Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help on deciding what gun to buy for SE AK.

Default Need help on deciding what gun to buy for SE AK.

Hey Guys,
    Im fairly new to Alaska(moved to Juneau about 1 1/12 years ago) and i am l planning on going Brown bear hunting on Admirlty Island this year.
    I was wondering if you guys could help me decide which gun to buy,
    45/70
    .300 win mag

Also im looking into getting a new side arm a .44 magnum, do you guys think it will sufficient for brown bear?
    Thanks guys!!!

Ruger 375,338,350. Either of them would do just fine to drop dead. I shoot a 350 mag. I like it a lot. Let us know what you choose. The .44 is a great side arm.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Ruger 375,338,350. Either of them would do just fine to drop dead. I shoot a 350 mag. I like it a lot. Let us know what you choose. The .44 is a great side arm.
    what are your thoughts on the 45/70, around here i hear of a lot of people using it, but on the internet it doesn't seem to be popular. And its a lot cheaper compared to the rest.

Get a stainless/synthetic .338

Default Look at the Sticky

There is a sticky on the top of this forum with what everyone thinks is the best all around cartridge.

The question comes down to what you want. To me picking a rifle is kind of like picking a girl to dance with. You may dance with one a lot or just a few times, but there is always another girl to dance with. I personally would choose one of the more popular all around cartridges because I believe you will find more opportunity with that one rifle than with a rifle that is specialized for bears only.

Just my nickel,
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Default Guide

Jake Jefferson (AKA BRNBR) almost never chimes in on these posts but, if you notice, he carries a 416. Nuff said.

Any of the 3 choices you listed would do well though I am not a fan of the .300WM, despite its' popularity.

I love my .338WM and have a great deal of confidence in its' ability and versatility.

The .45-70 is real thumper in close-medium range situations making it less than ideal for caribou, sheep, goat, etc. or any potential long range" situations that may come into your future Alaskan hunting career.

If I had to choose 1 caliber for Alaska it would surely be the .338WM.

Good luck and have fun making a choice.

Any of them will work. I have used the 45-70 for moose and caribou, you should always be able to sneek within 150 yards. I've use the 338 on moose, caribou, sheep and deer. I shot the sheep at 25 yards, it hit like the "hammer of Thor". I have not used the 300 but the 06 will do anything you really need. I've used it alot too. Choose what you like and don't look back. Jim

If you're looking just to brown bear hunt; then I would get a 375H&H. If you think you may hunt other big game in AK; then get a 338.

Default 300wm

You are going to find a sifferent opinion by every poster here.
    My choice is the 300 Win Mag...can hunt anything in North America with it. Had Wild West Guns put a muzzle brake on it and the recoil isnt bad at all NOW. I shot a friends 338 and didnt care for it but sure it would be a nice gun also. I have a 45-70 but use it more for a protection gun than my main hunting gun. Not enough range on it.
    As for the 44 mag... would never shoot a Grizzly with it unless I had a hard cast bullet like the Barnes 240 grain. Other types of bullets wont even crack the skull. So if you have that type of bullet ..go for it or get the Smith and Wesson 500.

You will be happy with any of those choices though I BET

My vote would be either the .338 or .375 like others have stated before. There is no doubt that lighter cals. will do fine under normal situations and shot placement but God forbid,something turns a little hairy, I feel more confident with a heavier round. Just my 2 cents worth, now I'm broke...

If you are going to spend the money, get a gun that you'll want to pack around for Sitka Blacktail, blackbear, and Mtn Goats that inhabit SE AK. You only get 1 Brown Bear every 4 years in SE, so it doesn't make much sense to get a big bore the will be a safe queen most of the time.

I'd recommend a Kimber Montana in 300wsm.

Just for fun a 7mm Allen Mag.....Can't beat that short of a 408 or a .50...

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    If you are going to spend the money, get a gun that you'll want to pack around for Sitka Blacktail, blackbear, and Mtn Goats that inhabit SE AK. You only get 1 Brown Bear every 4 years in SE, so it doesn't make much sense to get a big bore the will be a safe queen most of the time.

I'd recommend a Kimber Montana in 300wsm.
    Best advice so far, IMO. Also, I second the guy who mentioned getting something stainless. I shoot a .338 synthetic, and I WISH it was stainless.

Thanks for the help guys... i wasn't really thinking about the factthat i can only get one durring my tour in Alaska. although i will also be hunting black bear as well, but i really do not need the 45/70 for it.. i do have a 30-06 but its not stainless or synthetic so i want to save it (since it rains everyday in juneau). but the MAIN reason i was looking at the 45/70 is for cost. i cant find a .300 or .338 for under 750 in Juneau. but agian thanks for the info, ill post pics of the gun i am going to buy.
    Anthor note, I found a used Taurus tracker .44 mag and its a great deal so i was wondering can i handle heavy rounds? i found some (not sure exactly) Alaska Backpacker .300 grains, can it handle them???

Thanks guys for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Garcia View Post
    what are your thoughts on the 45/70, around here i hear of a lot of people using it, but on the internet it doesn't seem to be popular. And its a lot cheaper compared to the rest.
    I personaly would go with a tricked out Marlin Guide Gun in either 45-70 or 450 Marlin.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Abu,

Look on gunbroker, 24hourcampfire, or this site for a nice used stainless gun. Lots of good deals right now as it's a buyers market for used guns right now. It's easy to get a gun shipped to your FFL. Usually a $15 FFL fee. Don't limit yourself to what is available in Juneau. I never buy my guns local. Much better deals on the 'net.

Remember, a gun is only expensive if you don't take care of it and have to sell it at a loss. A good gun, taken care of, will serve you well and when you leave you can quickly sell it for what you have into it. If you buy junk at a cheaper price, you'll take a loss when you sell it. Those are the costly guns.

I've been hunting SE for ten years now,Haines and Wrangell and I carry a 45/70 98% of the time with no scope(peep sight). Is it the best gun for everyone no but for me it has never let me down. If you are just going to be here another year or two I would use the 30-06 you have and just keep it oiled

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I've been hunting SE for ten years now,Haines and Wrangell and I carry a 45/70 98% of the time with no scope(peep sight). Is it the best gun for everyone no but for me it has never let me down. If you are just going to be here another year or two I would use the 30-06 you have and just keep it oiled
    Thanks for the suggestion. I do feal comfortable with the 30-06 with some 220 grains. but i do like to collect guns so that why i dont mind buying one, i have been wanting a good .300 for a while now but they are so expensive espically with a good scope.

Default .44 Mag opinion

If I were you I would look toward a Ruger Redhawk. I had a Blackhawk and decided to trade it of and now I am searching for a Redhawk. I have read many a arcticles and post about the redhawk and it can shoot darn near anything you care to load for it. One if not the strongest framed 44's out there. My .02 cents

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast