Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 66.15%
  • Wannabe

22 33.85%

Thread: Handgun Hunters?

Default Handgun Hunters?

How many handgun hunters do we have around here? Should we have a handgun forum? I'm just getting into it so I'm interested. I guess I'll post as a Wannabe since I haven't actually gone out hunting with only my handgun.

Default Since 1972

I have since 1972. But prefer a bow as it is more of a challenge for me.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I don't think there are enough of us too warrant our own forum. Also most hand gunners also hunt with other impliments so they are not strictly hand gunners. I use other firearms and archery equipment.

thanks Allen, good point

I too bowhunt, & probably split my time 50/50.
    I think we might be able to do a seperate forum justice myself.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thumbs up

Yes a handgun forum would be nice . What would it hurt to have one ??

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

I use my Single Six for coyotes. Good to 100+ yards with 22 Mag. 22 LR... another story.

I haven't up here, but I used to love handgun hunting for whitetails when I lived in Illinois.

Default You bet!

I dont know how many times I have gotten crosseyed looks when I say I hunt with an Encore or a redhawk. I would love to see a forum , might be a small niche but a great way to connect with fellow handgunners!

Default handgun hunting

I've been handgun hunting since the mid 80s. I really enjoy it and have killed a bunch of stuff with lots of different handguns. Have been lucky enough to take several animals with black powder handguns also. My hunting partner (also a handgun hunter) and I made our first Alaska moose trip last fall. Encountered several smallish bulls, but none we considered shooters. Didn't feel handicapped at all by using handguns on that trip. With the possible exceptions of a few dangerous game species where backup would be prudent, I would be willing to try just about any game animal with a handgun. I would participate on a handgun hunting forum.

I switched over to a TC Encore for my rifle four years ago. This year is my first using it as a pistol. I have a .338 Win Mag for the big stuff and a .243 Winchester for the smaller critters. Both are 16 1/2" heavy taper barrels set up to use the rifle forend with the pistol grip.

I have an Encore with 15" bbl .375 JDJ I need to pick up a smaller caliber barrel for smaller game. The .375 works good on Br. bear though.

Thumbs up Handgun hunting

Yes, I have taken Elk. Antelope, several Muledeer and Whitetail deer. This does not include and the small game over the last 30 years and still going, cast boolits and all. It had been a real kick, won't give it up!!!!!

Handgun hunting really appeals to me. I have been fortunate enough to take 8 bull moose, a muskox, and a grizzly with a revolver. Many small game animals such as parka squirrels, beavers, and ptarmigan have also succumbed to bullets out of a vast assortmant of handguns. I don't know if a separate forum is needed but I enjoy hearing about other's experiences in the quest of Alaskan game with handguns.
    Last edited by dimrod; 01-16-2007 at 21:41. Reason: Can't count.

Dimrod, this thread has slowed down enough that this won't be a hijack.
    What revolver(s) have you used on moose & grizzly?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default My revolver preferences

On the moose, I have shot 4 with the 41 mag cartridge, all using a 220 gr. Speer softpoint bullet. Two bulls were killed with a scoped 7 1/2" Ruger Redhawk and two with an open sighted 6" model 97 Freedom Arms revolver.

Two more moose succumbed a 44 mag open sighted S&W "Classic Hunter" 6" revolver stoked with Speer 240 gr. Soft point bullets.

Two bulls were also taken with an open sighted model 83 Freedom Arms 6 1/2" revolver in 454 Casull. Lead, gas-checked bullets weighing 260 grains were used. My grizzly was also shot with this particular firearm and loading.

Personally, all of these revolvers and loadings seem to work equally well for me. I tend to favor the smaller, lighter framed and milder recoiling FA model 97 in 41 mag.