Thread: KCK Raft Class

Default KCK Raft Class

Knik Canoers and Kayakers raft class is open for new registrants. This class fills up fast, and is often completely full by the time KCK holds their annual free safety class (April 15 this year)

Check it out: http://kck.org/classes.html

Default Dates

I would like to take this class but I am unavailable (because of work schedule) on the dates posted on there web sight May 17, 22,and 23. But April 15th would be perfect. I will give them a call. Thank You

I did this last year and the 15 date is just a sign up night with a talk on water safety. Then they have a night in the class room then the 2 days in may are on the water. It was fun and always something to learn I figure. Good bunch of people. If you are wanting to do this do not be late the night of sign up as it fills up fast and they will only take so many. I went into town early that day when I got to the library it was 15 min early. I sat a few mins then went in about 10 mins before it was to start and they had starting signing names earlier then said time and I was almost not on the list. So go early!

At the last meeting they said not to wait until the April 15 safety meeting to sign up, as the raft class might be full before the meeting starts. I would send an email to KCK to see if you can get contact info to sign up right away.

The classroom session is May 17, and the on river time is May 22 & 23. They usually use the Matanuska from King Mt Lodge to Kings River, and they run it once each day. You will be assigned a raft instructor, usually with one other student, and at the half way point, you switch instructors. If you stick for both days you will have the collective advice from four experienced instructors, and several opportunities to row. In between raft days we camp out for the night behind the old lodge. It's a pretty good system that requires a whole bunch of volunteers to pull it off. No one is getting paid, and the proceeds are used to pay for KCK's other activities.

BTW, if you are an experienced boater and are willing to share your experience with newer boaters, KCK would love to have your help.

Default University of Alaska Anchorage calsses

Hello all,
    Just a thought; I see lots of people wanting to learn how to raft. Every summer UAA has a beginner rafting class (1 in class, 1 pool, 3 days on moving water). This class fills every year for the past five years. If the demand exists UAA may run more classes as needed.This year for the first time ever we are offering an intermediate rafting class. If you can read water, and manuever a raft, you may be able to sign up for the intermediate class. We are doing the Little Nel/Tazlina trip and multiple days on the Lowe, and Tsaina rivers. If you have questions you can email me antjm2@uaa.alaska.edu or call the UAA HPER department 786-4083. See you on the river.

I am advertising becasue I am the instructor and like educating others of the wonderful world of rafting.

"Little Nel/Tazlina trip and multiple days on the Lowe, and Tsaina rivers"

Now that sounds like a fun class!