Thread: March camping near Anchorage

Default March camping near Anchorage

I live in Eagle River, and I'm looking for a place to spend a few days camping. I'd kinda like to do about 2 days car camping and another 2 days hiking/camping. Does anyone have any ideas where I can go? I'm new to the area and have no idea where I can go. Are campgrounds open this time of year? I know theres one in Eagle River just off the interstate. Thanks!

I think most/all state & federal campgrounds are usually closed until sometime in May, about the time things start to turn green. Doesn't mean you can't go camping though. Just that you'll have to do it more in the rough.

It's a little easier when the weather is colder though. Right now it gets pretty wet most afternoons.

Any suggestions on where to go

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    I think most/all state & federal campgrounds are usually closed until sometime in May, about the time things start to turn green. Doesn't mean you can't go camping though. Just that you'll have to do it more in the rough.

It's a little easier when the weather is colder though. Right now it gets pretty wet most afternoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrpokey View Post
    I live in Eagle River, and I'm looking for a place to spend a few days camping. I'd kinda like to do about 2 days car camping and another 2 days hiking/camping. Does anyone have any ideas where I can go? I'm new to the area and have no idea where I can go. Are campgrounds open this time of year? I know theres one in Eagle River just off the interstate. Thanks!
    you can camp IN anchorage! the tent city downtown by the school where the bums sleep or the campbell creek area by tudor and lakotis is another hot spot for camping of bums.. just dont try any dumpsters, they get squishy..there is pleanty of camping in anchorage tho.
    Semper Fi!

You are a bit early for the season. When we go this time of year it is to the cabin with snowmachines. We used to go to hatcher pass with ATVs and had a blast. If you are wanting to fish, you will have to go to the Kenai. Be prepared for freezing temps. Maybe Kasilof for steelhead? Only been once and it was years ago. Check regs. The snow should go pretty fast. Be patient. Good Luck!
    Mike

The best option are the various rental cabins, either state public use or the ones at the Eagle River nature center. The ~$40/night is well worth it as you don't have to deal with finding a dry spot to pitch a tent, and they have wood stoves! The cabins are also popular and will typically be booked every weekend, but you if you are free week days you should have little problem finding vacancies.

Campgrounds generally open Memorial day, and the campgrounds tend to be dry enough to camp around Mothers Day. The nice thing is you can camp in most of the campgrounds that aren't formally open pre-season for free!

Can you elaberate on this preseason camping for free thing? I'm new to the area, and where I'm from (Virginia) the campgrounds are open year round. Which campgrounds can I do this preseason camping for free at? I live in Eagle River and I know theres that campground off the interstate, could I camp there?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The best option are the various rental cabins, either state public use or the ones at the Eagle River nature center. The ~$40/night is well worth it as you don't have to deal with finding a dry spot to pitch a tent, and they have wood stoves! The cabins are also popular and will typically be booked every weekend, but you if you are free week days you should have little problem finding vacancies.

Campgrounds generally open Memorial day, and the campgrounds tend to be dry enough to camp around Mothers Day. The nice thing is you can camp in most of the campgrounds that aren't formally open pre-season for free!

Eagle River Campground is usually locked up tight until it officially opens. The last couple years it has opened a week or two before Memorial Day, but it is an exception to the norm.

Many rural state campgrounds don't have a gate, or have ways to get around it. And since no one's doing any checking, if you can get in you're good to go.

Personally, if going soon, I would look for something at least 100 miles north of Anchorage, and preferably something with a bit of elevation. That should get you out of at least some of the day time slush.

For state campgrounds I would look at Kings River, Matanuska Glacier, or any of the campgrounds past Talkeetna going towards Denali Park. Some of those will be wetter than others.

You don't have to use designated campgrounds though. Just about any public land can be squatted on for a few days. Lots of people doing this in the Eureka Lodge area all year long.

