Thread: Winter Iliamna Caribou hunt

Default Winter Iliamna Caribou hunt

Anyone know where the mulchatna herd is this winter? Is there an air taxi in southcentral alaska doing this hunt currently. Thanks for any info.

Talking

What type of hunt - do you mean the same day meat hunt? Smokey Bay Air out of Homer offers this for $800 with a min. of 2 people. They have a Cessna 206.
    I have gone on this shoot'em, quarter'em, fly'em out hunt with Tim from Natron Air before. Unfortunately, Tim doesn't do this anymore since he got his new plane.
    F&G says you can take up to 3 'bou and only from Jan 15 - Mar 15.
    I have been thinking about going on this again as my freezer has a substantial amount of room in it.
    PM me if you are interested.

i have also been thinking about doing it. just not sure when. same here we used tim and natron air. was thinking about calling him and seeing if he is doing this year. sold his permit last year or so to the folks in homer and his ski's. was fun. we had to hike a mile for ours. no snow that year. not sure how they are doing this year for snow over. we shot ours march 16th and they all had antlers on still. seen a lot nice bulls but too far up the ridge. so we took cows. a lotta fun.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post

we shot ours march 16th and they all had antlers on still. seen a lot nice bulls but too far up the ridge. so we took cows. a lotta fun.

Antlers on Mature Bulls in March?

yes indeed. the pilot hiked in with us from natron air. they had a good food source as there was no snow that year. wierd i know they should start to regrow in april. we had land on a frozen lake and hike to the bou. there was more than what we thought. those things blend in good in the winter and plain tundra with a little white. seen tens of thousands, trip was worth it just to see that. even our cows had decent racks for cows. wish he still did that hunt. he used to guarantee bou. he took us out twice for the same price because of some weather issues. we made it over there but started to spit freezing rain and i was throwing huge rocks out the window and they were disapearing. so he didn't trust it. ends up on the next trip weather was better but rocks still came up missing. turns out they were blowing up on impact. ice was so dense a ten pound rock couldn't touch it. anyways we got our bou and headed out. if there is snow he would land you between the herd and a hunter jumps out each side and shoots their bou. hackem up and fly out. felt more like a hunt by hiking in for them. if we would have known they still had antlers we could have circle around the hill and shot nice trophy bulls. but our luck we just ended up at the lower end of the hill and they were cows and the higher up the bigger they got. we were shooting about 200 yards i think. very fun hunt, or shotting fest whatever you want to call it.

i've done the hunt three times with Tim and Natron, and we saw one bull in three years, about a two year old with little antlers, i'm pretty sure you didn't see him, cause he dead. wish you had some pics of those bulls with antlers on in march, i'm sure fish and game would like to see that.
    Might not wanna mention that Tim went with you on the hunt...transporters cannot accompany hunters into the field.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

oh yeah they can't he was hunting for him self that day. i don't think tim could believe they had antlers on. pretty cool sight i must. he was also a great pilot. wish he still done it. forgot to call him today.

ya i liked tim alot.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212