Thread: Any use for a small boat in juneau

Default Any use for a small boat in juneau

My father in Law is coming up he is wondering if there is any point in bringing his 16' aluminum Quintrex up. He currently uses it in Cape cod. for fishing 1-6 miles off shore. More Specifically we were wondering if there were any streams or rivers near by accessible only by boat from Juneau that would be good for fly fishing.

Thanks for the help.

you really do not need a boat to do any fly fishing up here, however there are a number of places you could use it... such as echo cove, but unless you are trolling you really do not need a boat to fly fish in juneau area IMO.

Default When

When is he coming up? Depending on what's running a boat could be a lot of fun. The spit at Echo is nice, trolling kings in May and June would be great too. Depending on weather fly fishing Slokum would be do-able in a 16 ft.

like bring it up for vacation? Probably not worth bringing, it'd be cheaper to rent boats. Bring it up because you now live here? Yeah do it, I wish I had a skiff.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

As in with a little luck moving here and staying. he was wondering if he should bring it up with the 5th wheel or leave it in Florida...He built a rack on it so with the flick of a switch it's winched up into the back of the truck. f350 crew long bed. with the whole thing hooked up it's a he'll of a operation. he was driving from Fl to cape cod every summer.

now he might be moving here for a job with CBJ he already retired once I don't understand why he wants to go back to work? I'd be fishing every day.

yes he should bring it
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up

He should bring it...plenty of creeks to access on Admiralty Is. for flyfishing, depending on weather a 16ft can get to west Admiralty for kings/cohos, Pt. Howard, Lynn Sisters for halibut etc., also good to go clamming with, deer hunting etc. I used a 16ft Lund for years around Juneau.