Thread: Bell and Carlson stocks

Default Bell and Carlson stocks

You know I was thinking and you hardly every hear anyone talk about Bell and Carlson stocks. It's all about Mcmillan I remember a yrs ago Bell and carlson stock were the thing. So my question who here has recently messed with one of the Bell and Carlson carbelite stock? Looking at one for semi custom job on ruger tang safety 77.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    You know I was thinking and you hardly every hear anyone talk about Bell and Carlson stocks. It's all about Mcmillan I remember a yrs ago Bell and carlson stock were the thing. So my question who here has recently messed with one of the Bell and Carlson carbelite stock? Looking at one for semi custom job on ruger tang safety 77.
    "yrs ago" the one I bought for about $100.00 was CRAP. It wasn't Bolt-In, as advertised. It was mostly foam with paint on the outside. It didn't fit. The holes were crooked. It was heavier than wood. They didn't respond to my Emails. Also, it was UGLY, and NOT at all like the ones I had seen in the stores around town.

I had to have it glass bedded by a Gunsmith, and he didn't do a good job. I took it off my rifle, and it's been hanging out there in the storage building for yrs, and yrs.

I notice they have a lot of different models nowadays, and maybe they're OK now, but I promised them, and myself, I'd NEVER do business with them EVER again.

A man of my ignoble character, can often bear a grudge for a long time, while waiting for an opportunity to get even.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I put a B&C on my Ruger tang safety 270 Win about 22 years ago. I sold it a few years ago. It was shooting about 3 MOA and I'm not sure if the stock had anything to do with it. It was a cheap stock for sure, but it did seen to fit OK.

I think the B&C Medalist is a great stock but they don't make them for Ruger. Ruger has that convoluted angled front screw design which makes bedding a challange.

I personally wont get a stock that isn't pillar or full aluminum bedded. You can take your chances with the Carbelite. It will be hard to find an after market drop in for the tang safety Ruger. I believe McMillan makes them.

I have one on a p17 enfield and recently put one on a mauser 98. Both are very nice stocks and have proven to be pretty easy to work with. THey aren't as light as some of the others and do need bedded but other than that they are very surviceable stocks. I wouldn't hesitate to use one again.

Default years ago

when I worked for the OLD Gun Traders on Muldoon, we got the bid to put together 18 .375 H&Hs Mark Xs for F&G guards. I didn't get to pick the stocks and the boss got 18 Bell & Carlson stocks, the early ones with the funky looking rear sling keeper and the lousy stock material. By time I got done setting up and bedding those pieces of ca-ca, I needed counseling. There are better stocks on the market even now. I'd even rather have a Hogue Overmolded.

If you are looking for a synthetic stock for a tang safety Ruger, and aren't afraid of a little hand work, which you'd better not be if you're considering a B&C, you will be much better off with a Bansner. They are probably more expensive( not for sure as I haven't priced a B&C for about 6 or 7 yrs), they need to be glassed, painted, and have a pad ground, but they are many times the stock a B&C could ever hope to be. The Bansner is a good bit cheaper than a McMillian, and I think they are stouter as well, they just require more effort.

The last time I fitted and bedded a B&C, I did a Bansner on the same day, prep work was about half, and if I was being timed I honestly think I could finish a Bansner faster, including painting, bedding, and grinding a pad to fit, as opposed to just fitting and bedding a Carbelite. I try my best to beg customers out of using them as I hate dealing with the dang things.

All that aside, my Old Man has had a B&C on his 700 ADL for a long time now and is very happy with it, even when I tell him it's heavier than his wood stock, not to mention uglier to boot. I think he either had the old gunsmith back home fit it or sent the gun to B&C, but its been on there for a very long time and fits fairly well.