Thread: First real outboard

Default First real outboard

Just picked up my first today. It's a 2000 tohatsu 2 stroke. Runs great. Anything to keep an eye out for? I also need to install a rectifier kit to allow me to charge a battery. Who deals with tohatsus in town or am I better off ordering online? Can't wait to get out with it this summer. Andrew

Andrew,
    Marita is the Tohatsu dealer...that said I`d order your parts online as they are super proud of them. I looked into doing it on a small new 4-stroke and they were talking $850...rediculous. Tahatsu motors are basically a Merc in different clothing (4-strokes at least).

Default Marita has been fair with me

Haven't had to have much service work done with them but Marita has not yet tried to gouge me on time/materials. Would still get a quote from them, then if an outrageous number comes up I'd tactfully inquire as to why so much. Depending on who you are speaking with they'll give you the necessary insight to do the 'fix' yourself.
    And yeah, Mercs 30hp or less are made by tohatsu as are all your nissans.

Default Love Tohatsu

I had a 70hp 2-stroke on my 18 foot skiff and that engine was bulletproof for the 6 years I owned it. The dealer in Homer where I bought it told me "Remember that when something goes wrong on this engine it's usually YOUR doing and not the engine". That ended up being true with most fixes coming from a bad electrical connection on the battery or bad gasoline.

If it's been taken care of, it will be a great engine for you. I had Marita do my winterizing and they did it at a fair price.

I have a Tohatsu 9.8 kicker now on my new boat for trolling.

As far as things to look out for, water pumps need to be replaced periodically, same goes for fuel filters and sometimes the fuel pump diaphrams.

I'd recomend a racor filter/seperator if your boat doesn't have one.

Default Yup

What Paul said about the water pump.

I would just replace the fuel filter every year during winterization and really never ran into fuel problems if I remembered to do that (the first year I had fuel problems until I started replacing the filter).

The "pisser" would get clogged up if I didn't do a fresh water flush after each trip. I suspect it was salt and other crud settling out between my trips (there were long periods of time between trips in which the boat sat out of the water). While this kept the boat bottom clean, the engine suffered if I didn't do the fresh water flush between trips.

Talked to Marita today about the rectifier kit. Seemed a little steep for the prices i was finding online. As in over double cost. Seems like a pretty straight forward install. May just order it online.

Drained the lower unit today. Had a little bit of condensation in it but I'd imagine it's normal. What do you guys run for lube? Do you recommend synthetic?

I`ve always run standard factory lube and haven`t had a problem.

I really dislike buying from Marita so I was hoping to be able to run something else. Royal purple maybe?

Check @ Fred Meyer for lower unit lube...last time I was there they had some Quick Silver (Mercury) stuff IIRC. Haven`t seen any dedicated RP stuff.

Default 90 weight marine oil

I got some this weekend at wallmart

Sounds good. I will check this week. Ordering the rectifier kit tonight. Are there specs on the propshaft nut or is snug okay. The piranha prop was a little loose so I took it down another half turn. Feels much better now.

There may be a little bit of end-play in it...I`ve always tightened til I can get the cotter key in and thats it.

Did you get a 4-blade?

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    There may be a little bit of end-play in it...I`ve always tightened til I can get the cotter key in and thats it.

Did you get a 4-blade?
    Well the prop sits against a brass spacer. If I was to only tighten until I got the cotter pin in I am sure it would shake itself apart.

Okay guys. Got my rectifier kit in the mail and my steering/controls kit. For the life of me I can't find ant install instructions for the rectifier kit. I know where the wiring goes just not sure where to mount it. It came with a little bracket. As for the grounds, should I ground it where the rest of the motor is grounded? My owners manual doesn't show where any of it goes. Any help would be much appreciated other than take it to the dealer. I like doing things myself so when I'm out on the water and have problems I am able to fix it.

You may need to track down a service manual for the wiring diagram and part lay-out/numbers. I`m not sure on yours as my only experience is on a 3.5.