Thread: Grabner Ranger

Default Grabner Ranger

I am looking at inflatables that can take a small outboard jet to get into very shallow water so that I can get up rivers, and possibly skip the float plane cost. Does anyone out there have any experience with the Grabner Ranger, or the Alaska Series Jet Ranger?

I will be using the raft to get 2 men and gear upstream, then have another raft to get our two moose out.

Any ideas?

Default Jet Ranger

I have a Jet Ranger and it will do what you described. Check out this old thread.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=31141

Steve

Thanks Steve. I am told that the jet ranger can get into 2" of water easily, loaded. Can I get myself and a moose out?

Todd

Mine has carried real close to 800lbs on step. I would want more than 2 inches of water under me though. The Jet Ranger is a great little niche boat. Run up stream with a regular raft, blow it up and float out a couple moose.

Steve

Default Can the Alaska Series Jet Ranger serve as my only riverboat for moose hunting

I have 30 years experience on Alaska saltwater, but now I want to go up rivers to hunt. I am confused about what type of boat to get. I am considering either a 17-20' aluminum or 2 Jet Rangers for 3-4 people. I have heard some good and some bad about the Jet Ranger. Do you think one could take 2 adults and gear up a river for hunting, or is it just to take along with your big boat so you can sneak up into the really shallow water? I would appreciate any opinions you may have. Thanks.

I have had 3 adults and day hunting gear on step in mine. The Jet Ranger would be best for 2 guys and a light camp. To get a moose out you would have to most likely make a couple hauls. I use mine mainly as an access boat. Get there in something that will haul all your gear including the Jet Ranger then blow it up and go where others can't.

I load mine in my Wooldridge Allaskan II and take it all in PWS. I then use the Ranger to run up shallow tidal streams.

This moose season we will be taking it up the Yukon in my buddies XS and will be moose hunting up the shallow tributaries.

Steve

This is my buddy and his father waiting for me to take them out.

Default Grabners...

Available through AK Raft & Kayak:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=45112

Steve's setup is appealing though.
    Good luck.

Default 2 inches of water

I have the Jet ranger, and used it last year on tributary streams on the Yukon.
    I built an aluminum rack for it so I could keep it inflated and it served as an added cover over the back of the boat.
    I was able to walk around under it without stooping.
    to get it off you just get under it, and push it off the back. when the boat hits the water, just flip it over and put your motor on it and throw in the gas tank, your day pack with all your gear,, and hit it..
    As far as 2 inches of water goes??
    yes,, it will do 2 inches with 2 guys in it.. but.. and here is the big Butt...
    I went up a stream last fall for many miles. I even jumped a couple of beaver dams going wide open..
    I had Dudley sitting in the front.. the older fellow that is pictured sitting inside the Hewes craft under the ranger... he about freaked out...
    I jumped that first beaver dam like nothing.. he had ahold of the ropes on the sides and that kept him from flying back into my lap.. after the first beaver dam jump.. he was just fine with it.. (also you can run the boat up on the bank sideways and then back into the water,, if the stream is real twisty,, its nice to know you can just hit the bank with absolutely no damage.. ,,, Dudley says that I need to get a head cam so I can video this thing going up the little ditches..)
    So back to the story......
    as I got up stream,, less and less water.. until...
    I had about 2 inches of mud.. then I stopped...
    in order to get a jet engine pump to push you from a dead stop, you need much more than 2 inches of H2o,,you need at least 6 inches...
    so,, because I had gone so far up this little tributary.. in about 2 to 4 inches of water.. I now needed to walk out about 1. 5 miles until I found a beaver pond with enough water to get me going.. and then it was just fine...

anyone that wants to take a spin in mine down here on the kenai, just let me know.

When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com