Thread: Bow Certification in Fairbanks

Default Bow Certification in Fairbanks

Just wondering if anyone has some insight about the Field day shoot in Fairbanks. I have heard a lot, just want to hear from someone that has recently gone through the field day the exact details.

4 targets 2 arrows per target, 1 blood trail, must score 5 of 8 kills, distances 5 to 30 yards.

standing, one kneeling, targets, 1 elk 2 deer, and a bear target out of a treestand.

They allow the use of a range finder now also.

Thanks for the inputs. It helps me out a lot. New to archery, been shooting since September. This will help me better prepare for next week.

Default Relax, enjoy, have fun

First, from a guy that was a novices novice when I shot the practical. I had a bow and had practiced diligently. I listened to others and did what I could to be ready for the shoot.
    During the class I pretty much sat back and listened to all of the "experts". They talked the talk, and just "oozed" bowhunting. I got worried that I could not keep up.
    We went to the range where the instructors had set up a warm up target and we watched archer after archer miss or shoot badly on a target that was across flat level ground. And as we set there we listened to them estimate the range at up to 50 yards and as short as 10 yards. One guy lost 3 arrows. People shot both above and below the bear.
    My guess had been 20 yards. I watched guys walk out to the target and counted their steps and those were right at 20. When they all walked away I stood at the line and shot the bear for 20 yards and put every shot exactly where I wanted it. I shot 100% during the test that day and did it without a range finder.
    Second, as an Instructor, I want every shooter to take their time and make good choices. I enforce both safety and respect for each other. I want every archer to shoot well, and if they don't, then they know it is all about them and not me, my fellow instructors, or the test.
    Keep in mind that this shoot is not a do or die. You get more chances if for some reason you dont' shoot the minimum.
    Focus on your form and make each shot count. You'll do fine. And when you are done, think about paying back the volunteers and people that came before you and maybe become a volunteer yourself. Everybody can be an asset to the program.

Thank you for the advice. It helps out a lot when people give you honest feedback.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    4 targets 2 arrows per target, 1 blood trail, must score 5 of 8 kills, distances 5 to 30 yards.

standing, one kneeling, targets, 1 elk 2 deer, and a bear target out of a treestand.
    they added a goat as well...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

so 5 targets now?

Basically it's (or WAS) 1 elk sized target, 1 bear, and 2 deer sized targets (they werent nessicarly deer), I know we used whitetails and muledeer from time to time.... It's been awhile though so they may have added a 5th target who knows.

It's SUPPOSED to be the same state wide...I know when I was teaching in fairbanks the valley/anchorage area had guys shooting with bh's. Things SHOULD HAVE been fixed so there is 'no difference' acrossed the state...that MAY not be the case. I havent taught in a few years....I dont believe in online mentor ship.....You cant teach what needs to be taught in 4 hours! The joys of "progress"!!!

Since I took the online test, do I have to take a test the day of the shoot? Do I need to have the book from ADF&G? It didn't mention anything about it when I completed the online test, but I do recall reading something about possibly having to take a test on the day of the field day.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    so 5 targets now?

Basically it's (or WAS) 1 elk sized target, 1 bear, and 2 deer sized targets (they werent nessicarly deer), I know we used whitetails and muledeer from time to time.... It's been awhile though so they may have added a 5th target who knows.

It's SUPPOSED to be the same state wide...I know when I was teaching in fairbanks the valley/anchorage area had guys shooting with bh's. Things SHOULD HAVE been fixed so there is 'no difference' acrossed the state...that MAY not be the case. I havent taught in a few years....I dont believe in online mentor ship.....You cant teach what needs to be taught in 4 hours! The joys of "progress"!!!
    think is was five... 10 shots 2 at each can only miss two and they can not be on the same target at least thats what it has been.. each time i have been.. ( four times now 1 for me, 1 with wife, and couple buddies)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Willy,

I dont know I havent tought since they went to the new circulum.

Vince....right on, wonder when it changed......honestly it's kind of pointless...but hey someone thought it was a great idear lol....I think the shooting portion could be cut to 3 and achieve the same results....less time, less instructors, les wear and tear on targets, and not 'detract' from the 'experience'...for a lack of a better way of putting it.

Field day went great. Thanks to all the advice everyone gave.