Thread: shark skin fly line

Default shark skin fly line

I am thinking about getting some shark skin fly line, but I was wondering what you guys thought of it. I have always used Rio long cast, but how does shark skin compare? Thanks for your input.

Red face They Don't

It's like well comparing apples to apples IMO. I have used several RIO's nice line! I also use Orvis Wonder lines and a couple of S.I.'s however that being said I also like Cortland ok I am a junkie! However "However" For shooting Line I have found nothing that cast like a Shark Skin to getter done. Would I use one for fishing size 22 dry flies nope. Would I use one for tossing beads, flesh and Buggers Yepper. Little Spendy but well worth the investment IMO.

I know I am as much help as a Dung Beetle sorry! That's what happens with a fly line junkie. I am sure some will have some more positive input. If you can visit a store that might have some demos set up I am sure you will like the feel os a SK.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes.

It floats, mends and shoots great, but it's noisy and cost about $30 more than other premium lines. I'm not sure about longevity, but I have enough trouble justifying $70 fly line considering how many rods I line. For the kind of fishing we do, I think it's a waste of good money, but YMMV!

Moose: I'm no scientist, so can you explain why you prefer this for dredging over dries? This line doesn't reflect like most do, so I'd guess it would be better for spooky fish. Something we don't see too often, especially sub surface.

Default Great Point W

Well if I were casting in a wind bar none the thing shoots shoots shoots but trying to solve the spalsh is tuff. There are a couple fo places around Fairbanks with quite waters the have reasonable Midge fishing during the summer. I had a very hard time placing the fly upon the water properly with the SK I know hard to believe almost like trout fishing with selective Grayling. Darnest thing you ever saw selective feeding in less than 2ft of gin clear water nothing big fish from 12-16 inches but requires a delicate presentation and I found it difficult to do with that line.

Heck I fish a lot of Cortalnd 333 still becuase they are not expensive and get the job done for flipping. I do however love the SK for shooting Buggers quickly into tight spots. They do have one other issue besides being a little loud. At the end of the day when stripping your fingers are about worn down to bone i.e. 8-10 hours of pounding. Still line of choice for me fishing 4-5-6W small streams.

Tellen you man I think I am a line junkie I still have a Tri Taper W from 15 years ago I will only fish with a certain 3W. I guess I am just sick! :-)

Default Don't forget the Ultra 4!

SA hands down has the lead on the barget minded flyfisherman... Ultra 4 is an awsome line that lasts better then any Cortland line on the market. Second choice would be an Airflo line.

I was given some sharkskin line here recently and look forward to using it.

I do have a concern...with the amount of fishing I do, I've developed some kind of wart like deal on my pointer finger where I strip line through. I think it's from the salt water, not sure.

Anyways, I think that sharkskin is going to be hell on my stripping hand/fingers, we'll see.

I can get SA on the cheapside....gotta stock up while I can still get it

Sharkskin is the slickest line I have ever casted by far, so if that's important to you, then you'll love it. Because it's so slick, it casts and shoots through your guides extremely easily. The noise annoys some people (it humms when you cast), but I actually kind of like it for some weird reason. Its floatability is very comparable to other premium lines. The only problem I've ever had with it is having it freeze up on me during wintertime fishing (<20degrees). I just got some of the steelhead taper sharkskin, which is suppose to be designed for cold water fishing, so I'm hoping it fixes that problem.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

It shoots very well and floats high in the water making it easy to work but it will remove skin from your finger when stripping for long periods and I just can't get used to the noise.
    Like moose said, you may or may not like it. You almost have to try it and see. I still have not made up my own mind after a year of using it???:-)

Default Best application-situation?

When is sharkskin at its best?

Sounds like this line lives up to the claims in ads.
    Fishing Mat Valley and Kenai Penn streams, I can think of a few situations where I use long casts, but not many and not often. I fish 2 rods/lines (5wt, 8wt) all year with an 8wt spare spool for multitip.

Supposedly, this line floats higher. Has anyone noticed... are long sections of line easier to lift off the water? Any examples of when this line would be at its best?

Thanks.

No matter how much one spends gear you are still the same fisherman.

Airflo ridge line works on basically the same principle as sharkskin, and is more pliable in cold water and doesn't tear up your fingers.

Sharkskin IS a stiffer line, but boy, does it get dirty in a hurry. Problem is, the "scallops" in sharkskin make it nearly impossible to clean, so when your line starts sinking...that's pretty much what it is going to do.

Having said that, I have used various sharkskins for 3 years now in very specific applications, and I use them because they perform the best at the particular task I ask of them.

For most other single-hand applications, I use Airflo ridgelines.

And if you fish the 2 hander, I recommend you stay away from the sharkskin running line. For the $67 it costs, you could get 5 good Stroft running lines, or 2 Guideline Complines, or 2 Airflo Ridgerunners...you get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    Sharkskin IS a stiffer line, but boy, does it get dirty in a hurry. Problem is, the "scallops" in sharkskin make it nearly impossible to clean, so when your line starts sinking...that's pretty much what it is going to do.
    Sharkskin does get dirty fast and retains a lot of the dirt due to the shark-like skin. Its a good line new but after a few good trip here in AK it will get dirty and never perform as supposed to.

Default AirFlo

G_Smolt.
    Great post about the Air-Flo. I've been using Air-Flo lines for quite a few years now and it's always performed excellent. I have yet to pony up and try the Sharkskin stuff, and honestly don't see myself wanting to for AK. If I fished to some very selective trout in the lower 48 or NZ, I'd probably get the stuff, but up here I don't really see much of a benefit. The dirty factor and the fact that our rivers have so much fine sediment and silt, make me want the Sharkskin even less.