Does anyone know of anywhere relatively close to Anchorage (within 25 miles) to do some camping? I'd love to do some of the places listed below, but I don't have any vacation time left for a while at work, so I'll just have to go for a day or two, which makes me have to stay near Anchorage. I was hoping Eagle River Campground would be available, but apparently not.

sorry bud, I just cant think of anywhere except for just south of Mchugh creek theres a pullout on the left side of the road headin south from anchorage, lined with big rocks and stuff with a big high cliff to the right .....we've parked over nite there several times while camping up on the ridge in that area....beautiful country, some wildlife (sheep and moose) and lots of hiking trails in the area....if you follow the steep but well established trail up from the parking spot, there are many places that offer great secluded camping spots with plenty of firewood and shelter from the wind....

keep in mind, it is NOT the water hole on the corner, but just past it, but that may too be a possible area, though there is always a green chevy truck with a wooden box camper parked there.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Mrpokey View Post
    Does anyone know of anywhere relatively close to Anchorage (within 25 miles) to do some camping? I'd love to do some of the places listed below, but I don't have any vacation time left for a while at work, so I'll just have to go for a day or two, which makes me have to stay near Anchorage. I was hoping Eagle River Campground would be available, but apparently not.
    Be patient, summer is coming. Remember that Anchorage is an hour away from Alaska. The only people that I know that are camping are ice fishermen and they are pretty hardcore. Most of the people that are spending nights outside of the big city have cabins etc.......

Mike

cmon Mike lets not get spoiled here.....Cabins are not for camping....they are for...well......i dont rightly know.....but id rather sleep rolled up in a bag under the stars with a good tarp close by if it decides to rain! And only as long as I have my bear medicine close at hand, while they are roaming. now thats campin

Release Lake Trout

I agree on the cabin comment. I'm just looking for a place to pitch my tent, and camp out for a few days.

Why 25 miles? Are you riding a bike?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default tent camping

Good one phish! Now this might be a mile or 2 over 25 from eagle river, but if you really need to get out in that tent why not just go out to the knik river. take the old glen hwy down to the old bridge. From there you can pick what ever river bank you like. If you go down knik river rd about 1.5-2 miles on left there is a drive way that goes down by the swimming hole. Lots of people camp there. Our snow is mostly gone and it's pretty nice there. If the wind starts blowing hard it can get pretty dusty from the river silt. check it out I think it would work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Good one phish! Now this might be a mile or 2 over 25 from eagle river, but if you really need to get out in that tent why not just go out to the knik river. take the old glen hwy down to the old bridge. From there you can pick what ever river bank you like. If you go down knik river rd about 1.5-2 miles on left there is a drive way that goes down by the swimming hole. Lots of people camp there. Our snow is mostly gone and it's pretty nice there. If the wind starts blowing hard it can get pretty dusty from the river silt. check it out I think it would work for you.
    Where is this area? I've never heard of it

Pick this book up ASAP. It's a good starting point.

Eagle River Campground is great if you enjoy highway noise 24/7. There is even a river that you can fish 6 days out of the year.

This is a big state and it requires some driving, boating, or flying. Many of the members here drive 150 miles to go fishing, then drive home after fishing. That's why we are snickering about the 25 mile limitation. A lot of folks have much further of a commute.

Good luck and have fun.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Drive north on the Glenn hwy as if going to wasilla, Palmer. Just before the river bridges (Matanuska river & Knik river) on the hwy there is a overpass. Turn off there. Thats the old glenn hwy. Go down that for a few miles and you will see a old bridge over the knik river that is no longer used. you will see that the road has a right turn in that corner before you cross the new bridge. If you turn there thats the knik river road. Lots of area there. If you cross over the new bridge you will see where people take 4 wheelers and camp all up and down the silt/sand beach. lots of area out there and really not that far from you. If you are tent camping, get over the fact of camping in camp grounds. Those are for people with buses and tin boxes. With a tent you can hike in almost any where and camp. FYI there are good bears out there, as in many of them. so learn to keep camp clean. They should be coming out of their nap. Phish is right in that you need that Alaska topo book. also on this site was shared this free mapping the other day and think it's pretty handy. Unlike google earth it will do mapping and topo. this will help you http:/mapper.acme.com