Thread: First bears in PWS

Default First bears in PWS

When is the earliest anyone as seen bears in pws?

April 30th.

I have been out mid April and seen bears. Not many, but it beats watching others hunt on TV.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Never been out of PWS but I have seen them out of homer the last weekend of April. I know its not PWS but its the same terrain

Default Bears are out

Driving onto Valdez yesterday afternoon we spotted a black bear up above the duck flats. Seems a little early, however it was there. There still is over four-five feet of snow on the ground in town (Valdez), but it is warming up.

Default April 19

I took this bear many years ago on the 19th of April. Both his front pads were split very badly, I don't if it had got him up or not. We saw to bears that weekend and took them both.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...pictureid=7726

Default april 21

that was in 2003, saw several that day

Quote Originally Posted by Rod123 View Post
    Driving onto Valdez yesterday afternoon we spotted a black bear up above the duck flats. Seems a little early, however it was there. There still is over four-five feet of snow on the ground in town (Valdez), but it is warming up.
    That is crazy. I am in Valdez and we do have a ton of snow still. I am really hoping that the beaches stay full of snow until late in May as I don't have time to chase them until then. Someone page daveinthebush as he usually has a pretty good handle on the bear situation down here and can usually peg when they are likely to start poking around in numbers.

In 2000 I believe it was we saw 13 bears in 2.5 days. Two were killed. We were way out there around the Latuche, Elrington and what not. In years past, we just waited till the bait got hit and always hunted that bay pretty much. Middle of May is when the first bears were killed closer to Whittier, but still on a island.

We would hit the water first weekend of April every year. Do a test run with the short tunnel times. Then hit the shrimp weekend and take out the bear bait.

I like what Spoiled one said, better than watching others hunt on TV. Get out there and glass. Might be too high, but still hunting. Make that boat pay for itself!