Thread: Trout Fishing in SE AK (Juneau)

Default Trout Fishing in SE AK (Juneau)

Hey guys, was wondering if there are any people from Juneau or South East that can help me out with this...
    I have been researching this and have came across several different answers. When does the Stealhead trout start to run and when is the prime? i have heard that they start as early as now and i have also heard they don't start till late april. Also does anyone have any recommendation on locations in the Juenau area?
    Thanks everyone.

Alaska Fly Fishing Goods

Phone : (907)-586-1550

175 S. Franklin Street, Suite 207

Juneau, AK 99801
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Alaska Fly Fishing Goods

Phone : (907)-586-1550

175 S. Franklin Street, Suite 207

Juneau, AK 99801
    yea i checked out their website, it is one of the places i got my information, but other websites and locals tell me a little different. Thanks though.

go there, spend some money, talk them up, they are good folks, and Brad runs a great shop.

And steelhead are there when they are there, they will start showing anytime between now and june
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

POW for the past month...but POW is not JNU

good luck.

Steelhead are usually in here by the last week(s) of april and spawn well into June. Peak is usually around the 1st or 2nd week of May but it depends on the year. With no snow on the ground this year, I'd bank on it being on the early-side, but what do I know. Although there's not much really going on the road sys, Cowee and Petersen crks are the popular spots. Petersen is short, small, and crowded. Cowee is way out the road and tougher to fish, but a much nicer experience IMO. Each have small runs of 200 or less.

You can look up the old F&G weir reports for Petersen creek on their website. That will give you the best idea for timing. I believe they have counts of fish going both up and down stream.
    Nice Marmot.