Thread: wall tent with tarp and stove ?s

Default wall tent with tarp and stove ?s

I have a wall tent that I have been using mr buddy heaters in and I want to go with a wood stove. I have to put in a stove pipe piece in but what I am concerned about is I have used a tarp over the tent for years to keep the rain out and if I put that on do I need to cut a hole in the tarp and put a pipe piece there also and with a spark arrestor do I need to worry about the tarp catching on fire? Any ideas or opinions appreciated.

I've done the same thing, using a tarp as a rain fly. When i've done it, i normally just folded the corner back to where that section of tent was exposed. I've weathered some pretty good storms like this without much moisture coming in on the exposed section, i think the heat helps alot. As for burning holes in the tarp, there've been a few every year, but the tarps were inexpensive so they just get some other use after the trip. I realize that "water proof" in Alaska is a completely different thing than "water proof" in Wyoming, but maybe some of this will help.

just trying to think of something that may help...what about some aluminium foil or something around the hole you have to cut in the tarp so water doesnt come in. If the foil touches the pipe nothing will happen and it shouldnt transfer heat to the tarp?. I dont know might be stupid but better than a wet spot saturating your roof.

Adding extra lengths of stove pipe helps keep the burns to a minimum.
    I have also seen folks just run their pipe out the side wall at an angle.
    I think Kin-co makes some heat shields that would work also..

Theres a picture of one with the pipe coming out at an angle on the thread titled Wall tents anybody use them, its the last post by Allgood..

Heres a link that has the heat shield that you might could use, look under accessories
    (fiberglass flue shield) http://www.walltentshop.com/SimsStove.html

What type of wall tent do you have?? I have owned several and never once had one leak , the folks that i hunt with have wall tents also and none of them ever leaked either..
    Between us we have Montana brand,,Thunder mountain,,and Davis..

I used a fairly fine mesh (1/8" mesh, I think) screen for a spark arrestor in my wood stove pipe for my wall tent and it really helped. The top of my stove pipe was maybe 2' taller than the ridgeline of the tent, never felt the need for an additional section. I did leave the area of the tent above the stove uncovered, whereas the rest of the tent was covered with visqueen. I think the heat from the wood stove pretty much kept that portion of the roof dry.

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    I used a fairly fine mesh (1/8" mesh, I think) screen for a spark arrestor in my wood stove pipe for my wall tent and it really helped. The top of my stove pipe was maybe 2' taller than the ridgeline of the tent, never felt the need for an additional section. I did leave the area of the tent above the stove uncovered, whereas the rest of the tent was covered with visqueen. I think the heat from the wood stove pretty much kept that portion of the roof dry.
    I like a tarp too. But last summer we had my tent down on the beach at kasilof for 3 days. One day it rained pretty much all day. We had no tarp but the wood stove was cranking all day long. It was dry and toasty inside the whole time. The top canvas is treated but I don't think it is waterproof.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, just fold the tarp back in that area and you will be fine.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

thanks for all the replies I am unsure of the brand of tent I have had it for years . Now I am going to build some wood stoves and hopefully be cozy warm instead of damp warm.