Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasilla Outdoors Show??? Comments please

Default Wasilla Outdoors Show??? Comments please

Show was over the weekend so what did you guys that attended it think of it??? Just wondering??? I can give your feedback to the show promoter and maybe make it better for next year.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Smaller than I anticipated

For the most part the show met my needs of trying to connect with halibut charters for some family coming up this summer. However, I was a bit disappointed by the size. I anticipated a larger show with more vendors representing stores/products. I went on Friday at a little after noon when the show opened and it quickly filled up so I imagine that it could support more vendors from Anchorage and bring in people that don't want to go to town for the Anchorage show.

Default Wasilla Outdoor Show

I live in wasilla area and sorry to say Pot builder that after last year I told myself I don't need to do that again. I hope there wasn't as many people there selling pots/pans & sheets for your bed this year. To many things last year that didn't have a thing to do with the Alaska Outdoors. I hope that it went well for you, as you have a great product for the great outdoors. See you at the next one.

I agree with drifter. The shamwow guy and ginsu salesmen turned me off from the show.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I drove down from Soldotna walk in and bought 2 shimano reels for 20% off saved me 80 bucks but spent 100 on gas, was looking for some waders but non to be had? My boy loved the hot dogs cooking out front,

Wasn't worth the effort...Pampered Chef and Dansko shoes...really? Kind of lacked the Outdoors part...
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I live in wasilla area and sorry to say Pot builder that after last year I told myself I don't need to do that again. I hope there wasn't as many people there selling pots/pans & sheets for your bed this year. To many things last year that didn't have a thing to do with the Alaska Outdoors.
    I don't mind that too much if you can get in for free. It's an outrage for these "shows" to charge you to look at stuff to buy.

Its hard to say that you're disappointed if you expected to be disappointed. It lived up to all my expectations.

It was a great way to fuel my early-season fishing itch that I just can't get rid of right now. I think it was pretty well put together and didn't really mind the non-outdoor type vendors. I just skipped their booths, so it didn't affect me at all. Thanks for hooking me up with more pots and shrimp crack Steve! It's always good getting to hear your take on the wonderful world of shrimping!

P.S. How much are those cool blue pot connectors going to be going for at the Anchorage show? A few guys I know are pretty interested in that concept.

As for the non-outdoors vendors, can you really blame the show promoters? If you have businesses willing to pay to help put the show on, are you going to tell them no? Sure, if there are a limited number of spaces and outdoors-related vendors want to fill the place, that's the ideal solution. Putting on a show can't be cheap, though, so if selling a few booths to random retailers allows the show to happen, more power to 'em. It's not my interest, but I don't begrudge the promoter from filling another booth and making the show financially viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    As for the non-outdoors vendors, can you really blame the show promoters? If you have businesses willing to pay to help put the show on, are you going to tell them no? Sure, if there are a limited number of spaces and outdoors-related vendors want to fill the place, that's the ideal solution. Putting on a show can't be cheap, though, so if selling a few booths to random retailers allows the show to happen, more power to 'em. It's not my interest, but I don't begrudge the promoter from filling another booth and making the show financially viable.

I see your point Brian but the show here in Anchorage is no different. More hot tubs, sham wows, nut wackers (or whatever that thing is that shamwow guy is selling). I have found a deal or two in the past but the Show in town is like the fair. Same things over and over and over. At least at the fair you can pig out. I wont be attending the show here this year either. Not to mention that the sportsman show is why the aces are moving to wasilla for the opening round of the playoffs. Even after the Aces offered them cash to take it to the Denani (sp) center. My own little personal beef there
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I liked it better than the one in Anchorage. I didn't have pay some clown to park and, being retired military, I didn't have to pay to get in. I also dropped $600 on shrimping gear and rolled over to the gun show afterwards and dropped another $200 there...

Default It takes a lot

It is unreal how much effort it takes to put on one of these shows. I can only guess what goes into them. On the flip side I think it is crazy how much they charge to get into one. I have looked into booth prices several years ago and it was a lot more than I wanted to spend. I know the one in Anchorage has a high enough attendance, and charges enough on the booths that it could lower the admission price. It is no longer a show for the sportsman, but an opportunity for someone to make outrageous money. Good for them they only get money from me every 3-4 years. I only go to remind myself how muc I dislike it. There are enough good deals on the internet if you know what you want you can get great deals.

I look at these types of shows as entertainment. I enjoy the whole experience of product browsing and people watching. If I see something interesting, I'll buy it (I usually don't come home empty handed), if not, so be it. As "Brian M" stated, the promoter is in business. No profit, no show. Same thing goes with the vendors. You only have "x" amount of advertising / sales promotion dollars in the budget. If you can't make it work at the show, (read: sell your product) you aren't likely to do it again. I'm pretty sure Potbuilder would agree here, huh Steve?

Lastly, I love watching the Sham Wow guy (the older gentleman) work. I laugh hard as I look around and see how many people are walking around with them stuffed under their arms. I appreciate great sales people, and he's definately one. He's selling rags for crying out loud!

Default Shouldn't be Outdoor & Rec show then

Call it the Spring Alaska Show or such.

Same thing for the spa dealers setting up at the boat shows, they ain't boat, have nothing to do with boats and I am paying to see boats and boat stuff not spas or patio brincks, or sham wows or other stuff.

It would be like Steve setting up at the home improvement show, people would look at him and think " What the hell is he doing here"

If there isn't enough outdoor rec business buying spots then maybe they should think smaller venue and a price drop

( I used to work for one of the hack spa places that sets up at every show they are allowed in)

I have had a fair amount of experience as an exibitor participating in shows. Not outdoor shows or boat shows mind you, but the concept is the same. The "show" business is a huge industry unto itself. Your $3.00 admission (peanuts) went to offset the cost of the venue rental, thereby lowering the cost of the exhibit space, thereby getting more vendors, thereby getting a greater and more diverse crowd. If you're not interested in what you see at one booth, move on to the next. I looked at the show's website. The published booth space was only $475, which, again was a really reasonable price in my opinion. To me, it's impressive that Wasilla could support such a show. It all boils down to whether or not it pays for both the vendors and the promoter.

Now come on, can't you use a Sham Wow on your boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post

Now come on, can't you use a Sham Wow on your boat?
    ...or to soak up all the tears being shed on this thread!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    ...or to soak up all the tears being shed on this thread!
    (Thats funny. Yet another use. The list is endless!

Default It wasn't a bad show

I went on sunday and ended up buying a Gary king 290 series raft w/ the optional aluminum floor for a price I could only dream of! Way more than half off list . I would have never in a million years expected to own one of these gems, I thought I was going to have to settle for a lesser raft but it was my lucky day. I visited w/ Steve and talked about davits and pullers which is my next purchase (after the reds and kings start pouring over the roller hehehe)
    Then to top off the afternoon I got to see my nephew play in Wasillas 1st professional arena football game. He was #77 (the only Alaska player on the team, but I'm not certain) anyway they had a good 1st 1/2 and got trounced the 2nd

Was not impressed once again. They need more booths selling things people are more likely to buy like fishing gear, or hunting apparel and accesories. Maybe even new amazing sporting things that just hit the market. I did talk with the fish cracker lure inventor for awhile though the wife did look at the dansko shoes ( I think the shoes were to help make the women happy while the men were yacking). Steve was one of the few who had good stuff but I guess thats in my eyes since I shrimp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast