Thread: Which glacier cruise for picture taking?

Default Which glacier cruise for picture taking?

I'm looking for a half or full day (8-12 hour) trip this summer. For the most scenic cruises, which one do I want to take? At the moment I have a point-n-shoot Canon 3x zoom camera, so close-up pics may be a factor unless I upgrade.

Any help is much appreciated.

I liked a Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward. My wife tried the 26 Glacier Cruise out of Whittier, but was disappointed. Plenty of glaciers, but not much else to see. In the Kenai Fjords you are likely to see more birds, whales and other animals.

Definitely upgrade the camera. Get at lease a 10x zoom for trips like these.

I sure second what Jim said. 26 Glacier is amazing if the weather is good. But Kenai Fjords has a WOW factor that the glacier cruise doesn't. Lots of critters on land and sea. Do the 12 hour wildlife tour. Captain Erica is super cool!!!
    EricL

Default I third what jim said

Over the years when family and friends come for a visit i would take them out of seward. The kenai fjords trips are a must see if you haven't been out. Still get to see glaciers but better whales than PWS.Last fall becouse of the railroad giving a free ride to any one turning 50 I took them up and a friend and I went down on the rail. In Sept it was so nice. What a great trip in itself. Named one of the best rail trips in America. Then go out on a boat trip with dinner than back to town. that made for a long day, but was worth it. Tourist aren't the only ones that should enjoy some of these great little trips close to home. If you just go out halibut fishing you see the same things only you get fish to. The tour boats do talk with one another so they do know where the whales are and they do get you close to them. Some times I think to close. enjoy the trip.

Kenai Fjords- full day tour.

Thank you for all the wonderful advice. It is definitely appreciated. When it comes to picture taking I want that coveyed "million dollar view" ......It looks like the Kenai Fjords will be on my list this year. I am excited as my brother will be flying to Alaska this summer and he deserves the best as well!

Default sea life center

If I where you and going out with people that have never been out in the fjord go to the seward sea life center first. There you can learn more about what it is your going out to see. I think the top level of that place is so cool as it looks like they mined the stone and shells out of the fjord, but its all concrete. Years ago one of the tour boats where giving free tickets to the center with the fjord trip. Also last year when we went out the boat with dinner on board was ok and the food was ok , but the thing I learned was make sure the boat you go out on has a outside top somewhere. When its raining hard and you have whales jumping its nice to be outside on the top deck but still have some cover. Lots of them do, but the one we where on only had little wings that about 6 people could stand under and they then blocked the best views for all the people in side looking out the glass. It was pretty messed up. You want a covered rear deck area that way those inside can enjoy the views as well as you and you and your camera stay dry. Just me 2 cents...Andrew

Okay....seems everyone is always stuck on the close to Anchortown places so I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring. Valdez. Took a Stan Stephens trip in early August a while ago. We saw the Columbia and Meares glaciers, icebergs, otters, whales, seals, etc. Fun times.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Couple more.

And more..

Look into the "Captians Choice Tour" with Kenai Fjords Tours out of Seward. We did that and loved it. Smaller boat, like 20 people on boat, gets closer to wildlife, and popular with photographers. My wife and I did the larger NW Fjord tour, larger boat that is, and it paled in comparison to the Captains Choice Tour. We did this in the last week of May 2008. Doing this trip again this July myself.

http://www.kenaifjords.com/kenai-custom-tours.html

Below are some pics from that day cruise...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan you always take some good shots from what I have seen and again you have some very nice ones of the wonderful kenai fjords. Good job man!

Thanks man. The main requirement for taking good pictures is spending time in pretty places. Alaska makes it easy to do this.

-Dan