Thread: 130 grn for Black Bear?

Default 130 grn for Black Bear?

Would you use a 270cal 130 grn BTSP speer for black bear? I'm having a little trouble with my daughters rifle. I wanted to use some barnes 140 TSX but the rifle really doesn't like them. I reloaded the 130 grn speers and I've found a couple of different loads that it likes and shooting sub MOA groups. I tried some factory 150 grn winchesters but it's a 2" group Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Would you use a 270cal 130 grn BTSP speer for black bear? I'm having a little trouble with my daughters rifle. I wanted to use some barnes 140 TSX but the rifle really doesn't like them. I reloaded the 130 grn speers and I've found a couple of different loads that it likes and shooting sub MOA groups. I tried some factory 150 grn winchesters but it's a 2" group Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Without the slightest bit of hesitation. If you are looking for a heavier round though you might want to check out the 140grn Nos Accubond.

Should be fine, my son dropped a Griz shooting a .260cal with 120 grain Barnes TSX.

Default Just fine

My son shoots a 243 with a 90 grain bullet and has no problem killing these critters. Killem all!

Thumbs up

Go for it. I shot an 8' foot grizz with a .30-06 and 150 grain Barnes TSX and he didn't make 40 yards.

Furthest I've had a blackie run was about 30 yards or so. Friends have told me the same. They aren't the toughest critters out there, just make sure you put that bullet in the boiler maker.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

What GAredneck said.
    Paul

The 130gr. bullet is the load that made the .270s reputation. Jack O'Connor used and preferred the 130gr. over the heavier weights.

I'd be fine with it considering how lightly built black bears actually are.

I have had good results with 117 gr. 25-06 on black bear.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

My boy (12y/o) killed a black bear last year with a 130gr TSX out of a 270wsm.

Default looking good

I've been working on the acuracy and I'm getting sub MOA's with the 130 grains. Workin out the last detail as whether to go with the 57 or 59 grains of RL-22 I'm getting averaging about 2870 fps.

Both my daughters have taken several bears with the .243 and 95 grain bullets. None have run further then 30 yards....