Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dall sheep. Were do you hunt em.

Talking Dall sheep. Were do you hunt em.

So I was just sitting here thinking about sheep hunting. Trying to recall the amount of time that I have put into researching areas, looking for air services to fly with on a budget, buying and trying new gear, basically just going over the whole process it takes to go out and hunt sheep.
    Realizing this year I probably can not make it out because of issues not related to hunting so I thought I would come up with a new research technique.

What I am looking for is WHERE you hunt your Dall Sheep. Not round about locations but the specific drainage and what mountain ranges and locations. Who did you fly with and how far did you have to pack in and out? How many full curls can I expect to see and how big are they?

Of course I will settle for flights into the bottom of those coveted drainages but lets not be stingey. I would prefer those flights and locations that land up high so I don't have to walk as far!

Well thanks for the info and I am sure I will sleep better tonight knowing that all the responses I get will be straight forward and very helpful.

Oh yeh the sheep that I have killed were in those one mountains, by the one airstrip, next to that one rock!

this is gonna be a good one
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default I'll bite...

Okay, I'll join in. I hate people giving too much information on the internet. I've lived here my entire life and I've spent lots of time in the woods exploring and learning new areas. I have a decent sheep spot in the Brooks Range that I hike into every year off the Dalton Highway. Over the last 4 years we have harvested 4 rams, the largest being 38.5" with 14" bases.

I don't think I'll be able to hunt there this year as my wife is pregnant with our 2nd daughter...aka I'm entering the house of estrogen. I need a really good spot close by that I can fly into and work hard for a couple days and get a nice sheep. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    So I was just sitting here thinking about sheep hunting. Trying to recall the amount of time that I have put into researching areas, looking for air services to fly with on a budget, buying and trying new gear, basically just going over the whole process it takes to go out and hunt sheep.
    Realizing this year I probably can not make it out because of issues not related to hunting so I thought I would come up with a new research technique.

What I am looking for is WHERE you hunt your Dall Sheep. Not round about locations but the specific drainage and what mountain ranges and locations. Who did you fly with and how far did you have to pack in and out? How many full curls can I expect to see and how big are they?

Of course I will settle for flights into the bottom of those coveted drainages but lets not be stingey. I would prefer those flights and locations that land up high so I don't have to walk as far!

Well thanks for the info and I am sure I will sleep better tonight knowing that all the responses I get will be straight forward and very helpful.

Oh yeh the sheep that I have killed were in those one mountains, by the one airstrip, next to that one rock!

Here's some gps coordinates a phone number for an air service an equipment list I've been having trouble with the Internet so I get dropped in mid sentence somtimes oh yeah at the secrect spot an old timer usually ties up a 40 incher for me. I only carry a .22 pistol so here are the cooridinat
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default how 'bout a trade

I'll give you my sheep spots and you tell me where you bury all of your gold.

If I give you the EXACT GPS coordinates of a small drainage on the north side of the Brooks that has held at least 3 full curl rams every year since my son and I first found it in '93, that has produced multiple rams for either myself or one of my sons, the three biggest being 39 7/8", 40 3/8' and 44 1/8", with air fare from Fairbanks at just over $3000/person as of '08 and the nearest cub strip a 17 mile hike one way would you promise to go ..... regardless of what - if anything - you draw for this year? One other fact is that even the guides for the area don't know about it since the rams winter over there and do not show up until 3 to five days before the first "keeper snow" which is usually 25 Aug to 5 Sep. Realize also that all the air taxi services that service this area will not pick up after 30 Aug. because of the high likelihood of not being able to land to pick up clients. This "Ram Valley" actually does exist and the only people that know about it are myself, 2 of my sons, and an air taxi operator that is no longer alive....oh, and the pack of wolves that were there in '08. Well, would you?

Apon the mountains and hills that form the vally where I hunt Caribou crossing Kobuk River in the falltime.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Okay, I'll join in. I hate people giving too much information on the internet. I've lived here my entire life and I've spent lots of time in the woods exploring and learning new areas. I have a decent sheep spot in the Brooks Range that I hike into every year off the Dalton Highway. Over the last 4 years we have harvested 4 rams, the largest being 38.5" with 14" bases.

I don't think I'll be able to hunt there this year as my wife is pregnant with our 2nd daughter...aka I'm entering the house of estrogen. I need a really good spot close by that I can fly into and work hard for a couple days and get a nice sheep. Thanks for the help.
    Sockeye, This is pretty straightforward. You cant make it this year so I should be there to watch over this spot off of the Dalton highway for you.

I am only willing to do this as a favor to you and in return you will owe me an even bigger favor. I'm still thinking about what this return favor will be, rest assured, this return favor will benefit me more than you.

I will need GPS coordinates to do this for you and I am impaitantly waiting for the p.m.

Since you have a growing family to feed, I feel the least I can do is drop off a sheep hind quarter on my way back home.

Reminder, impaitantly waiting for p.m.... Signed, your new best friend, Ken

We have done better inside the National Parks, there is less hunting preasure.

I'd give you my spot too, but your gonna have to wait a few more years...besides I wouldn't want to put anyone in this type of terrain, the area is also 9 GPS miles from the nearest gravel bed (which also depends on the water level) and no air strip around, that could accomodate a plane with the best STOL capability, to top that off, you have to climb like a goat, and hike like a camel, cause there is virtually no water up high, I have flown this area several times, and have evaluated its accessability......My kind of place.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I'd give you my spot too, but your gonna have to wait a few more years...besides I wouldn't want to put anyone in this type of terrain, the area is also 9 GPS miles from the nearest gravel bed (which also depends on the water level) and no air strip around, that could accomodate a plane with the best STOL capability, to top that off, you have to climb like a goat, and hike like a camel, cause there is virtually no water up high, I have flown this area several times, and have evaluated its accessability......My kind of place.
    I'll take it when your done with it. I'll even promise to send you Christmas cards w/ one of your sheep on it every year!

I have been following this thread and have been reluctant to respond or give up my honey hole. I finally decided that I am going to try a new location for sheep this year so I will give up my spot. I have had alot of good luck in this area and I hope it brings the same to which ever of you decide to give it a go. Good Luck.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...832764&t=h&z=7
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default Full curl Halibut

Not Full curl Halibut!

My spot is in the TMA........somewhere in the rocks.

You hike up in the nastiest creek canyon you can find, and get waaay back up in there. Somewhere near the head of it, there will be a ram, somewhere....

Look in the thick overlying cliffs and rocks during heat of the day, and the grasses at evening, night and morning.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default drive up hunts

lots of sheep on the turnagain arm along the hyway, you can start small with a kid, but what the heck its a sheep! even better Maybe you could catch a small ram and take it home and keep it until it gets legal then shoot it in your back yard and save yourself all that nasty hiking/ hunting thing . Hey if you catch two you could off set the expense of raising it by selling a hunt to another sportman like yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    lots of sheep on the turnagain arm along the hyway, you can start small with a kid, but what the heck its a sheep! even better Maybe you could catch a small ram and take it home and keep it until it gets legal then shoot it in your back yard and save yourself all that nasty hiking/ hunting thing . Hey if you catch two you could off set the expense of raising it by selling a hunt to another sportman like yourself!
    Heck, I've seen more than a few full curl rams right along turnagain arm, and a couple true bruisers.

Probably not a good idea if you ever want to hunt again, though.

I hunt sheep in an area between Prudhoe Bay and Tok, somewhere in the mountains.

AKhunterNp: Middleton island......great fishin hole, youll see us out there this year most likely

Release Lake Trout

I haven't hunted sheep but I saw some big ones on Dora peak last July when I was climbing it. I can't imagine that spot being a secret though.

Put down the crack pipe and BACK AWAY SIR!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast