Thread: Upper Koyukuk Hunt

Default Upper Koyukuk Hunt

I am a non-resident planning a 2011 hunt with my father (who is a resident) in the upper Koyukuk region off of the Haul Road. I have spent months scouring this forum for all of the information I could find, and finally decided it is time to post a direct question. I am still trying to decide if it is worth trying to hunt both moose and caribou in one trip. I have a total of 11 hunting days, and am contemplating spending 6-7 days focused on moose in and around the S. Fork Koyukuk, John River, Koyukuk, or Alatna River, and then the remaining time around Atigun Pass focused on caribou. Yes, I am aware of the 5-mile corridor around the pipeline, and know that I can't hunt moose with a harvest ticket in the corridor. Do any of you have suggestions regarding this plan - should I choose one of the species to focus on? We will have an air boat, jet boat, and will be flying the area in August to gain better insight about the lay of the land. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default last year

i was up in that area last year and we only saw two moose, granted they were both huge, i dont think the area we saw them is open at all during the general season. And be careful with the corridor, the way the book reads is that you have to be five miles from the highway, if i am wrong someone please let me know. so some sections of the highway the pipeline gets up to like 2 miles away from the road. if i were you i would go after the caribou, more opportunity, easier packing, just my opinion

My best help would be to contact Joe Schuster who runs his aircraft out of Galena.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bugle.elk View Post
    I am a non-resident planning a 2011 hunt with my father (who is a resident) in the upper Koyukuk region off of the Haul Road. I have spent months scouring this forum for all of the information I could find, and finally decided it is time to post a direct question. I am still trying to decide if it is worth trying to hunt both moose and caribou in one trip. I have a total of 11 hunting days, and am contemplating spending 6-7 days focused on moose in and around the S. Fork Koyukuk, John River, Koyukuk, or Alatna River, and then the remaining time around Atigun Pass focused on caribou. Yes, I am aware of the 5-mile corridor around the pipeline, and know that I can't hunt moose with a harvest ticket in the corridor. Do any of you have suggestions regarding this plan - should I choose one of the species to focus on? We will have an air boat, jet boat, and will be flying the area in August to gain better insight about the lay of the land. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Are you flying or hunting in August? I would stick to one species and hit it hard. IF you score early, then try for a different critter. But, it's your call.. You won't find much except sheep around Atigun Pass, as you put it. Get to at least PS3 and head towards PS2 for a shot at 'bou. There's WAY TOO MUCH info regarding haul road caribou on this forum so I won't even go there. The corridor is based from the road, not the pipe. With the twists and turns in the road, the corridor changes in places that you might regard as safe. Take a GPS and use it. These rivers you plan on running are shallow and typically narrow little creeks. Wherever you run, an airboat will "probably" suit you best. The later it is, depending on summer heat or rain, these creeks could be ripping pretty good to all but dried up. Ya just don't never know.. Good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    My best help would be to contact Joe Schuster who runs his aircraft out of Galena.
    Then what, fly back up to the haul road?

I am leaning towards spending most of my early effort focusing on moose (the first 6-7 days). The purpose of the August flight is just to scout possible moose hunting locations, so we can better focus our efforts where there are moose (hopefully). Is it likely to find a legal bull in the previous areas I have described? Based on all of the info that has been posted on caribou hunting, I am banking on being able to take a jet boat or air boat outside of the 5-mile corridor and find a bull. I am hoping that 3-4 days is enough to secure at least a couple caribou. I will also have a bow, which is my preferred hunting method in most instances, for 'bou within the corridor.