Thread: Solo Hiker in May

Default Solo Hiker in May

Hello,

I'm a college student travelling solo to the Anchorage area for two weeks in May and am looking for some ideas on where to hike and how to get around relatively cheaply (so far, I haven't found a way to rent a car).

My hope was to land in Anchorage and then go around the Kenai peninsula for about a week, and then a bit Northwest of Anchroage, when hopefully the snow will have melted a bit.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks!
    Amanda

Amanda,

For getting around the Kenai Peninsula there is the Homer Stageline, they cover from Anchorage to Homer, Seward, etc.

For the journey North check with either the Park Connection or possibly the Alaska Railroad.

Not sure what difficulties you are having with rental cars (age perhaps I suppose), but we do have more than a few of 'em up here....

Lots of Hostel/Camping options for the budget traveler.

Good luck!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Lots of options around Anch in May, travelling is good that time of year. Chugach has everything from day hikes to multi day traverses, some quite remote and beautiful. The only limiting factors are time and imagination, and perhaps skill. Enjoy!

Thanks! That helps a lot. I would like to visit Chugach-any favorite hikes of yours that I should take?

I would suggest you go north first, and do Kenai after. I live in Hope, AK. Area and it snowed all day today, and we still have 48" of snow, much more than up north, which got very little snow this year. I would suggest "Gull Rock" trail, Bird Ridge trail.

I would definitely check out Flattop trail on the hillside in town- very popular, but for a good reason.

The trail to Eagle and Symphony lakes near Eagle River is also beautiful, fewer people on this trail with some amazing views at the end. ~7 miles and you can climb Cantata peak.

Crow's pass in Girdwood is also amazing, though a bit of a longer trail (26? miles) and probably should be done with 2+ people.

Devils Pass trail on the Seward Highway.

There are a ton of good hikes in/around the area's you'll be in. I'd check out

http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/ for more information.

Any questions let me know, I'm hiking or backpacking most of the summer from when classes end to when the snow flies.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Are you coming the beginning of May or the end of May? The weather varies quite a bit from the beginning to the end of the month. Just be aware that you need to be prepared for winter weather in the mountains, lots of folks get in trouble when they think they will enjoy the warm weather in the mountains we have in town and get hit with a snowstorm they didn't expect.

This is an awesome resource

http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/search_hikes.htm

Recomended hikes would be the various hikes from Prospect heights trailhead, that's flat top, powerline pass and the various loops, South Fork of Eagle River, and ER nature center to Girdwood (crow pass) But being without a vehicle means you'll either have to take a taxi or find someone that can take you from the airport to trail heads.

Here are some pics of the Flat top trail a few weeks ago.

Paul- there has been some pretty epic sledding from the top of Flattop down that front chute the last couple weeks.

Better get after it, it'll be gone before you know it!

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Amanda, do you happen to have a garmin GPS? I have all the day hikes for the chugach st park routed and waypointed. I can email you the GPX files if you like.

I am not sure how it will be in may but eklutina lake offers multiple day hikes from one camp ground. Beautiful country and a better than average chance of seeing Dall sheep as well as ptarmigan, eagle, and bears.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am not sure how it will be in may but eklutina lake offers multiple day hikes from one camp ground. Beautiful country and a better than average chance of seeing Dall sheep as well as ptarmigan, eagle, and bears.
    Eklutna is ok in May, but rainbow and bird is where you want to go to see critters...

This was a couple weeks ago....they were everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Paul- there has been some pretty epic sledding from the top of Flattop down that front chute the last couple weeks.

Better get after it, it'll be gone before you know it!

Jon
    My son and I skied down flattop from the top the weekend before last. We need to do hit some more spots before the rocks come out in earnest.

Default Thankya

Thanks for all of this! Can't wait to get up there...

Anyway, no I don't carry a Garmin but I think I know how to use the waypoints on a mapping program, so if you get a chance, I'd love to check out your file.

And rainbow and bird--are those lakes or hikes?

Definitely taking the Flattop Trail and heading down to Chugach for a bit. Looks gorgeous--I'm kinda jealous of your epic sledding/skiing.

Rainbow and Bird are "towns" along Turnagain Arm, south of Anchorage. they are also trail heads into the Chugach Mountains.

Pics from the "epic" ski trip. I think we need to hit it again before it melts.