Thread: Cast Performance Bullets and BB Ammunition

Default Cast Performance Bullets and BB Ammunition

Folks,

As I've followed a few threads, I've noticed several folks believe and perpetuate the myth that BB uses Cast Performance bullets in their loads that feature hard cast bullets.

There was a time when BB did use some Cast Performance bullets and they are pretty good bullets, generally speaking. However, over the years we've improved the crimp grooves (to keep "crimp jump" from happening) on the Cast Performance designs and we have the improved versions made for us locally. It has been quite some time since we have used Cast Performance bullets.

Over 12 years ago, I could see that cast bullets suffered from angled crimp grooves that actually facilitate "crimp jump". I had been shooting full house 454 Casull loads since about 1984 and noticed that the old style crimp grooves were obsolete when used with very heavy recoiling ammunition. I started shooting full house 500 Linebaugh loads in 1985 and it became even more apparant that traditional crimp grooves needed some changes and the same applies to loads like 357 magnum that are shot in tiny J frame guns made of light weight alloy, etc.

I designed wide and deep crimp grooves with a square bottom edge instead of the traditional "lead in" angle. As a result BB Ammunition will no longer "jump crimp". As ammo evolves (just like cars or trucks) it becomes more and more neccessary to get creative. Back in the day when the heaviest revolver cartridge was a 240gr. 44 mag., none of this mattered, but with the advent of the 454 Casull loaded with 325gr. and heavier bullets, (never mind light weight revolvers) crimp groove design became a real weakness in over all ammo dependability. To my understanding, only BB is now using such crimp groove designs with hard cast bullets, but I'm sure that with time, other ammo makers will see what BB has done and it will get copied.

Thanks for the clarification there Tim. That must explain why your companies 454 360gr ammo did so good in this crimp jump test when fired from a Ruger 454 Alaskan. Are you aware of this test that was done in 2007? Any input?

http://www.scopedin.com/articles/equ...e-crimp-creep/

"This ammunition did well in the crimp-jump tests, with the test cartridges enduring 15, 18 and 13 firings before finally failing. More impressive, however, were the highly-consistent velocity figures that the chronograph revealed. Velocities were very close to 1200 fps with a SD of 14-15 fps. This, coupled with the very similar (almost predictable) behavior of the test cartridges, suggests to me that this cartridge will perform quite reliably in the field."

Snyd,

Yes I was aware of that test and it was performed with Cast Performance bullets that did NOT have the new crimp grooves. The new design we now use, would not jump crimp even after dozens of firings. The reason the CP bullets (in that test) did so well, is because we undersize the brass so there is a lot of tension on the bullet shank, then we crimp the daylights out of the case mouth so that even with an old style crimp groove, the crimp holds the bullet in place pretty well, but it still is not as good as I would like, so we redeisgned all of our bullets to incorporate the new crimp groove.

Ahhh, thanks Tim. More interesting info. Good to know. I thought the test showed the BB loads held up pretty darn good.

Ya gonna market the components? I am, like most hand loaders, always looking for better bullets and these sound like the ticket for 454 and 460.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Ya gonna market the components? I am, like most hand loaders, always looking for better bullets and these sound like the ticket for 454 and 460.
    Not right now, but we will. Too much work and not enough time.....................

I'd like to get my hands on a mould or mould specs for that 360gr