Thread: anyone up there use a 8mm mauser?

Default anyone up there use a 8mm mauser?

Just kinda curious, already found out the Swede mauser has quite a few admirers up there.

Wink

Somewhat partial to it myself.

Thumbs up Cal.

Not very popular......30-06 or 338 Win and 300 Win are kinda popular!

A few hunters I know carry 7x57 95 mauser
    Alaska

Don't have one anymore, but I like the round well enough that I've been considering making one up on a lefthanded action. It's a dandy, and greatly overlooked.

There is nothing wrong with the 8x57mm Mauser. For some reason when I was a kid, there were lots of M-98s in 7x57mm which had been cut-down. Many a hoemsteaders wife of kid had one. My first centerfire rifle was an old 1930s vintage M-98 made by DWM in 7x57 for some south american country. It was a short cavalry carbine.
    I still have it but now it has a Douglas Barrel and a Fajen thumbhole stock.
    There were also 95 Mausers in 7mm as well as some Rolling Block Remingtons. 7 Mauser ammo was seen at most stores.

As for 8mm Mausers, for some reason I did not see as many. There were a few, and I had one with a sporter stock and military barrel for a couple years. The 8mm ammo was not seen as much back then. \
    Many of the WWII NAZI M-98s were quickly turned into sporters in the 1950s and 1960s. The Nazi marks on the receiver usually were ground off. What is now a collector item was pretty common place and nobody was interested in having a Nazi marked gun back then....

NOW, due to the flood of Yugo M-48s (which are a slighly shorter M-98 action) You see big piles of 8mm Mauser ammo up in Anchorage and some other places.
    Two of my sons use 8x57s as their moose guns. I have dies out in the shop and load some fairly stiff loads for them. I am currently without one right now, but could be talked into a nice Waffen Marked sniper rifle at some time in the future. But I also want an Israeli M-98 in 308 as well. Like one of their honor guard rifles....
    So many distractions, only so many stories for the wife....

Default 8 mm Mauser round

I have a BRNO 98 Mauser slightly customized with a 24 inch bbl. With today's
    powder and bullet selection, it is every bit as lethal as the 30-06. Using Re-15
    and a 170 gr bullet with magnum primers, it will go 2800fps in a 24 inch bbl. with a sensible pressure curve. I love it and would hunt anything on N.A. continent with it. As for availability in good guns, they are getting scarcer. As a side note, I chronographed a few german military rounds made in the 1970's for some military organization and they were almost as hot--and they were not machine gun rounds.

Smile 8 mm SURE

The 8x57JS is a viable caliber both in N.A. and Europe, and ranks well with rifles like the 30-06. It's european ammo loalings are a lot hotter than American SAAMI factory specs. But a good handloader can achieve good performance and use premium bullets as well. A good used military 8 mm mauser ranks as one of my favorite put it behind the truck seat and leave it rifles (truck gun). Tough and dependable, lacking very little service or babying.

Default 8mm rifles

If anyone has one- just be sure of the model. The early models may have a .318 +/- bore while later models may have .323 +/- bores. That's the reason for the conservative US factory loadings. Also, wouldn't do to reload for a .318 gun, use .323 bullets and try to duplicate 30-06 ballistics!! The same would hold true for the 8mm-06 wildcat where an 8mmXwhatever is reamed to 8mm-06... just .02

Thumbs up YEA

TRUE, only modern 8x57 mmJS rifles that have had the headspace checked by a qualified gunsmith should be considered for such projects.

You can load an 8 x 57mm using Barnes 200 grain and 220 grain slugs to the same velocity as the supposedly all new and cool 338 Federal. Bullet weight for bullet weight.

Rechambing war bring-back Mausers to 8mm-06 was once a cheap way to almost obtain a poormans 338-06 performance without the cost.