Thread: Ninilchik or Seward for trolling?

Default Ninilchik or Seward for trolling?

Howdy!, I was talking to an individual at the local Fishermans Warehouse and they informed me that trolling for salmon out of Seward was more productive than out of Ninilchik. I'll be up in early June and staying till the end of July. I'm fishing out of my 14' aluminum with down riggers and don't want to go out beyond five miles or so.

Do you agree? Seward better than Ninilchk/Deep Creek for salmon trolling?

I don't know about it being better, but in Deep Creek you troll right along the shore. Might be a little safer for a 14' boat. And you don't have to go to far off shore for Halibut. Just run out to 70' to 90' feet of water.

70 to 90' for salmon or halibut?

Also, is there a boat ramp near deep creek. I've heard about the tractor thing and I don't think it will work for me. The boat is transported on the top of my truck, I don't have a trailer, just little wheels mounted to the transom. I fear the tractor might tear the wheels off!

Default First Off

If they worked at S.W. I wouldn't trust their opoins! Ok well that goes for the average employee , I have found a few that know something. If your in anchorage you will be better of getting information from the guys down at B&J's outfitters. If your not here Just call them and if they aren't busy they will provide you with good information.

For a 14' boat deepcreek will be a better choice! That being said it also all depends on weather! For halibut go out to 100' of water and start fishing.
    When trolling just look for the other boats! About 1/2 -1 mile off the beach depending on the tide~

Seward would be better for silvers but thats not until mid july - end of Aug. and the last couple years have sucked inside the bay.
    Good luck this summer.
    Oh and if the herring run is nice and strong you can get halibut while trolling for salmon!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

It's not uncommon for car toppers to launch right off the beach just south of the skidder launch. A 14 footer might be a handful depending on wave action for 1 person, but the water is shallow for a long way out and it will save you about $50!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
    70 to 90' for salmon or halibut?
    Back when I fished out of Deep Creek with my river boat I didn't like getting to far off shore. I've caught plenty of Halibut in 70' of water in June. With my big boat now, somedays we will stop in shallow and fish. The largest Halibut I've caught (185 lbs.) was in 60' at Deep Creek. The Salmon trolling I do is from right on shore to a half mile out. I don't think the tractor will launch your boat.They might? There is a ramp down there a friend of mine uses for his small boat. I'm not sure if the ramp is on the Ninilchic River or Deep Creek. I'll try and ask my buddy how he launches his boat, he has a 15 or 16 footer he uses.

Default Homer

I have seen people trolling around the entrance of the homer lagoon and I have seen them catch fish there too I have herd of a king fishery in halibut cove but I cant confirm that mabye someone here can but that is a short run from the spit and there are halibut to be had across the bay around yukon Island and around the entrance to sadie cove only 5 to 6 miles from the spit as well. There is a great boat launch at Homer and its only 10 dollers for the launch compared to 50 at deep creek and a boat that small dosnt take much surf at deep creek to make it harder to launch/retrieve your boat.
    The launch in deep creek itself was destroyed during the flood but I think that a small boat will still have no problem getting in or out from there during high tide but only at high tide. Troling in the ninilchik area during that time you will have to put your time in but it is fun when you get into a school of fish and have multiple hook ups at one time as for me it slows down considerably around the end of may out there but halibut is good at all times.
    The biggest halibut ever landed on rod and reel was cought in 40ft of water off of deep creek at 466lbs

Default For KINGFISH

Look in the buy and sell forum. I have an electric boat loader that would work great for fishing Deep Creek and other places. email me at triumph@alaska.net

Thumbs up Halibut cove Lagoon

There are kings across from Homer in the Halibut cove lagoon.
    The way it works they rear up a bunch of fry at the hatchery . 50% go to the Nick Dudiak lagoon in homer 25% to the Seldovia lagoon and the other 25% to the Halibut cove lagoon. Not sure on the actual #'s released.
    Use caution entering/exiting the Halibut Cove Lagoon as it is a narrow channel accessible only at higher tide stages.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

During the time period you're going to be here the silvers out of Seward are going to be out by Pony Cove for the most part, though into July they'll be hitting spots closer in.

During June and into July there are lots of kings to be had off the beaches from Anchor Point up to the Deep Creek area. And halibut, too, as everyone else has said. And within easy reach of the beach.

The biggest problem with using a 14' boat in that area is launching off the beach. You are limited by the wave size coming in. I've always used the tractor launch at Anchor Point and have had days when launching was a breeze, but within a few hours the waves had built up to 4' and trying to get back in was dangerous for even my 26' boat. With a 14' boat you would just want to be super aware of the weather and if it even started to pick up just head for home.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    There are kings across from Homer in the Halibut cove lagoon.
    The way it works they rear up a bunch of fry at the hatchery . 50% go to the Nick Dudiak lagoon in homer 25% to the Seldovia lagoon and the other 25% to the Halibut cove lagoon. Not sure on the actual #'s released.
    Use caution entering/exiting the Halibut Cove Lagoon as it is a narrow channel accessible only at higher tide stages.
    No kidding about the entrance to Halibut Cove Lagoon.

The sad thing is I'd made it in/out quite a few times before dinging the prop. I cut my line heading back to the lagoon and there went my new prop.