Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dalton Corridor open to snowmachines?

Default Dalton Corridor open to snowmachines?

To those bowhunters that use the Dalton Highway Corridor to hunt caribou, you might want to call or email your representative and tell them to NOT allow snowmachines in the Corridor. There's a bill being heard in the Resources committee tomorrow, March 31st, at 1 pm that would open it up. I'm not a bowhunter, but I do hunt by foot outside of the Corridor up on the Slope. I'd hate to see machines buzzing all over there - like they do on those hunts on the Steese or Taylor. Doesn't seem like that would work to well when you're bowhunting.

Here's a list of the representatives on that committee:

Representative_Mark_Neuman@legis.state.ak.us
    Representative_Craig_Johnson@legis.state.ak.us
    Representative_Kurt_Olson@legis.state.ak.us
    Representative_David_Guttenberg@legis.state.ak.us
    Representative_Scott_Kawasaki@legis.state.ak.us
    Representative_Bryce_Edgmon@legis.state.ak.us
    Representative_Chris_Tuck@legis.state.ak.us
    Representative_Paul_Seaton@legis.state.ak.us
    Representative_Peggy_Wilson@legis.state.ak.us

As a bowhunter I actually have no issue with snowmachines when the BLM declares there is adequate snow levels. I would, however, be very opposed to ATV or other ORV access in summer in most areas off the Dalton.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Its BLM land. It should be open to 4wheelers and snowmachines!

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    Its BLM land. It should be open to 4wheelers and snowmachines!
    I am not to sure about how I feel about snowmachines up there. I think that it would be a huge mistake to allow 4 wheelers. 4 wheelers would tear the hell out of the tundra. The last thing we need is for the tourist buses going up there to be showing people all the scars that hunters would be putting on the land. Even if no tourists would see it, I hate seeing endless scars on the tundra in areas where people do not "tread lightly".
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default hunting

how interpretted it it sounded like you couldnt ust them to hunt inside the corridor or to go through to hunt on the outside of it either...tell me if i'm wrong
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

If it passed under HB267 your wrong. Frankly I'm so afraid it has passed I haven't even checked. And I love my sno-go almost as much as my bows!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

It didn't pass yet. There is still 16 days left in the session for our legislators to do so, however.

There is a Fish & Game regulation called the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area. It prohibits transporting hunters, meat, or hunting gear across the 5 mile Corridor with a motorized vehicle.

But as you guys probably know, the BOG could easily eliminate the DHCMA regulations once snowmachines are allowed. Then, if you ask me, its just another combat hunting zone - like the Steese and Taylor hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by docinabox View Post
    There is a Fish & Game regulation called the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area. It prohibits transporting hunters, meat, or hunting gear across the 5 mile Corridor with a motorized vehicle.

But as you guys probably know, the BOG could easily eliminate the DHCMA regulations once snowmachines are allowed.
    This is correct. This is to change Transportation law to allow the use of snowmobiles in the Corridor. Then the BOG would have to change hunting regs to allow hunters to use snowmobiles to cross the Corridor. It is unlikely that hunting within the Corridor would change at all.

Then, if you ask me, its just another combat hunting zone - like the Steese and Taylor hunts.
    I disagree. The 5 mile corridor no-firearm hunting would remain. This just allows people to cross it in order to hunt with firearms. A five mile buffer on either side of the 400-some mile road remains. That is a lot of land.

What is concerning, and I would think especially to bowhunters, is that their was a Legislative Request submitted to the BOG in Oct 2009 by Al Barrette seeking support from the BOG for HB 267, goal #1. In this document, his goal #2 is to abolish the 5 mile rifle restriction. You can get this document yourself from the BOG.

And I'm sure y'all know Mr. Barrette has been appointed to the BOG, confirmation is pending.

Seems to me: snowmachine access first, and eliminate 5-mile rifle restriction second.

Hope I'm wrong on this...

Mr Barrette was also allowed to go testify to the legistlature on behalf of the BOG in support of HB267. HB267 is the tip of the iceberg, wait and see what happens when this thing passes....but as always sitting here typing in a forum is like complaining to your wife about work, unless you want something done you have to contact those in the position to make it happen

I am a bowhunter and I appreciate what the corridor has to offer. I don't think it should be limited to bowhunters only though.

Latest with amendments:

http://housemajority.org/spon.php?id=26hb267-430

some interesting amendments in there

Are there really that many bow hunters up there when there is sufficient snow cover to allow sleds? I doubt it honestly. The hunt hasn't met harvest quota in years there are plenty of animals there to support this and it should pass. Man I am looking forward to getting into bow hunting but the exclusionism in the group drives me nuts! Biology first, take steps to limit the harvest to sustainable levels and increase opportunity. If the animals are there then the opportunity should be as well. I would also be interested in hearing pro's and cons on shrinking it to a 3 mile corridor.

If you're going to shrink it to a 3 mile corrider AND allow sleds, why not just get rid of it all together and turn it into a circle slaughter?

for a bowhunter, it's truely one of the best kept things we've got pretty much nation wide....being a bowhunter, I stand to keep this just the way it is! I've got nothing against rifle hunters and there is ways to get outside of the 5 mile corridor relatively easily.

I think the current moose situtation should really bring to light what can happen. Given our current management standings state wise...be careful. Not to mention past and current 40 mile 'activities', I hate to consider it hunting in any form!

THats not taking into consideration the FEW subsistence folks from wiseman who can rifle hunt in the corrider to a point just south of slope mountain off the road system. (the point where land goes from federal to state).

Infringe on this area, and you're going to start seeing some serious restrictions, much like the moose draws that were spawned by Jack Reakoff of the subsistence board for the area! It wasnt so long ago this area was wide open to everyone, and VERY few people took it upon themselves to hunt the area. Now, it's a draw....imagine the central arctic, with the guides/transporters on the east, and the sleds later in the year, turning into a registration hunt, opening for a few days, then she's closed like the 40 mile herd only because people dont want to walk, laziness!!!

There is 25 OTHER herds in this state, not ONE on the roadsystem has the length of season dates (GUN OR BOW) like the central arctic herd. Is it so hard to NOT ruin the last road accessable GOOD caribou hunt? Or do we need to completely destory this state from the north to south so we dont feel like we are 'excluding' someone because they cannot get off their butts and walk! Wake UP!

PS, this has been forwarded to both Kelly and Neuman!

I might add...it might be time this state also wakes up and abolishes the bog all together! It's time we put ballot box crap like this to end!!!! Give the responsibility back to the people who the state has entrusted to do so....not a board of special interest groups, bog/bof!!!

So doing a couple 6 mile round trips to haul a bou out is lazy? You are right, gotta keep those lazy rifle hunters out of there, better keep it at a 10 mile round trip or two to get a bou out legally...
    The distance should be based on safety and safety alone. I have no doubt that 3 miles would present plenty of "safe" zone for bow hunters to stalk from the road and would prevent a 40 mile style fiasco by keeping rifle hunters from just pulling up and blasting away.

You are talking about doing away with the BOG and eliminating balot box bio, which is interesting to me since w/ no BOG all you would have is the ballot box. If you are saying you want sheer biology from fish and game, then how about this, the current harvest is way below the quota set forth in the ADF&G harvest plan. That is sheer biology yet you seem to thumb your nose at it?? Is it because it isn't what you want to hear?
    I have not made the chicken ridge winter hunt, but for all of my friends that have they said it was quite enjoyable and they were never super crowded like the fall wheeler rumble. I hunted the rex trail cow registration winter hunt and it was peaceful as well. A few other sleds and a couple groups on the weekend I was there but no overwhelming masses.
    Both the Rex cow moose and 40 mile winter hunts are at least 100x easier to access in the winter than the haul road. I have no doubt that opening that area up to snow-go for a few months every year would not cause it to exceed harvest goals. Most people simply don't have the gear to do a couple days up there in the dead of winter!

For any one group to think that their interests in land use should take priority over another group is simply ridiculous. The Haul road is not a private playground for a select group of individuals. Heaven forbid a small minority loose exclusive rights to 4,000 square miles of recreational and subsistence opportunities. I've bow hunted and rifle hunted off the Haul road and the only time I've seen other hunters was while bow hunting. The argument that limiting access is good, because it increases one groups opportunities while denying the same opportunities to other groups has no credibility in my book.

I sent emails supporting the opening it had nothing to do with hunting.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    So doing a couple 6 mile round trips to haul a bou out is lazy?
    I think Tradbow was saying the guys who want to open the corridor instead of walking are lazy. I kinda agree with most of his points about protecting this area from over hunting. F@G does not use the corridor to protect a certain group, it is to protect the herd. Yes the herd is above management goals now. The limit in 26b was increased to try to increase the harvest. If legislation is past changing access to the area it is legislation we will be living with even after the herd cycles down again, and it will.
    After saying all this I have no problem with the proposed bill with the current amendments. It limits snowmachines to south of Coldfoot. There are not as many good areas to go outside the corridor for good hunting that far down so I think the impact on the herd would be minimal, and it would give a few more people some additional hunting.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Quote Originally Posted by D.W.T View Post
    For any one group to think that their interests in land use should take priority over another group is simply ridiculous. The Haul road is not a private playground for a select group of individuals. Heaven forbid a small minority loose exclusive rights to 4,000 square miles of recreational and subsistence opportunities.
    I'm afraid that this is common in this state. Count the number of controlled use areas in each GMU. These were all created under pressure from minority groups seeking to keep others out.

Which group is this being kept exclusive for? Isn't everyone free to hike/ski the 6 miles out or bowhunt within the corridor?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast