Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elmer Keith: His Life Story, anyone else read this book?

Default Elmer Keith: His Life Story, anyone else read this book?

An excellent read! I highly recommend it. Amazing stories about 50 years of hardship, shooting, improving and inventing calibers and cartridges, and best of all, some really **** good hunting stories! However, the man sure did knock the ol 30'06 pretty hard. For those who have read it, any comments or opinions?

Release Lake Trout

The one I read was "Hell I was Thier" great book.

yea thats the one actually.

Release Lake Trout

Default Uncle Elmer is in the top 10.

Hell I was there is getting to be an expensive($100) at the local used book store. I found a copy of Unrepentant Sinner by Col. Charles Askins Jr. at Barnes and Noble for 22.00. It is also a very good book. Boots was a bit of a killer but it was good nontheless. He was stationed in Alaska and has a Bison hunt in it.
    The Jeff Cooper books the Art of the Rifle and To Ride, Shoot straight and Speak the Truth are also very good books.

You should read Palehorse Coming by Stephen Hunter. Sure its a fictional novel but its right.

I just finished With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge about 1st Marines Division.
    Its good stuff for the soul and reminds me why we are the greatest people in the world.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Wow that expensive? I just recieved that book in new condition as well as several other books about him, including a biography with most of his hunting articles in it, as well as a half dozen very old books referring to other hunting and shooting greats from my father in Idaho. I guess id better take good care of em and hang on to em!

Release Lake Trout

very good book! It's one of my favorites.
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Default Interesting ifo

Here's a little history about Elmer I thought was good, tough kid to ask his dad to break his hand for sure!
    Hop[e it attaches OK ?
    Didn't work - my pc has an issue...
    Here is a link
    www.sixguns.com/bunkhouse/elmer_keith.htm

wow, i read that link sounds like an amazing character.

For someone who wore a 5 1/2 it will be hard to ever fill his boots

Default hell i was there...

is an awsome book...elmer was a badass. occonor, keith, warren page, bob ruark, and hemingway before them... those old gents were the real deal...thats when gunwriters and adventurers were one and the same. those guys and those like them and the words they wrote have alot to do with what we know as standards in the big game hunting world today...good read for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    An excellent read! I highly recommend it. Amazing stories about 50 years of hardship, shooting, improving and inventing calibers and cartridges, and best of all, some really **** good hunting stories! However, the man sure did knock the ol 30'06 pretty hard. For those who have read it, any comments or opinions?
    Never read the book, but I read plenty of guns and ammo articles by him. You think he was hard on the 30-06, he gave the impression the .270 was inadequate to dispatch a wounded cockroach. But the same case at .333 was the kind.
    I think it was a O'Connor revelry thing.

I have a copy that i bought at a yard sale for two dollars in Salmon Idaho close to where he had his ranch.. I loaned it to a friend about 15 years ago, if i remember right it had some writing and his signature on the inside cover, i will check it out next time I'm at my buddies..

After reading the book i thought he had spun more than just a little bit of yarn..
    Sure the guy has accomplished alot. but some of it was mighty hard to swallow..

Default book

I have it, great book! They say if elmer could see it he could hit it with his six gun!

My folks bought me a copy for my birthday in 1983. I found out latter Elmer had been to a gun show "nearby" to sign his books. Wish I'd known.

We spoke "O'Conner" in our family when I grew up. Win. M70 in .270 was THE hunting rifle.

Default I have not read it

but will after reading the short story about him. Another excellent writer was Peter Hathaway Capstick lll. The chapter on Lions in Death In The Long Grass is riveting.

Default Elmer Keith tribute at the Boise Cabelas

If you are an Elmer Keith fan and find yourself in Boise, Idaho, stop by the Cabelas store and enjoy the room dedicated to Elmer. You'll get to see a variety of his guns, some of his trophies, and a robotic Elmer that'll tell you a few stories. Nicely done, and if you enjoy looking at some historic guns, you'll probably leave drueling.

Interestingly, my Dad had the good fortune of putting Cabelas and the Keith family in touch with each other to discuss the possibility of making a room like this happen. Obviously all the pieces came together, and it sure is nice to see a tribute to a person who was such a prominant part of our firearm and hunting history.

So, if you can, check it out. It's been on display since the store opened in 2006. Here's a link to a sample tour from the Cabelas Boise store web site.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...togallery.html

you know, as my father tells it, him and my grandfather met the man several times in passing while logging or hunting and once they helped him fix up a pack string that had scattered in the bitterroot range....it was at a gun show in the 1970s that they actually realized who he was, and they talked guns for the entire day (dad is a gunsmith and gun trader, and he learned from grandpa)....which is the reason my father sent me the book ( he picked it up at a pawn shop in his town and it brought back the memory). Says he wished he coulda known him better and learned from him.

Release Lake Trout

Capstick was a bit of a fraud and was mostly camp entertainment and drinks mixer. I think his boss if not dead is in jail for the things they pulled. In the old days the writers told the factories what to make now they are just company pimps

ELmer accomplished a lot in his life. He definitely left a mark on hunting and shooting that will remain forever. Great book. I own it and have read it a couple of times.

Default good read...

My dear wife bought me "Hell, I Was There" when it first came out. It is a good read. I think Elmer was the "real deal" and could honestly lay claim to the "been there, done that" phrase. Like most that achieved his status the only thing bigger then his hat was his ego. He was very fond of medium and big bore calibers and he gave the .270 and 30-06 little praise. I sure don't agree with him on that. Then again I don't believe he used the great bullets we have available today. I first started reading his stuff as a kid in the early 60's. Because of him I started shooting the 338 Win. Mag. in 1974 and have found it to be a very good gut pile maker. He was from an era that no longer exists and there will never be another Elmer Keith. He had a unique style of writing and by the time he pulled the trigger and gutted the critter he usually described the shot, recoil of the caliber and the damage done by the bullet. He was an accomplished hand gunner, riflemen, wildcatter, horsemen, hunter, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast