Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sized my brass wrong

Default Sized my brass wrong

Hey All, I sized my brass incorrectly, I didn't have the die turned down far enough. I didn't catch this mistake until after I primed them. Can I resize with the primers in if I pull the de-capping pin? Thanks for the help.

Yes you can.
    Tennessee

I've done it.

Be Careful

Steve

get a gauge

Whats the gauge for WA?

This brings up an idea I have had for a product I wish someone would make. A set of washers could be made of varying thickness. The die could then be screwed down on the thinnest washer and set to full length resize. If one then wished to change to neck sizing only they could unscrew the die and replace the washer with the appropriate thicker one to neck size or partial full length size. The advantage would be the die could remain locked and the settings could be repeated very easily.

Of coarse I could just stop being so cheap and get a second die.

Default Caution

Yes, you can remove the decapping pin and resize the brass BUT you need to re-check the seating of the primers. Pushing the expander plug back into the sized case can cause a slight increase in air pressure inside the case and can cause a somewhat-loose primer to back out very slightly. Just be sure that the primer is seated flush with or slightly below the case rim. If it protrudes, use your primer seater to reseat it correctly.
    In God We Trust.

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    Hey All, I sized my brass incorrectly, I didn't have the die turned down far enough. I didn't catch this mistake until after I primed them. Can I resize with the primers in if I pull the de-capping pin? Thanks for the help.

You be fine running the through a fl die with the decapping pin pulled. You might as well take the expander out too. How far down the next did you resize? I like to resize about 3/4 of the way down the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    This brings up an idea I have had for a product I wish someone would make. A set of washers could be made of varying thickness. The die could then be screwed down on the thinnest washer and set to full length resize. If one then wished to change to neck sizing only they could unscrew the die and replace the washer with the appropriate thicker one to neck size or partial full length size. The advantage would be the die could remain locked and the settings could be repeated very easily.

Of coarse I could just stop being so cheap and get a second die.
    You could buy sheet shim stock and cut your own for way less than a second die. Buy a sheet of say .020" and a sheet of .023" would back it off .005" or .020 and .025 for .005 and both washers would be thick enough not to rip when you twist the nut down on it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    You could buy sheet shim stock and cut your own for way less than a second die. Buy a sheet of say .020" and a sheet of .023" would back it off .005" or .020 and .025 for .005 and both washers would be thick enough not to rip when you twist the nut down on it.
    Or just adjust the die. Only takes a minute.

Thanks all. I appreciate the help. Forestar, thanks for the primer check. Shoot straight all!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    You be fine running the through a fl die with the decapping pin pulled. You might as well take the expander out too. How far down the next did you resize? I like to resize about 3/4 of the way down the neck.
    I shouldn't think you'd wanna do that.

The neck needs to be expanded. That's part of the sizing process.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default I 'second' that

Spot on again, Smitty.

By all means, pull the decapping pin but LEAVE the expander plug attached. The die will squeeze the neck down below where it needs to be size-wise and the expander plug will open it back up to where it should be.

Also, be sure to lube the case and inside the neck and recheck the case length after sizing to make sure its its still within spec.
    In God We Trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Forestar View Post
    Spot on again, Smitty.

By all means, pull the decapping pin but LEAVE the expander plug attached. The die will squeeze the neck down below where it needs to be size-wise and the expander plug will open it back up to where it should be.

Also, be sure to lube the case and inside the neck and recheck the case length after sizing to make sure its its still within spec.
    Plus one on the expander ball. But.... I would NEVER lube the inside of the neck with a non-dry lube. It might, however slightly, contaminate the powder.

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Plus one on the expander ball. But.... I would NEVER lube the inside of the neck with a non-dry lube. It might, however slightly, contaminate the powder.

-Mark
    I do it ALL the time. (Lube the inside of the necks) I also clean it out , though.

I have a plastic cleaning rod end/loop, on a handle, that I use, putting in a patch that is large enough to fit right, or one that cut to size.

I just push it in and out of the neck a few times, and change the patch every few cases, depending on how long it takes to get dirty.

I've used Q Tips too, but it takes a lot of'em to do a small amount of cases.

I've just never had any luck with the dry lubes. I don't like the sound of tortured brass.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I do it ALL the time. (Lube the inside of the necks) I also clean it out , though.

I have a plastic cleaning rod end/loop, on a handle, that I use, putting in a patch that is large enough to fit right, or one that cut to size.

I just push it in and out of the neck a few times, and change the patch every few cases, depending on how long it takes to get dirty.

I've used Q Tips too, but it takes a lot of'em to do a small amount of cases.

I've just never had any luck with the dry lubes. I don't like the sound of tortured brass.

Smitty of the North
    Hmmm... I thought you likeed One Shot? That's what I use and it works fine and dandy. Spray the case angling slightly down form 3 or 4 directions and good to go.

Eventually, all my dies will become the bushing type and my brass will no longer be tortured.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Hmmm... I thought you likeed One Shot? That's what I use and it works fine and dandy. Spray the case angling slightly down form 3 or 4 directions and good to go.

Eventually, all my dies will become the bushing type and my brass will no longer be tortured.
    Wal, the One Shot needs to be wiped off too.
    I use more than one case lube.

Imperial Sizing Wax,
    Hornady,
    Lee, which I'm not wild about, and
    "Burts Bees"

The other night I heard about how you need to keep lube out of your rifle chamber. Lube/greese, on the neck can keep it from expanding and releasing the bullet. Pressure builds up and KAB'BLOOEY. Gun parts flyin every which way.

There are Pressure Signs, and Pressure Signs.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default powdered graphite

I lube the inside of the case neck with a small dab of powdered graphite -- and have for 25+ years without a hitch. I dip a nylon brush (of the appropriate size, attached to a short section of cleaning rod) into a can of powdered graphite; knock off the excess; and then insert into the case mouth. Works like a charm.
    In God We Trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Forestar View Post
    I lube the inside of the case neck with a small dab of powdered graphite -- and have for 25+ years without a hitch. I dip a nylon brush (of the appropriate size, attached to a short section of cleaning rod) into a can of powdered graphite; knock off the excess; and then insert into the case mouth. Works like a charm.
    Every time I say something like "Ive just never had any luck with the dry lubes". Someone pops up to say it works fine for THEM.

Anyway, this gave me the incentive try it again, (Using Mica), to neck size some 7mmm RM cases. I used the brush as you mentioned.

It worked jus fine for me THIS TIME. Maybe, I wasn't getting enough of the stuff on, before.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default Shims

someone mentioned using shims under the sizing die to change the amount of sizing...well sinclair International sells those in a set. here is a link, they are just under 10 bucks
    here's a pic too..
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/6170/s
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SHIMS.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast