Thread: Arctic Wilderness sheep hunt?

Default Arctic Wilderness sheep hunt?

I am thinking about doing a sheep hunt on either of these three rivers (Hulahula, Canning, or Kongakut)

Has anyone hunted these areas?

How did you get their?

Any info you are willing to pass please leave a message or email me at tv321@excite.com or call me at 907-746-5548

Thanks

Troy

Default Air Service

contact Kirk of Yukon Air Service

907-479-3993 (October-May) * 907-662-2445 (June-September)

Am doing the same hunt this fall with a group of 4. If your going solo may want to stay away from the Upper Canning as it is seems to be pretty well used. If your paying an outfitter to do it though, I suppose the Canning might be a good option as you could float down and hunt bou. PM me and we could talk specifics, perhaps I could point you in the right direction.

There is at least one guide based in each of those drainages that I know about (may be more). Since those are in ANWR you can check their web site for specifics ( http://arctic.fws.gov/ ). In addition those drainages are quite popular (esp. the Canning and Hulahula) and so you should expect to see other sheep hunters. In addition Kirk, who is an excellent pilot and with whom I have had fly both myself and my sons into these areas for sheep numerous times used to fly almost exclusively for the guide based in the Kongakut - relevent fact to be knowledgeable of. Kirk knows this neck of the woods very well and will treat you honestly. You can not go wrong if you can get him to fly you into anywhere in ANWR. Good luck.

Default 06

He was flying DIY huters last year, I know of at least one party that went to the Hula Hula with Dirk, took a really nice ram out of there

Smile Arctic Wilderness sheep hunt?

Thank you all for the infomation. I will contact Kirk and see what is going on. My thought are to fly to kaktovik and flight out with (Walt) or I was told to flight out of Artic Village. I also was thinking of flying out with Dirk (Coyote air) but this may cost too much $$$.

I am leaning on going to the Kongakut river and doing a little float trip. I understand that the Hulahula has a large number of sheep, but also a few more hunters, and the Canning has even more pressure. I was told to fly into Drain creek and get pick up at Caribou Pass. Does this sound right? Not sure how the river is.

Thanks again for all that have responded to my questions.

Troy

Default Stay away

from Kaktovic if at all possible, fly into ft Yukon with Wrights air service and then out with Dirk of Yukon air, your much better off!!

Talking Thinking of purchasing an Electric bear fence! What do you think?

posted this in the wrong area. Sorry!

Several more questions about my upcoming hunt. How is the river for floating? Class type? How is the fishing? How late is too late for this hunt? I am looking at the end of Aug.

Kirk can answer specific questions with regard to the Kongakut. Drain Creek to Caribou Pass is the same drop off point and pick up points that Kirk uses for John Peterson who is the guide that has the Kongakut concession. Kirk is an excellent pilot and knows the area well. All guides and outfitters are gone from the north side of the Brooks in ANWR by the end of Aug (if not sooner) b/o weather. There is a long history of episodic bear problems at Caribou Pass - because of all the caribou and camping floaters waiting for pickup in the area? Year before last a very experienced Alaskan floater and his wife who were floating the Hulahula were attacked and killed in their tent. I personally know of at least 3 other incidents where a sheep hunter was either charged or his camp was destroyed on the Hulahula in the last 10 years prob (because of the increased gut piles?). On my trips there I have always seen bears but never had sig. problems. Weight might be a problem for a fly in float hunt. Good luck.