Thread: Idirect phone/internet from GCI question

Default Idirect phone/internet from GCI question

Is anyone out there using the Idirect phone and internet service from GCI? I would sure like to know what the users think of it before I purchase and install. Price they have on it is $5499 to equipment and installation and $250 a month or so. It works off satellite.

Have any of you found a good phone service when your way off grid?

Would appreciate any info.

I have used MagicJack (barely ok). Skype (ok sometimes.) Currently we have a Hughes Net for internet that works good.

Thanks,
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Do you have cell phone service there? For phone service I have a fixed cell setup from MTA and for internet I have Hughes.net . I am very happy with both.
    The fixed cell setup is a directional antenna and a 3 watt amplifier /receiver that you plug a regular phone into. MTA lets me use it free of charge as long as I have phone service with them.
    As part of my job I use satellite phones and they are a pain, bad weather interferes with them and latency (the delay between transmitting and receiving) causes conversations to be difficult.

Default No cell service

Kelvin,
    I don't have cell coverage there. My nearest is 65 miles either direction down the Denali Highway. There are a couple of spots you can pick it up, but nothing near me. I understand this new system from GCI is excellent, but I'm having a hard time with $6,000 bucks and $240 a month. Satellite phones are out of the question, cause I know even at the cheapest rate, it would be much more dollars then the GCI.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com