't ship here, checked every way but sideways. Ship them to someone in the L48 and have them bring them here or ship. What will they do, well, check the Garrett website as the others say. What have I done with the Garrett, the 540 hammerhead GEEZE, I would not even think twice about shooting a brown bear that was 10' from me at full speed. I shot through about a 28" tree truck (solid) plus another 8"-10" trunk plus another 10"s or so into the sand. Dug out the bullet and could most likely reload it if I had too. 100% weight retention. Just an awesome bullet.

Do a search on 45/70's and you'll see the others postings. For me, I am using my 45/70 and my 416 Ruger almost exclusively for my bear/moose hunting.
    Tony

Many an AK Brown bear and many interior grizzlies have died to Buffalo Bore 45-70 loads. Lots of Cape Buffalo and Bison have fallen to one shot kills with BB ammo in 45-70 as well and there are quite a few photos of such on the BB web site.

Thanks for the info. I personally use a 375 H&H, but my buddy is dead set on a 45-70 and a hunt this fall for brown bears. I just want to make sure he comes back in one piece.

Ron

The 45-70 works very well. I would not hesitate to take a No.1 in 45-70 anywhere for anything. The nice thing about the No.1 is that you can load spitzer bullets in it. I've used my Marlin and Sharps to kill caribou. Both did very well. The largest caribou I have harvested was with the Marlin at 150 yards. I've taken them at 300 yards with the Sharps. You just have to know the gun, the range and your ability. It is not for everyone, but will always bring home the bacon. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    Amigo Will that's an impressive tally and testament for the 45-70. Did you use the 350gr Hornady for all of them?
    My current load for my Ruger #1 is 53gr of IMR 4064 behind a 400gr Barnes Original for 1800fps.

Ed
    Yes they were and all pass through. I gave all my reloading stuff away a few years due to tremors in my hands. I now use the Hornady Lever Evolution for deer and carry the Buffalo Bore for big stuff. First kills with the Hornady last year one deer and black bear both one shot. have not had the chance to take anything bigger yet with the BB but I'm sure it will work. Your load sounds like a very good one. I do like to be close,fifty yards or under. The goat was probably over a hundred yards but he was stright up and fell on the river bank where I was standing.

I have only taken two head of game with mine. I use 405 grain Remingtons at 1750 fps. One critter was a mule deer doe at 60 yards broadside the other a bull moose at 35 yards broadside. Results the same - 2" exit wound and awesome wound channel. The doe ran 50-60 yards and the bull dropped on the spot, go figure. I wouldn't be afraid of anything in Alaska with mine.

Mart

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast