Thread: Headed south for fish this year (from Fairbanks)

Default Headed south for fish this year (from Fairbanks)

I bought my first boat this winter and plan to hit Seward, Valdez, and maybe Homer for some salmon/halibut fishing this summer. Whats the best time to hit these spots for King or Silvers? I know Halibut are pretty much in from May through September and I would like to do some combo fishing. Any help is gladly appreciated.

Seward will be your best bet for loadin up on silvers.....early july-august if you can get out to pony cove and the capes (Aialik or resurrection) or beyond, there may some kings in with them as well but more likely have better luck trollin caines head or calisto head for feeder kings up to 40#.... whittier can be hot some years but last 2 years have been crap IMO.....Homer can really test your patience for both silvers and kings with alot of water and not many places where fish concentrate. You really need to be prepared to up your trolling skills and no how for salmon, but you can learn it....lots of halibut there though...

There will be better advice coming along real soon here im sure lol.

Release Lake Trout

However, Id wager valdez would top it all for Kings, Silvers, and Halibut, not too mention its a shorter drive.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    However, Id wager valdez would top it all for Kings, Silvers, and Halibut, not too mention its a shorter drive.
    Yeah, thats kind of what I was thinking too. Ive been to Valdez several times now but I havent hit the runs right, hopefully someone will chime in. Thanks for the input!

Default Valdez

First of all what kind of Boat did you get? And Valdez is a great all round fishery. Starting in Late May and Early June there is a King Run. Sometimes you have to look for it, Halibut can be caught all over the Sound, PM me and I can put you on something close to the Narrows. July is a Pink run, Great fun for Kids to catch, Rock Fish are plentyful. Silvers in August to mid September. PWS is a great place to just explore as long as you have a large enough boat to keep you out of trouble. I used to make a Homer Run every year when I had a smaller boat that was more trailerable due to the fact that there is no better Halibut fishing anywhere else in the state that is easily accessible. Some will probably differ on that, but I have never been skunked in Homer, some of the other Halibut areas are hit and miss once in a while. Reguardless of where you go, Im sure you will have fun, being out fishing is better than working anytime.

350SD

Default Towing a boat

I would find a permanent place to leave the boat instead of towing it all over. The roads are too tough on transoms. A friend from Fairbanks brought his jet boat down here ONCE. Hit a bump on the way back and destroyed the transom. You are going to burn a lot of fuel and the abuse on the vehicle, boat and trailer is going to be interesting.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

the other cool thing about valdez is you can go deer or goat (if you draw the tag) hunting , and spot hunt black bear from the boat, which is always exciting.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by 350SuperDuty View Post
    First of all what kind of Boat did you get?
    350SD
    I bought a 21' Hewescraft. Its a jet so the transom damage should not hit me like it would someone with an outboard. I bought the jet to run the interior rivers due to logistics but it should be just fine in the sound provided I watch the weather.

Thanks for all of the advice, keep it coming!

Default Deer and goats

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    the other cool thing about valdez is you can go deer or goat (if you draw the tag) hunting , and spot hunt black bear from the boat, which is always exciting.
    Deer tages are over the counter. Goat tags are registration only. As soon as the limit for the registration area is near the desired harvest level the biologist in Cordova closes the area.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Ok, Ill admit it, I hadnt thought about going hunting from the boat down in Valdez until now, but now you guys have my interest peaked. Maybe that should be in the hunting section but is there any good fishing to be had in conjuntion with a mid May hunting trip in Valdez?