Thread: Ketchikan gear suggestions

Default Ketchikan gear suggestions

I hope to be fishing in Ketchikan this summer in Late July, Aug & maybe Sept. I'm limited in what I can bring. I have lots of gear and plenty of different combinations. I'll be fishing mainly from the road system.

Can anyone suggest useful setups that will work. Pole length, action ratings, line test, lures, etc. would be helpful. Also is it practical to think that I might catch some bottom fish in the saltwater casting from shore? And are there any freshwater lake opportunities that are only a short hike (1-2 miles) from a parking lot?

I really don't want to hump a whole bunch of stuff up there and find out later that I don't need it.

Thanks in advance.

Off subject and perhaps not of use to you, but I thought it couldn't hurt to mention. There are numerous USFS cabins near Ketchikan you can rent for like $25/night. Most require a bush flight ranging from a few hundred to $1,200 per round trip. That would take 2 or more people and all gear in most cases. But there are some amazing areas to be seen in doing so. Going in early May to a river 40 miles from Ketchikan flyfishing for steelhead and cutthroat and already have another trip lined up for next summer to a lake deep in Misty Fjords for cutthroats. Never been to SE Alaska before and this is all brand new to me, but the opportunities are many. If interested, check out the websites below and click on the cabins section. These are two very respected pilots in Ketchikan.

http://www.familyairtours.com/

http://www.mistyfjordsair.com/

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Rod

Just bring your rod and buy all tackle local. Lots of good shopping, prices good, etc. I go there to shop for stuff quite often. As for pole and medium weight will catch salmon for spinning tackle and a fly rod of 7 weight or higher will work. Lots of shore river fishing later in summer. You'll meet folks to take you!

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default KTN fishing

As far as lures go, bring Blue Fox Pixees(3/8 oz. and 7/8 oz. silver/pink, silver/chartruse, silver/blue) and Spinners(sizes 3-5 in same color combination as pixees) Krocodile lures in sizes 1/2-1 oz.(silver)

Line size, mono in 12-20lb, or 50lb braid on baitcasting or spinning reel.

Places to go on road system:
    salt water fishing-
    Mountain point off the rocks
    Herring cove on beach
    Thomas Basin in front of boat harbor off the break water

Fresh water-
    Ward lake
    Ward creek

Hope this helps.

Default Ward Lake

Ward Lake is about 5 miles north of town with good rainbow fishing in the lake and the creek that feeds into the lake. Steelhead fishing is starting now and peaks April/May. Rainbows, and dollies are plentiful and although you are allowed to keep them most locals do C&R (steelhead are C&R only).

When the salmon start to run Ketchikan Creek, right downtown, is a no-brainer.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll post later and let you know how it goes.