Thread: reloading kit

Default reloading kit

I'm new to reloading and wanting to purchase a kit. What is a good set up without breaking the bank? I am looking at either the RCBS rock chucker supreme or the Hornady Lock-n-load classic. Will these kits have everything besides dies to get started? I am mainly going to be loading 300 ultra mags. Thanks for any help.

Wasilla, AK

The Lyman T-Mag II is a great press to start with. Reliable, simple, and the parts will last forever.

This particular kit comes with everything you'll need to get started as well as keep going well into the semi-advanced skill levels. If you reload simply to save money and not seek the utmost in accuracy, this kit and a set of Hornady New Dimension dies will likely be all you need.

Of course, once you get addicted there are countless different things you can buy to tweak and tune your load. Some are worthwhile, and some a complete waste of time and money. The fun lies in finding out what fits which of those categories

I bought the Lee Anniversary Kit. It came with everything you need except the stuff that is caliber specific (dies, case length gauge, etc). I personally am gald I bought it. The press is a great press and as far as I'm concerned just about every single stage press is the same. I don't see the need to spend more on a single stage when mine works just fine and feels rock solid. The powder measure that comes with it is very accurate and always gives me the same amount of powder everytime (although I check every ten rounds to be sure).

The only complaint about the whole kit is the scale. It's something I plan on upgrading soon, but for $120.00 from Sportsmans it's hard to beat.

Kodiak, Ak

Default Look 'em over in detail

I have a feeling most of the presses are similar but I would look the kits over good to see what all is in there,

I'm real happy with the Rockchucker press I got in a kit but have had to add so many things to really get started it is kind of a marketing illusion that you'll have all you need in the kit.

I'm pretty new so it is a barely informed opinion, but I have had to add a lot of stuff, some expensive like a Wilson Case Trimmer, (you don't need this for about your first three loading/firings and then you are finished until you find a way to trim those cases), don't know why they don't include that key piece.

Also, off the top of my head, Good Caliper $70, Powder trickler, extra loading blocks, getting fancy with a Neck Sizing Die on top of the Full Sizing Die, and then crazy stuff that I don't know how you can do without if you read the three or four manuals you end up with, those are Primer Pocket Uniformer, shallow angle deburring tool, the cooler wood handle Chamfer tool,

Get the picture? I've thought of tallying my reciepts and posting the results of total cost for my first 100 rounds but it scares me to death

RCBS and Hornady kits look good but get ready to have fun spending more money
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Fort Carson, Colorado

Sportsman warehouse in wasilla has the lyman kit is comes with the Lyman crusher press, digital scale, powders thrower, case trimmer and something else for around 389 if I remember right that is a smoking deal.

I do agree that some of the more expensive kits come with some more quality items, but I looked at it as a way to get in to the hobby and see if I was going to like it without getting in too deep. The Lee kit comes with most of the things you listed (case trimmer, primer pocket cleaner, deburring tool, etc.). They may not be the best tools on the market and some of them may require more work, but by buying that stuff first and gradually working your way up you really appreciate those nice expensive tools once you buy them (digital scale, brass tumbler, etc.) I do agree that you should have a nice digital caliper though. I've had one for a few years that I use for working on engines with so that was one expense I could skip. Here's the link to the kit and some other peoples opinions on it.