Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic Log Splitter

Default Hydraulic Log Splitter

Having gone north of 50 years old, I no longer get the satisfaction I once did out of swinging a splitting maule and have decided to buy a hydraulic log splitter for the cabin. Trouble is, I know nothing about them so I'm hoping there's someone out there in forum land who does. Specifically, it looks like they're available in 22-37 ton capacity and I'm wondering how big is big enough. The wood I need to split is frequently large knotty spruce with and twisted grain and can be a lot of work. With about $1000 difference in price I'd sure like to know what someone has experience with.

I have a 27 ton and have split the most knotted red oak up to 3 feet across. I dont recommend wrestling pieces that big but just wanted to mention that for the capability of a 27 ton machine. Also make sure it will tilt vertical so you dont have to lift every piece 3 feet to get it on the splitter.

22 ton is more than enough for any Alaskan woods. We have been renting out an Iron and Oak 22 ton fast cycle spitter for two years now and I can't say enough good things about it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    22 ton is more than enough for any Alaskan woods. We have been renting out an Iron and Oak 22 ton fast cycle spitter for two years now and I can't say enough good things about it.
    22 ton is more than enough. Get a good splitter with the Honda motor it'll sip fuel and won't be nearly as loud and you'll get years of dependable use. Got mine at AIH.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post

what is your going rate for a use of one for a day

22 ton is overkill for Alaska.
    I have an MTD 22 ton, 5hp Brigs motor, 2 stage pump. Be sure you get a 2 stage pump, first stage if high flow for speed and second is high pressure for slow power so it makes the little motor work like a big one. I have split green oak and even Arizona masque, ironwood, and cottonwood with the little thing. I acutely bent the 2" thick foot plate doing huge green cottonwood rounds in Arizona . . . Alaska woods all split easy. I have even hacked across grain of green birch to shorten the occasional long stick.

Got my first splitter in 1978 and have had 3 over the years the best is the cheap little MTD I have now because it will go veridical. I got it from Wal-Mart in Arizona about 1996 and done nothing to it but gas and oil. I didnít know what I was missing till I tried the vertical setup. I pull it as close to the pile as I can, pick out a big stump to sit on, and use a rake to drag the rounds over. I pull from one side and pitch to the other usually into a truck bed all while sitting on my butt. When I canít reach it with the rake I move the splitter over and go on. I can split about 3 cords in 2 to 2-1/2 hours when I get my rhythm down and the wife is faster than I am. When I was a young buck I could split faster with an ax but not for all day like I can with the splitter.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Thanks

Great info guys, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

The Speeco unit that Fishingisplay posted is the one that I got from AIH and it works great for everything from knotty twisted spruce to the wet dense birch...

After 20 years of splitting mauls, I will never go back (no pun intended!)

One thing to watch for on the Speeco is the hydaulic control valve (the casting with the control handle). Mine has a casting porosity or a pinhole crack or something that causes it to leak hydraulic fluid and i didnt find where it was coming from until after the warrantee expired..DOH!!!

Just curious, what do you think of the elec. splitter's?

Never messed with an electric splitter but a 3 horse electric motor should do about as well as a 5 horse gas and a 5 horse electric should do better that a 5 horse gas. The bad things would be that you are tied to an outlet, would need a heck of an extinction cord even to get 50 feet away, and working in the wet would be a big no.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Just curious, what do you think of the elec. splitter's?

I do most of my splitting by hand, but picked up a little electric splitter from Home Depot a couple years ago for $300. We've probably split about two to three cords with it so far and it has done some very large cottonwood rounds and some pretty good size birch rounds with no problem. I don't know how long it will last but seems fine so far. It is fairly small so it doesn't take up much room, and my wife can pull it around the yard if she wants to. It usually gets used when I go get full length trees. I use the saw to cut them to length and she splits 'em up, and then my five year old stacks 'em.

This is what I've got:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Thank's JMG,

Not really able to swing the maul anymore, and the 1000 dollar splitter's are kinda out of my price range.

You ever try spruce with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Thank's JMG,

Not really able to swing the maul anymore, and the 1000 dollar splitter's are kinda out of my price range.

You ever try spruce with it?
    I don't remember doing any spruce. We've always left what little spruce we get in the round. Burns longer that way and most of it isn't too big around to begin with.

I figured even if this electric splitter lasts me five years, I'll buy another one. Most of the hydraulics seem to start at $1200 minimum, so I could buy four electric ones.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I bought one of the Ryobi electric splitters from Home Depot last fall and have had great luck with it. I split 5 cords of wood with it this winter and never had a problem. I was splitting mainly beetle kill spruce with a mix of cottonwood and birch. Some of the spruce was over 18" diameter and it would split with out a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I can split about 3 cords in 2 to 2-1/2 hours when I get my rhythm down and the wife is
    Does the 'wink' mean you are BS'ing about 3 cords in 2 - 2.5 hours? [smile] I know you can't be serious unless someone's helping you.

I cut, hauled, split and sold 50 cords this past winter. I'm pretty good with my 27-ton splitter, but not splitting a cord in less than an hour on average as you state.

One more question, I guess I could,ve looked it up, but what size gen-set would it take to make a elec. splitter work.

I have a pancake emglo air compressior, and a 5000 watt gen. would'nt run it so I bought the 6500 honda and it did fine. Had to sell that gen last year, but wanted to get a 2000 honda for the cabin, just don't know if thats enough power.

Just wondering.

Rock, my 2000 watt honda will start a 1/2 hp motor (table saw) with a bit of a struggle (not good for gen or motor long term)...but will trip out the gen if you hit hard wood when ripping with it...

I dont think it will run the electric splitters, or more likely it will run them until you hit a knot in a chunk of birch, then it will trip out the overload in the gen...and be a pita...

Thank's DK. I might have to go get another 6500, just really can't afford it. Was trying to save fuel, but , you can't be stuck in the wood's unprepared. lol

Quote Originally Posted by R Walter View Post
    Does the 'wink' mean you are BS'ing about 3 cords in 2 - 2.5 hours? [smile] I know you can't be serious unless someone's helping you.

I cut, hauled, split and sold 50 cords this past winter. I'm pretty good with my 27-ton splitter, but not splitting a cord in less than an hour on average as you state.
    Yes I can split 3 cords in about 2-1/2 hours (no bs) the way I do it from one pile to another pulling it to me with a rake with one hand as the other runs the splitter. If a guy can’t average at least 1 an hour the way I set up with my vertical it’s some real crap wood or he’s wasting time picking his nose or something. It is a little slower with your twisted juniper and knotty pinion than the birch and spruce up here but I'd be glad to show you some tricks to speed you up if you would like.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Skipper, I love that 2000w honda, we can run our whole house except the well pump on it. The 3000w version that we have will run the well pump and has the eco throttle too. It's as quiet as the 2000w but we've had oil burning/leaking problems with the 3000....This is the 7th year on the 2000 and we run it on average year round 4-6 hours per day...man that thing sips fuel!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast