Thread: Manual Load #'s WAY different?

Default Manual Load #'s WAY different?

So, What's up with this, went to play around with loading for small bullets and the numbers are Way different between manuals,

Speer Manual #14 for 100gr HP, 270WSM

IMR 4350 Start Charge - 66.0 Max Charge 70.0

Hornady Manual #7 for 100gr SP

IMR 4350 Start Charge - 58.3,60.1, 61.8, 63.6, 65.3, and Max Charge 67.0

Man, that seems wierd that Speer's start is one grain short of Hornady's Max charge using same powder for same weight bullet ?

Just noticing, using the Speer bullet but checking other manuals Speer's numbers are way higher, makes a guy a bit nervous?

Lyman's 49th #'s for a 110 gr bullet are similar to Hornady

IMR 4350 start chg - 62.5 and max -66.0

Any advice on this?, I loaded twenty using the Speer numbers as I was using their bullet but haven't fired them yet......
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    So, What's up with this, went to play around with loading for small bullets and the numbers are Way different between manuals,

Speer Manual #14 for 100gr HP, 270WSM

IMR 4350 Start Charge - 66.0 Max Charge 70.0

Hornady Manual #7 for 100gr SP

IMR 4350 Start Charge - 58.3,60.1, 61.8, 63.6, 65.3, and Max Charge 67.0

Man, that seems wierd that Speer's start is one grain short of Hornady's Max charge using same powder for same weight bullet ?

Just noticing, using the Speer bullet but checking other manuals Speer's numbers are way higher, makes a guy a bit nervous?

Lyman's 49th #'s for a 110 gr bullet are similar to Hornady

IMR 4350 start chg - 62.5 and max -66.0

Any advice on this?, I loaded twenty using the Speer numbers as I was using their bullet but haven't fired them yet......
    Handloading can be Vewwy Skewwy.

Different bullets, brass, powder, barrels, primers, rifle chambers, seating depth, all make a difference. The data is derived from different test and pressure equipment.

I suggest, you start with the data that most closely matches your components.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Different components shot through different guns produce different results. Even with bullets that have the same construction style and weight, one can have a longer bearing surface, which will raise pressure.

The best advice is to stick with published data for the componets you are using. Better advice is to use a chronograph so you can compare the velocity you are getting vs. the published data, and use 30 fps/in to correlate between difference in barrel length between your gun and the gun used to work up loads. I've found that generally my guns are within 50 fps of publised data after I correlate for barrel length.