Thread: Bear cooler space?

Default Bear cooler space?

Anyone have any knowledge as to how much cooler space 2 average size black bears would take up? I'm sure there are a bunch of variables like whether or not that it's booned and I'm not sure that would be possible or not. May need to look at it both ways. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Default 150qt

I have a large madd dog frame pack and I was able to squeeze in 4 quarters and the back straps off of my wifes 6 footer this last spring, but she had to carry the hide out. I think that you could fit two bears in one of those 150qt coolers pretty easy I dont know if the hides will fit in there though

Default Coleman Mad Dog external frame backpack?

0321Tony, how big is your pack?

I'm not familiar with Madd Dog Gear, but with Yahoo search, I found one, by Coleman (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...d=25531&brand=)

This one is 3,308 cu in or 49+ quarts.

Like this?

I would think two 6 footers could fit in one 54 quart cooler, may have to do some cutting with the quarters. The hides would take another cooler and that is if they are fleshed and salted good. I think you could get the skulls in a combination of the above as well. I like to bone out (normally chop all bear meat up for sausage) in a small town before catching a flight back, trim things up real good and if you can freeze the meat, I've even taken the meat in a carry on after it froze and was de-boned. I've also taken skulls as my personal item carry one (in a small roll bag, with a couple of trash bags around it). They opened a skull bag up in Juneau once, I was worried about the issues that might cause but surprising the TSA agents were more interested in the size of the bear (a nice brown skull on that trip).

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    0321Tony, how big is your pack?

I'm not familiar with Madd Dog Gear, but with Yahoo search, I found one, by Coleman (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...d=25531&brand=)

This one is 3,308 cu in or 49+ quarts.

Like this?

Thats the one and man I like that pack there has been a lot of meat hauled with it and its very comfortable I have been using it for about 5 years and grosly overloaded it and even the zippers still work. If I pour the food into a trashbag it holds right at 60 lbs of dog food for my bait station.
    Last year I got my wifes bear in it 4 quarters and the back straps not boned out and when I brought the quarters to the processor it was 78 lbs so it will haul a load