Thread: Leg Room

Default Leg Room

Ive set aside some money to purchase my first plane, I have a 70K budget, would like a tail dragger for off airport work, gravel bars and such for hunting & fishing. Can anyone recommend a plane that has leg room, Im 6ft-4 with long legs. My Flt Instructor has a PA-12 and I dont fit in the front seat, have to do my flying from the back. Suggestions?

An early Cessna 180. Fly it loaded like a two seater and have great performance. I've seen some nice ones on Barnstormers and other sites for around $50k. Some things to look out for with the early O-470's and have a good pre buy check for corrosion. Good cruise speeds too.

Default second that

If you can afford the 180 there isn't much to think about after that. 56' or later is a good place to start looking. There is a web sight listing the diferences in all the year models. When you jump to the three side window models (not sure what year that happened) the price jumps. Also if you ever want to float it you can't afford to mod one that doesn't have the factory seaplane mod.(25,000+)m2c

Arctic Terns have a lot of room.. If your in Anc I have one... I dont have the 3 position front seat, but I need something behind me to reach full rudder travel.

Default Thanks

Next time Im down Ill take you up on that

I would give a Maule a look, Look in trade a plane. Lots of airplanes. I saw a couple of very nice 180's in that price range.

I"m 6'6". I've owned an Aeronca Sedan for the last 20 years. The Sedan has plenty of room for us big guys. Nor a Cub or a C-180, but I bought it because it was the only plane I fit in that I could afford at the time. I like my "poor man's 180"....Louis
    Louis Knapp

A guy I know is rebuilding a Cub. He has a friend that is 6'6" tall, who wants to learn to fly Cubs. So.......Bill designed the instrument panel to allow for his friend's legs. A good idea and it looks good too.

It's hard to beat a Cub for landing in the weeds.